Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,901 times

Advertisements

I am really worried that I may have ruined a great opportunity. Recently I went through the entire hiring process with a great company. Aced all three interviews and received a job offer that I gladly accepted. I finished my drug test and it cleared with no issues of course. The problem now is with the employment background check.

I put on my resume that i worked at my last place of employment for 5 months longer than I had really been there. It was a contract job and I had to leave one month into it due to health reasons. I stupidly extended the date to avoid having to explain why I stayed for such a short period of time and to avoid the unemployment gap.

The contractor I use only provides a work number for anyone asking about prior work experience. The company has hired a third party vendor to perform my background check. Do you think that my job offer will be rescinded due to the employment date discrepancy? I'm not sure if the third party vendor will look up the work number or if its existence is sufficient enough to verify my employment.

I've been really stressed about this and any input would be appreciated. Are there any steps I should do or is my only option to wait it out and see what happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 02:31 PM

4,379 posts, read 2,874,123 times
1. They might not notice.
2. You would have been better off putting down the real dates on the background check form and hope they didn't notice.
3. Did you list them as current employer? If so, you can request they not be contacted.
4. List a fake number and pretend to be the employer.
5. People on here are notorious for preaching and making you feel bad and saying how you should never lie and you should confess. I wouldn't confess in this situation.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
1. They might not notice.
2. You would have been better off putting down the real dates on the background check form and hope they didn't notice.
3. Did you list them as current employer? If so, you can request they not be contacted.
4. List a fake number and pretend to be the employer.
5. People on here are notorious for preaching and making you feel bad and saying how you should never lie and you should confess. I wouldn't confess in this situation.
1)They only gave me a single background check form that only required me to fill in personal information. None of it had asked for employment information otherwise I probably would have given the accurate data.

2) Unfortunately I did not, but on the form i previously mentioned they did have a box asking whether they could contact previous employers and I checked no. The other day I received an email from a lady from the third party vendor asking me for the staffing agency I used and their address which I provided as well as the employment dates. I'm assuming she's basing it off of my resume so I kept the dates the same. I don't know why they asked if they can contact previous employers and still go through with it after I said no, haha.

Because of her question there really is no opportunity to fake a number and I think you're right about just sitting quiet for now. Only issue now is what I say if they bring up the discrepancy with me if they catch it. Sigh, I don't know what got into my mind to lie about such a stupid thing.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:01 PM

I would tell the lady that you did not give permission to contact your "current" employer. If it is a "previous" employer you don't have an excuse.

Typically background checks are based off separate forms you fill out and give to them.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:53 PM

13,055 posts, read 20,713,120 times
My perspective is that of the employer. When we do background checks, the compiling entity gets both the background form and the resume.

The first thing they do is check the form against the resume to see if they match. Any discrepancies within the parameters we establish for them will be flagged. Usually a minor (rounding off) discrepancies mean nothing, but months and years will raise red flags.

Next they run what the call a FID check. This is a database agencies use to log telephone numbers provided for various checks. So, if you give a phone number for ABC Corp which is really your fried Joe, if Joe was also used with that number to pretend to be XYZ Technologies, it will flag the entry.

As for "Do Not Contact", most background companies will not contact a current employer if their client says not to contact current employers if the candidate doesn't want them contacted. Not all abide by this and a do not contact may still result in a contact.

However, the issue of how the company will respond if a discrepancy is noted is really up to that company. Some will forgive these minor things if you are what they wanted and the flubbing really isn't materiel. Others take a harder line and will not accept deception. About the only thing you can do is be prepared to offer a reasonable explanation if it's discovered and it is an issue with them.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
My perspective is that of the employer. When we do background checks, the compiling entity gets both the background form and the resume.

The first thing they do is check the form against the resume to see if they match. Any discrepancies within the parameters we establish for them will be flagged. Usually a minor (rounding off) discrepancies mean nothing, but months and years will raise red flags.

Next they run what the call a FID check. This is a database agencies use to log telephone numbers provided for various checks. So, if you give a phone number for ABC Corp which is really your fried Joe, if Joe was also used with that number to pretend to be XYZ Technologies, it will flag the entry.

As for "Do Not Contact", most background companies will not contact a current employer if their client says not to contact current employers if the candidate doesn't want them contacted. Not all abide by this and a do not contact may still result in a contact.

However, the issue of how the company will respond if a discrepancy is noted is really up to that company. Some will forgive these minor things if you are what they wanted and the flubbing really isn't materiel. Others take a harder line and will not accept deception. About the only thing you can do is be prepared to offer a reasonable explanation if it's discovered and it is an issue with them.
I've read around the forums people claiming that a few month disparity is not a big enough deal to raise a red flag though? Or that they will let it slide, is this not usually the case?

Old 10-09-2017, 10:58 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,957,211 times
I can only speak for myself, but I would not let a 5 month discrepancy slide. That is clearly falsifying work history.

I would let a month long discrepancy pass if it happened long enough ago that it is plausible that the candidate forgot the details. Of course that would be balanced by a month long discrepancy in the other direction for the next job.

5 months to cover unemployment? You fail the background and I rescind the job offer.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:13 AM

17,100 posts, read 11,943,054 times
5 month discrepancy on a 5+ year job, not a big deal. 5 month discrepancy on a 1 month job on the other hand would at least require a chat to talk about why you did that if not outright rescind.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
5 month discrepancy on a 5+ year job, not a big deal. 5 month discrepancy on a 1 month job on the other hand would at least require a chat to talk about why you did that if not outright rescind.
Well I passed the background check thankfully, lesson learned not to fabricate anything because it really is not worth it. I doubt I would not have received the interview based on the gap and all the stress really had its toll on me. I can understand how it could cost someone the job..

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Old 10-09-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethie View Post
Well I passed the background check thankfully, lesson learned not to fabricate anything because it really is not worth it. I doubt I would not have received the interview based on the gap and all the stress really had its toll on me. I can understand how it could cost someone the job..

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Nice. It seems like more often than not people get away with it. Chances are a discrepancy went up and no one noticed or cared babout cause they are common in background checks. They are very imperfect.
You listed this as your current job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search