U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,683 times

Advertisements

I fudged employment dates and stretched it by 6 months.
If I put the correct dates on the checker website, would I still be "red flagged"?
Or am I going to get a chance to explain..?

This is what it says on the company website:

Employment Verification
By directly contacting the current/former employer or its authorized agent, ZeroChaos will confirm a candidate’s work history, such as company names and locations, dates of employment, positions or titles held, and eligibility for rehire. We will report any variances indicating the candidate has falsified employment information on their resume or job application.

Am I ****ed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:40 PM

9,249 posts, read 11,799,248 times
Companies are getting wise to the "Two Books" approach of job applicants. I always have the background checking company do a comparison of resume to background completion form and verification returned info. Discrepancies will not automatically disqualify you as mistakes (on all sides) do happen. Being able to explain a mistake goes a long way. A lie is never tolerated and will send you out the door with out any second chance.

Red flags also are raised even if you gave us the correct information when that info doesn't match previous info the background checking company already has on file. So, if you applied for a job elsewhere with a flubbed resume or application, that info may be floating around in the various databases these companies use, waiting to be pulled. So even an honest resume with matching verification can get flagged when prior information on you doesn't match. This is why in today's world of technology and information exchange, you need to be careful because a flubbed resume form 6 years ago may pop it's evil head up to bite you in the rear.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:23 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
I can't speak for everyone, but we make sure your employment dates are close enough to be reasonably accurate with each other.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:21 AM

1,881 posts, read 801,112 times
They don't normally compare to your resume, but if worries me they mention checking against your resume. HR could if they felt like it. NOrmally they don't take the time though and only see if any red flags are shown on the cover page of the background check. They could possibly compare to your application, but I think they only check what you put on the background check form. I've even had red flags show up like me not checking out as being employed at a company I said I was, and no one even questioned me on it!

Old 03-02-2018, 11:00 AM

2,276 posts, read 847,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom gloom View Post
If I put the correct dates on the checker website, would I still be "red flagged"?

Employment Verification
By directly contacting the current/former employer or its authorized agent, ZeroChaos will confirm a candidate’s work history, such as company names and locations, dates of employment, positions or titles held, and eligibility for rehire. We will report any variances indicating the candidate has falsified employment information on their resume or job application.

Am I ****ed?
Did you give them the company phone number yet? If not, get a burner phone with the proper area code and use that number instead. Have a friend or family member answer the phone and confirm the 'correct' information that matches up with your resume.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Did you give them the company phone number yet? If not, get a burner phone with the proper area code and use that number instead. Have a friend or family member answer the phone and confirm the 'correct' information that matches up with your resume.
That doesn't usually work. They verify the number independently from what I hear.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:59 PM

2,276 posts, read 847,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
That doesn't usually work. They verify the number independently from what I hear.
That is possible, but the times I have been subject to background checks they called the numbers I gave them. I like to give them the cell number of someone that I actually worked with so they get more useful information than the typical HR department will provide.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:49 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,111,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom gloom View Post

Employment Verification

Am I ****ed?
A resume is only a marketing tool used to get an interview. So, it's not a legal doc and won't be used against you. That said, you should be fine as long as you put the correct dates on the background check form. And if you end up having to explain the dates, so be it. Just say you mixed up the timelines or something. It happens.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
That is possible, but the times I have been subject to background checks they called the numbers I gave them. I like to give them the cell number of someone that I actually worked with so they get more useful information than the typical HR department will provide.
You're confusing background checks with reference checks. A background check is where they just asked where you worked, job title, and dates to verify. They aren't asking for a personal reference or "useful information" and they don't ask for a name of someone to talk to because they simply call and ask for HR. Some random person you work with isn't going to know the exact dates you worked somewhere and there is no way for them to know who that person actually is. What if they called the person you gave them and they were off by a few months on your employment dates. That would be grounds for revoking a job offer. See how that makes no sense.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,986 times
Hello! I used to work in the company from january to december 2017 but on my resume and background check i accidentally put that i worked from january 2017 to january 2018. Can it cause me any problems? It's just a matter of couple weeks. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or