Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 03:39 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

As previously explained in the thread below, I'm having trouble maintaining a good driving record due to medical/physical issues; these are being further investigated, but the process takes time. I still hold a driver's license and am in no immediate danger of losing it, but as of this writing, I haven't touched a steering wheel in exactly two months; for essential activities, this hasn't been too much of a problem, despite the fact that I live in a rural area.

"Semi-Housebound" - I need Work to Fill the Time

But I need to find some home-based opportunity to fill the hours, and probably more important, to find a sense of purpose again. Most of my working life was spent at 24-hour occupations, and some of the moat satisfying opportunities involved handling problems "in the field" -- usually at times when the issues were spontaneous in origin, and the complement of available resources was fairly thin. And I think I can safely say I was pretty good at this -- particularly appreciated the opportunities for "feedback" -- learning what worked (and what didn't), and developing a strategy for the next exposure.

So I'm wondering if anyone more familiar with the home-based-work culture can suggest a more-specialized approach.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-10-2018 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 04:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I think JimRom gave you great advice in your original thread.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I think JimRom gave you great advice in your original thread.
Fully agree, but as with the medical issue mentioned previously, the process takes a lot of time; I've been pursuing a technical-writing position at one site for six weeks, and still haven't been "vetted".

(FWIW, my undergrad curriculum included a mandatory tech-writing course; our instructor had a policy of only one 'A' per class -- and I got it). The "Content Gathering" part of the process also seems more promising; I was told on a number of occasions "back then" that I was pretty good when turned loose in a library; and those resources have become a lot easier to access since that time.

So thanks for the help so far, and "keep those cards and letters comin' in"; I'd be particularly interested if anyone can supply strategies offering a more direct approach -- not so dependent upon the Internet alone.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-10-2018 at 05:37 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 AM

And the efforts have begun to pay off; after a few more steps of "vetting". and the assurance that I can get some help with the fine points, I'm supposed to start tech-writing next week; thanks to those who contributed on both threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search