Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:16 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

So, I just got released by the doctor to go back to work. I was on FMLA and receiving disability. Now that is done with and so I let my "Employer" know I am released. (Had hip surgery 10/16)

However, they don't want me back (Office manager didn't realize I was on FMLA) and told me "You need to find a new job" so that's kind of letting me know that "You're not welcome back" (I was always that "That's good enough" work style while some wanted "Walk on water" style)

I have 19 weeks of UI left. There's some jobs further south (Oregon) but I was planning to wait till March to then apply for those jobs if nothing here in Washington turned up. Till then apply for jobs I "Might" have a shot at.

So, wait till something up here shows up or apply for those agency jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 02:07 PM

674 posts, read 608,241 times
If you are on FMLA, your company *has* to take you back.

Your post is confusing: you are receiving disability (permanently?) at the same time that you have "10 weeks of Unemployment Insurance left"?

You mentioned in another post you're 57.5. What are your skills? IMO the job market is as good as it can get, so if you want a new job you should apply now.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:37 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,213 times
The job market is finally starting to get stronger. Still too few good paying jobs, but things are improving. Everyone gets a pay increase come February whether they deserve it or not!

Old 01-04-2018, 02:40 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
So, I just got released by the doctor to go back to work. I was on FMLA and receiving disability. Now that is done with and so I let my "Employer" know I am released. (Had hip surgery 10/16)

However, they don't want me back (Office manager didn't realize I was on FMLA) and told me "You need to find a new job" so that's kind of letting me know that "You're not welcome back" (I was always that "That's good enough" work style while some wanted "Walk on water" style)

I have 19 weeks of UI left. There's some jobs further south (Oregon) but I was planning to wait till March to then apply for those jobs if nothing here in Washington turned up. Till then apply for jobs I "Might" have a shot at.

So, wait till something up here shows up or apply for those agency jobs?
Call an attorney ASAP. If what you say is true and you can document it, you will be getting a nice settlement check from your previous employer.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
If you are on FMLA, your company *has* to take you back.

Your post is confusing: you are receiving disability (permanently?) at the same time that you have "10 weeks of Unemployment Insurance left"?

You mentioned in another post you're 57.5. What are your skills? IMO the job market is as good as it can get, so if you want a new job you should apply now.

First No the company does not "Have to" take me back.

Another exception to the reinstatement requirement is if the employer can show that the employee would have been fired even if the employee had not taken FMLA leave. This is called the "positive elimination defense." For example, if an employer closes a factory because business is bad, the employer would not have to reinstate an employee returning from FMLA leave.
Rights and Responsibilities Under the FMLA - FindLaw

Basically I was "Furloughed" previous to the hip surgery.

I'm stunned you somehow missed this: So, I just got >>>released<<< by the doctor to go back to work. I was on FMLA and receiving disability. Now >>>that is done with<<< and so I let my "Employer" know I am >>>released<<<. (Had hip surgery 10/16)

I also still have 19 weeks of UI, not 10 (I had been previously "Furloughed" from work) so I used that till surgery.

Thanks for the last part, that was more towards a answer to my quesiton, not all this excess complaints which had no bearing.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Call an attorney ASAP. If what you say is true and you can document it, you will be getting a nice settlement check from your previous employer.
Not quite true. They had me already on "Furlough" so the exception of "Well, he was going to be let go anyway" may apply.

but that wasn't my quesiton now was it?

Old 01-04-2018, 04:18 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
I would wait. . Its brutal out there now in most places. May as well dedicate your free time on UI to find the best job possible. Sure theres jobs out there but most are just lousy pay and/or temp work

4 plus months of UI? Definitely take your time to find a good job

Old 01-04-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I would wait. . Its brutal out there now in most places. May as well dedicate your free time on UI to find the best job possible. Sure theres jobs out there but most are just lousy pay and/or temp work

4 plus months of UI? Definitely take your time to find a good job
Thanks, yes it's not so I can lazy out more, but the taxes in Wa are milder than Or....

Old 01-06-2018, 01:15 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,585 times
what area of WA are you in? I would certainly try and stay in WA to stay away from the high tax of oregon (let alone politics). Are you on the border between portland/vancouver metros? Otherwise if you're in the seattle/tacoma area i would keep searching there.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:39 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Don't wait, it's like the stock market, by the time you see it as a good time to get back in, the good stuff is already gone

Apply now so you can get a job with first pick of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search