Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 4,301 times

Advertisements

So I'm freaking out a little bit. I was offered my dream job as Legal Asst at an oil and gas company. I was offered the position contingent upon passing a background check. The offer letter says "you agree to ____ obtaining satisfactory information regarding your work history and qualifications, including professional reference checks, credit and criminal checks when applicable." Does this mean they are doing a credit check? I asked them on the phone what exactly they are checking and they didn't mention a credit check. They basically said we're checking to make sure you've never assaulted anyone haha and then I was told professional references, job history, driving record and criminal. I'm worried 1. because i have really bad credit and 2. I froze my credit a while ago because someone stole my credit card. The background check process started on Wed (its now Sunday) and no one has contacted me about not being able to access my credit. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 04:54 PM

22,961 posts, read 18,266,938 times
As suggested in your other thread, you need to calm down about this. If they do a credit check they are not doing it to expose some financial embarrassment, but they MIGHT do it in order to pick up on a pattern of personal behavior. If you have repeated bankruptcy, judgments not satisfied, foreclosures, etc. Freezing your credit is a sign you are keeping tabs on it. Not a bad thing. Within the past year more and more financial advisers have been suggesting freezing our credit. I very much doubt they will ask you to unfreeze it or hold it against you for it. If a question important enough comes up, just be honest. Doubt any will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search