Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 12:10 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Not all of us are like this, but 90% of my colleagues phone it in. The various and sundry certifications mean NOTHING, either, which is sad, because those used to signal a distinct level of mastery. May I recommend an excellent book to guide you? Resume Magic is as comprehensive as it gets.
I will never use one again. I can't get over the lack of imagination. I did it 10 years ago and got a job. However, the next employer did not like it because it was functional resume. The recruiter changed it to a chronological resume and I got the job. Thanks for the recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevimli View Post
Do you mind sharing the total cost of this to you?

I do consider using such a service and wondering the cost associated with it.

Thanks!
I paid a painful $225. I saw another one for $695. I got hosed. I would think this would be a relatively easy gig for a writer. I guess not. Lol!

Old 12-05-2017, 10:30 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
I don’t know that a resume needs to be imaginative. I wrote professionally, but I wouldn’t do resumes. People see their accomplishments the way they want to and it’s too personal a thing for me to take on. Same with a memoir or a personal blog (though I write lots of corporate blog posts). Too risky to put in all they work and have it not be what the client wants.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:33 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
There's nothing you can do to get your money back. Move on with your life, consider part of loss in life. You came to the world without anything to offer to your parents in the first place, so is ok to loss something along the way in life because we are all simply borrowing from the society. The moment we die, nothing matters. Feel better.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I don’t know that a resume needs to be imaginative. I wrote professionally, but I wouldn’t do resumes. People see their accomplishments the way they want to and it’s too personal a thing for me to take on. Same with a memoir or a personal blog (though I write lots of corporate blog posts). Too risky to put in all they work and have it not be what the client wants.
The writer did not put in any work. It was just reformatted. I am not sure how difficult it is to read a resume and present a well written finished product.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
That's what you are generally paying for with resume services: a few new adjectives, a few sentences re-worded, pretty formatting, etc...

only YOU know what you have accomplished in your past jobs and what your duties were so all they can really do it try to make it sound a bit different and move things around.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
That's what you are generally paying for with resume services: a few new adjectives, a few sentences re-worded, pretty formatting, etc...

only YOU know what you have accomplished in your past jobs and what your duties were so all they can really do it try to make it sound a bit different and move things around.
They did not do that.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:18 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
While they aren't my favorite projects, I do on occasion rewrite resumes for people. On a few, I've had to dig deep into my imagination in order to make something sound good. There are only so many ways that you can describe "fry cook" before you have to break out the thesaurus and the fiction writer hat. I'll freely admit that I've done resumes which were only loosely based on actual events on occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

I disagree. A good resume writer is able to take mundane jobs and describe them in such a way that they resemble Fortune 500 work. Goodlife36 got hosed if what he describes is accurate. Especially at the price of $225.

It really isn't that hard to change "Ditch Digger" into "Shallow Trench Excavation Expert," after all.

If the writer had clear instructions as to how the resume was to be written, I'd be disputing the charge until they took me to court for it. There is an expectation that the product will meet the requirements and/or description when you purchase a product, and this one clearly didn't.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
While they aren't my favorite projects, I do on occasion rewrite resumes for people. On a few, I've had to dig deep into my imagination in order to make something sound good. There are only so many ways that you can describe "fry cook" before you have to break out the thesaurus and the fiction writer hat. I'll freely admit that I've done resumes which were only loosely based on actual events on occasion.

I disagree. A good resume writer is able to take mundane jobs and describe them in such a way that they resemble Fortune 500 work. Goodlife36 got hosed if what he describes is accurate. Especially at the price of $225.

It really isn't that hard to change "Ditch Digger" into "Shallow Trench Excavation Expert," after all.

If the writer had clear instructions as to how the resume was to be written, I'd be disputing the charge until they took me to court for it. There is an expectation that the product will meet the requirements and/or description when you purchase a product, and this one clearly didn't.
I decided to leave it because I was putting too much time in to it. Lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search