Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 05:55 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times

Advertisements

Entry level relocating is a huge challenge for most fields. I have relocated several times, but I have generally worked in a niche industry with national recruitment.

We will interview entry level people from out of state, but we do expect them to pay for all interview expenses as well as relocation. We only pay interview or relocation for fairly senior positions.

I am afraid I have to agree with the other posters. If you want to relocate, you are probably going to have to move first, then look for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 05:55 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,412,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You and one other?
Easier than with two kids in tow as well.
---

If you don't have the skill & experience to be recruited for that skill...
and you insist that you can't relocate without a job lined up first...
then you need to focus on gaining that recruitable skill.

That's the choice: get the skill where you are or where you want to be.
I have the skills and meet the requirements for the jobs I apply for. I've been contacted by phone or email by companies in DC, Nashville, Tampa, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Miami, Baltimore, etc, so I'm definitely a potential fit. The big strike is just my address.

And the thing is, they don't say "oh you dont live here? Nevermind, bye." They typically say "well if you do plan to be around soon, please let us know", so I'm sure I interest them, I just don't have the location.

And my girlfriend would be coming with me wherever I go. But she lives on the other end of the state, so that makes it more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
You basically have to lie and say you already live there OR write a cover letter saying you will pay for all travel and relocation expenses (I've done both) Honestly, I would just move there if you think you can find a job in 1-2 months. That's what I was considering.

If you only have internship experience, there is no way they would consider you not being local. But then if that is all the experience you have, chances are you don't make much anyways, so just move there and get some part time jobs while searching.
Don't want to lie. It'll just come back to bite. I guess I can try adding an honest willing to relocate on my cover, even though I usually have that option on the application.

Sorry but your last paragraph is false. I have the experience required, and the pay is good for entry level. I just don't have the address, which I guess we've established.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:59 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times
At my employer, for entry level employees the first interview IS the final interview. If you cannot show up in person, I question your commitment to the position.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
At my employer, for entry level employees the first interview IS the final interview. If you cannot show up in person, I question your commitment to the position.
I guess it depends. I'm typically told there will be more than one, but I'm sure plenty of places are one and done.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:37 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 671,693 times
My tale of interviewing for out of state jobs would be too long to tell. I'll just say it lasted 4+ years. Most of it, I was stuck in the same dead end job with pay below where I should have been. For the very end, I was laid off. I came seemingly close a handful of times before inevitably hitting a brick wall each time. Right as I was about to run out of unemployment, I finally received an offer. The first few months, I would work remotely. If it all went well, I would relocate (at my own expense) to Memphis, TN. That's where I am now and have been for just over 2 months.

I had some years of experience. I have to imagine entry level would be extremely difficult to do so without very strong connections.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,276,294 times
We moved from NJ to NC/SC and the ONLY way we were able to accomplish it was selling the house and dumping all the profits from the sale (which was a hefty chunk of change) into savings. When then moved to SC into a short-term rental apartment and I began the job hunt while my husband began taking his state-specific realtor license classes needed to continue being a realtor, but in our new area.

I was also fortunate that I had contacts in the area and through networking was able to get an interview and job offer relatively quickly. I had also signed up with a recruiter once I arrived to boost the job search in case I had difficulties.

Once I had a job and had a couple paychecks under my belt, we began househunting and found a house we both liked pretty quickly. Moving day was the same day our 3-month rental lease ended.

I say, if you have a lot of cash in savings that can be used to move and live on for 6-8 months (minimum), then consider just moving to the new area, rent a cheap apartment for a while, and begin the job hunt. Once you start the new job, look for new digs in the area in which you want to settle down.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:49 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,140,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
it may be because I'm entry level
I think you are onto something with this. I interviewed for a number of positions in other cities once I had a few years of experience under my belt, especially once I was established in my field. I have received job offers multiple times for positions in other cities, including relocation packages.

It does seem as though for entry level positions, local candidates would be preferred as there is no reason to go through the inconvenience of interviewing and hiring a non-local candidate. The only industry I have worked in and seen out-of-town/state candidates hired is professional sports sales. You would have to pay your own relocation expenses.

I don't recommend lying about your residence, or anything else for that matter.

Good luck!

Old 10-24-2017, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the good lucks and advice, but I'm over the search. My main focus now is graduate school. I've spent too much time waiting on these companies like a sad dog waiting by the front door, and I dont have the resources to just pick a city, get up, and go move.

But all the advice given in this thread I'll keep note of for the future. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
They typically say "well if you do plan to be around soon, please let us know"
well bless their hearts.

Quote:
I have the experience required, and the pay is good for entry level.
I just don't have the address, which I guess we've established.
All we've "established" is that you need to get the local address.
That means relocating there and WITHOUT a job lined up.

If you're confident of your skills then GO.
Relocating will never be easier than it is now.

Just be prepared for X months of looking once there...
and be willing to work some lesser job until the better one shows up.
GF can do the same.

Quote:
My main focus now is graduate school.
Where will you do that? And who pays for it?

https://www.gograd.org/financial-aid...r-grad-school/

Last edited by MrRational; 10-25-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-05-2018, 11:28 AM

10 posts, read 7,846 times
How did this relocation work for you. I’ve tried the same thing even to the point of renting an apartment. I ran into an issue of not having a job in my new state. I have money saved up but was denied because I don’t have a job in the new state. I’ve been working at this for 6 months now. I’ve flown out for interviews and paid application fees for a place twice which was non refundable. I’m still in my old state and still working my same job. How do I get out of this loop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search