Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 08:41 AM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 868,880 times

Advertisements

Have you ever accepted a job offer sight unseen...when relocation was involved?

I have a seemingly great job offer on the table but some things are giving me pause.

1. At this point, it's still a verbal offer
2. It was offered to me after one phone conversation
3. I haven't had a chance to meet anyone from the team in person

I should also note that I have two other offers that are local, and while the overall packages aren't as good, I have met the teams, would like the work, and there aren't so many unknowns hanging over my head.

Is it unreasonable to ask to fly out to meet the team before making a decision? If they agree, are they unlikely to foot the bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 09:31 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her View Post
Is it unreasonable to ask to fly out to meet the team before making a decision?
Nope.

Quote:
If they agree, are they unlikely to foot the bill?
Nope.

Why wouldn't they agree to you visiting them?
Most people who seek jobs in other cities have to move there before even applying.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
I wouldn't accept an offer without visiting first. MAYBE if they had stellar Glassdoor reviews or are a very reputable company, but I don't think a very reputable company would do that.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:46 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
An offer is only a real offer when an offer letter is in hand. A verbal offer is not a job offer.

And no, I've never accepted a job offer without a face to face meeting, how does that even work for legitimate jobs? I've had to physically interview for every job interview I've had for the past 20 years.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
An offer is only a real offer when an offer letter is in hand. A verbal offer is not a job offer.

And no, I've never accepted a job offer without a face to face meeting, how does that even work for legitimate jobs? I've had to physically interview for every job interview I've had for the past 20 years.
It is really common in the federal government and not uncommon in in state government. I accepted my current job without seeing anyone in person and I know others who also interviewed via phone for jobs in other states. I had a coworker at my old job who interviewed via phone even though he was actually interviewing for a job in a different agency in his same building because management was physically located in a city 4 hours away. Many other places also offer Skype interviews. It’s quite expensive to fly people out.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:05 PM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 868,880 times
Thanks for the replies! I'm pretty weary of giving up a sure thing for a verbal offer. Because of how the timeline is working out, I'd have to pass on the other two jobs BEFORE I even get an offer in writing from the other place. I'm also not comfortable starting a job and jumping ship one or two weeks in.

I offered to fly out on my own dime for the first interview and they declined. A skype interview wouldn't have cost anything, but they said a phone interview was sufficient. This isn't an entry level job, and it's not temp, so it does strike me as off. I checked with my references and none of them were contacted.

It is a reputable company, online reviews all seem fairly positive, etc. I'm going to suggest at least a Skype interview and see what happens.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:49 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
I have never heard of hiring someone based on a phone interview. You are right to be cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search