Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 12:12 PM

18 posts, read 25,541 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I feel quite down at the moment. I just wanted to share my recent job hunting adventure with you guys!

I am a professional with 7+plus years of experience in the biotech field. I recently got interested with an advertised position in a big pharma. Actually hiring manager approached me first, as my resume was on their files from an earlier application.

I went through a screening call from HR. 4-5 days later hiring manager gave me a call. 2 weeks after I was invited for an onsite interview. 8AM-6PM, gave 1hr talk to whole department. I met 13 or 14 people on that day, attended a panel interview. About 1,5weeks did not hear a word. Finally, hiring manager emailed me for the references. I provided 4, yes 4, refs to them. First week he was traveling, did not contact to them, following week all 4 got 30-40min long phone calls. All gave me very positive feedback and enjoyed their call with the manager.

After ref calls, I got another email from hiring manager that his boss wants to talk to me on the phone. And I had another phone call with hiring manager's manager for about 45minutes. It went also well.

After 1 week, today, I found that the job listing is now Closed. And I am not getting any response to my emails.

Meanwhile they opened multiple other similar positions. Go figure out...

What do you think, i guess it is time to move on for me... I lost my passion on this opportunity anyways. I allocated a considerable amount of time to all these, delayed many experiments/projects on the current job, was not expecting this outcome.

But hey, as they say: Assume Nothing!.

Take care and good luck to everyone!!!

Stay Positive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevimli View Post
After 1 week, today, I found that the job listing is now Closed.
And I am not getting any response to my emails.

Meanwhile they opened multiple other similar positions. Go figure out...
What do you think ?
Too soon to say it's not just a clerical matter so absolutely do CALL them again.
By that I mean talk to the person(s) you have met there and ask pointedly.
Do not send email.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:26 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Them not responding to your emails is not a good sign. The boss wanting to talk to you after the reference checks also is weird. That tells me they might still be unsure. Them closing the positing could mean multiple things. They might have decided that that exact position isn't needed and that's why the posted other positions in place of it (happened to me). They might have filled it with someone else OR just decided they had enough applicants or people to extend an offer to. It seems like they are taking their time regardless and are not in a hurry to hire.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Them not responding to your emails is not a good sign. The boss wanting to talk to you after the reference checks also is weird. That tells me they might still be unsure. Them closing the positing could mean multiple things. They might have decided that that exact position isn't needed and that's why the posted other positions in place of it (happened to me). They might have filled it with someone else OR just decided they had enough applicants or people to extend an offer to. It seems like they are taking their time regardless and are not in a hurry to hire.
Thanks!

The manager's boss had to flight out on a short notice, the day I was interviewing onsite. Originally I was scheduled to meet 1-to-1 with him, but did not happened. But it is strange that they scheduled the phone call after checking my references...

They are slow as you pointed out, all these have started on late August-early September! Can you believe it?

Old 10-25-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Too soon to say it's not just a clerical matter so absolutely do CALL them again.
By that I mean talk to the person(s) you have met there and ask pointedly.
Do not send email.
I will "call" the manager, the last thing I heard was that he supposed to meet with his boss before deciding on the candidates... So far just radio silence

Old 10-25-2017, 06:40 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,610 times
i wouldn't reach out again- makes you look desperate. Are you unemployed? You'll likely hear something next week - good luck

Old 10-25-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
i wouldn't reach out again- makes you look desperate. Are you unemployed? You'll likely hear something next week - good luck
Thanks!

That's why I only reached them out after the onsite visit or phone interview to thank for their time.

So far, I emailed them twice to check my application status. I think i am still OK, but not getting a response is a big bummer!

Also, I am a little familiar how their HR works, and according to my sources HR takes down a listing only after a candidate officially accepts the offer, not even while an offer is being made.

Luckily I am employed, not the greatest paycheck but it is just enough to feed my family!

I don't have much hope left after all...

Old 10-25-2017, 08:38 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,610 times
you never know; they may be planning to extend to you.. i'd try not to sweat it and see what happens. Always best to keep applying until you have a firm offer in hand if you're not happy with you're current job.

hope it works out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search