U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2017, 10:59 AM
 
10 posts, read 6,282 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am hoping to get some help with making a career change. I have been a teacher for years and each year I dislike it more and more. I have taught multiple grades and worked in various states and districts (charter, public, and private) and nothing seems to make a difference. I am single and therefore do not have any other income to rely on except my own. I am open to taking a pay cut, just not anything too drastic (as in, I can't go down to part time work or take a year off to go to school). I will need benefits and some sort of a retirement plan, as I am 36 and I feel that it's important for me to be thinking about those things.

While I love photography and have a portfolio and some amateur experience, I don't believe it is something that will pay the bills right away, and won't offer anything up as far as benefits and retirement. People I know have suggested staying within education and looking for a different type of job, such as selling curriculum or proctoring tests. I wouldn't mind doing those kinds of things, but so far have been coming up short with finding any opportunities that match. So, I'm pretty much open to whatever else I can find that will pay be a salary.


My problem is that I'm having trouble completing a resume.

1) I don't have experience with anything besides teaching. I know there are some transferrable skills, such as collaboration, working with parents, creating lesson plans, etc. But I feel like my skills end there, which takes up about half a page. What else can I include? All of my certificates are for teaching. I have never received an award or had training for anything else.

2) I want to try and target my resume to a specific job, but I honestly don't know what I am qualified for and am sort of desperate, so I am just looking at everything. I been spending time on career builder, linked in, indeed, etc, but nothing stands out. I would like to create a resume where I can just have one readily available for anything that looks like it might work, where I can just tweak it a bit to tailor it to the specific job I'm applying for. Just feeling stuck.

If anyone has any tips on writing a great resume for a career change, I'd really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2017, 04:54 PM
ERH
 
Location: Cary, NC
1,141 posts, read 1,634,638 times
Reputation: 2018
My colleagues Wendy Enelow and Louise Kursmark wrote a great book on the subject: Expert Resumes for Career Changers. It's a few years old but still valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2017, 07:23 PM
 
10 posts, read 6,282 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
My colleagues Wendy Enelow and Louise Kursmark wrote a great book on the subject: Expert Resumes for Career Changers. It's a few years old but still valid.
Thank you, I'll check them out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2017, 01:27 PM
 
1,893 posts, read 801,717 times
Reputation: 2075
It is extremely hard to make too drastic of a career change just by applying to jobs. I would keep teaching and use your network to be your eyes and ears for other careers you might be a fit for. I'm sure you meet a lot of parents? Let them know you are looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2017, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Dallas
9 posts, read 4,073 times
Reputation: 21
In 2011, I quit teaching. I'd been teaching for 7 years at the time that I quit. When I say I understand your pain, trust me, I understand! My last year was the hardest. I spent a ton of time after school crying at my desk because of all the politics that prevented me from teaching my students effectively.

It was a little awkward to start over, but let me tell you, it's not as hard as you think. In fact, most employers were excited to interview and/or hire a teacher because they know we're coming to the table with a ton of soft skills that can easily transfer to almost any positions we apply for.

From what I read, I didn't see what industry you were specifically wanting to target. Are you open to ANY industry? What exactly are you looking for in your next career path?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2017, 08:44 PM
 
10 posts, read 6,282 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayB View Post
In 2011, I quit teaching. I'd been teaching for 7 years at the time that I quit. When I say I understand your pain, trust me, I understand! My last year was the hardest. I spent a ton of time after school crying at my desk because of all the politics that prevented me from teaching my students effectively.

It was a little awkward to start over, but let me tell you, it's not as hard as you think. In fact, most employers were excited to interview and/or hire a teacher because they know we're coming to the table with a ton of soft skills that can easily transfer to almost any positions we apply for.

From what I read, I didn't see what industry you were specifically wanting to target. Are you open to ANY industry? What exactly are you looking for in your next career path?
Thanks ShayB! It sounds like you were definitely in a similar position to me. I am grateful for the encouragement because right now I'm feeling pretty stuck! I am pretty open to any industry, and would love a job that I don't need to bring tons of work home with me. Mainly I'm just trying to find out what's even out there so that I can narrow it down, but at this point, I'd probably take anything where I wasn't made to feel like I'm not good enough every day. I work really hard and I get things done...but it also burns me out. What did you go into after you quit teaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2017, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Dallas
9 posts, read 4,073 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasound View Post
Thanks ShayB! It sounds like you were definitely in a similar position to me. I am grateful for the encouragement because right now I'm feeling pretty stuck! I am pretty open to any industry, and would love a job that I don't need to bring tons of work home with me. Mainly I'm just trying to find out what's even out there so that I can narrow it down, but at this point, I'd probably take anything where I wasn't made to feel like I'm not good enough every day. I work really hard and I get things done...but it also burns me out. What did you go into after you quit teaching?
No problem!

I went into real estate first. Stayed in that industry for a couple of years and then went into insurance and then compliance.

There is a (steep?) learning curve so Im not going to lie and say it'll be easy.

But, if you're willing to work for it, there are some good industries out there. (And you won't be taking home any papers to grade...and there won't be any state standardized testing...ahhhh yea!)

How have you been doing your research on the industries you want to get into?
If you want, you can Private Message and we can continue going in depth there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2017, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Middle America
36,606 posts, read 41,886,642 times
Reputation: 50408
I left the field at 36, also. I had done other things prior to teaching, so my resume is pretty varied. I am currently finishing a graduate degree, and will work in counseling psych, which is something my latter years of teaching got me interested in pursuing (I had worked with some students with extreme behavioral health needs). Each type of work I've done has been a natural flow into the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2018, 12:50 AM
 
Location: USA
8 posts, read 4,071 times
Reputation: 13
Hello, this is a normal wish to make a change in your career. I had the same fears before I decided to be a hairdresser. I had been working as a manager in the consulting company for 20 years and it was difficult to change my career. Hairdressing was just like some hobby because I cut hair to my friends, to my relatives and they were happy with my work. Thanks to the Resume Writing Lab Company I get a professional resume that helps me to find a job as a hairdresser. This Company showed me practical tips on how to write an effective resume and how to describe my skills that catch the eye. I started my hairdresser career as a beginner but now I have a full list of my own clients. You have to highlight in your resume the buzzwords and keywords that the job is asking for that helps the employers clear to see that you are an experienced candidate. Your resume should be informative and grammatically polished, you should convey all your skills in the resume. Don't be afraid to start your new life !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 11:37 AM
 
1,893 posts, read 801,717 times
Reputation: 2075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretor_ View Post
Hello, this is a normal wish to make a change in your career. I had the same fears before I decided to be a hairdresser. I had been working as a manager in the consulting company for 20 years and it was difficult to change my career. Hairdressing was just like some hobby because I cut hair to my friends, to my relatives and they were happy with my work. Thanks to the Resume Writing Lab Company I get a professional resume that helps me to find a job as a hairdresser. This Company showed me practical tips on how to write an effective resume and how to describe my skills that catch the eye. I started my hairdresser career as a beginner but now I have a full list of my own clients. You have to highlight in your resume the buzzwords and keywords that the job is asking for that helps the employers clear to see that you are an experienced candidate. Your resume should be informative and grammatically polished, you should convey all your skills in the resume. Don't be afraid to start your new life !!!
This has to be a joke. Consulting manager to hair dresser? You had to hire a resume company for your hair dresser resume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top