Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 AM

427 posts, read 368,114 times

Advertisements

I've received an offer from another company, for $6/hr more than my current position. Im not 100% sold on the other company, but it would be nice to leverage a raise from my current company. Is there a good way to go about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 09:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
The only way to do this is just request a raise without letting them know you have a better offer on the table. Make sure you have reasons ready why you deserve the extra pay.

If you tell them about the other offer they may keep you around and give you more money but I'd feel like the relationship has been tarnished now that they know you could be ready to bolt at any minute for a better offer.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We actually have a written policy that provides for the CEO to grant a pay increase outside of the normal promotional and performance based raise rules when there is a written offer from another employer. Very few people are indispensable, however, and it's not likely to ever be used. Most managers would never even ask, since it makes them look lazy or incompetent by spending more money rather than hire and train a replacement. Your company may be more cooperative, but what will you do if their response is "fine, then take it."

Old 03-19-2018, 12:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We actually have a written policy that provides for the CEO to grant a pay increase outside of the normal promotional and performance based raise rules when there is a written offer from another employer. Very few people are indispensable, however, and it's not likely to ever be used. Most managers would never even ask, since it makes them look lazy or incompetent by spending more money rather than hire and train a replacement. Your company may be more cooperative, but what will you do if their response is "fine, then take it."
This. At $6/hr, that's approx. a $13k raise. Unless you are a star/critical employee, I doubt they will match it.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:28 PM

58 posts, read 61,369 times
Hmmm....I work in HR. In my experience, I have to agree with charlygal here. If you aren't seen as invaluable at your current organization, there's not much hope of getting that kind of increase out of them. If you are in a specialty role (such as certain IT jobs, for example) that might be difficult to backfill, then it's a different story. If your job is very commonplace with a large candidate pool in your area, I'd say there's just no way.

Unless you absolutely LOVE the company you're with, I say just take the new job with the higher pay. My philosophy - in order to move up (both in terms of pay and career level) you mostly gotta move out. That is, unless you're lucky enough to be in a company with a plethora of promotional opportunities at your fingertips.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2018, 06:38 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
... what will you do if their response is "fine, then take it."
Personally, I wouldn't play this hand. I would keep that offer to myself, get my ego boost, "atta boy", my motivation, or whatever it provides, but wouldn't use it as leverage unless I was prepared to jump anyway. Under the wrong circumstances, someone might just call your bluff. If I feel I deserve a raise I'd justify that based on solid performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search