Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:23 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

OP here. My concern isn't leaving it off the resume, which is targeted for each job.

The dilemma more is I hate having to put on the application that I have a Master's Degree when applying for admin assistant positions where not even a bachelor's is required, and for which I'm clearly over qualified. It's one thing to put down a Bachelor's Degree for a position that says GED or Associates required, Bachelors preferred. That's fine. But you put down a Master's Degree -- and to me it's like just waving a flag and tooting your horn and saying, "look , I'm overqualified!"

IF the company application specifically asks for HIGHEST level of education I have to put the M.A. or I'm lying.

IF however, If the application just says "education" and gives options for listing whatever level it is. Then I feel perfectly safe in leaving off the Master's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 08:22 PM

604 posts, read 856,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Yes that's my point.
Lying on the application is grounds for termination.

Now one could ask....what's the chance they'll ever find out?
Lying is absolutely grounds for termination and sometimes it doesn't happen until years later. Why would you want to spend all that time working with that hanging over your head, knowing you could be found out at any minute? Most professions are small worlds and somebody, somewhere knows about your advanced degree. One day they run across someone in your management chain and you're toast. And that's assuming they don't find out about your omitted degree during your background check.

For myself, I busted my hump for my Ph.D. and I'm not going to hide it. I wouldn't bother applying to jobs that don't call for it because I'd probably get bored. Why short-change yourself?

Old 03-27-2018, 03:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's not actually true, at least in some states. Regardless, it can affect your legal rights later on and omissions can be grounds for dismissal if the instructions were to list ALL of something, including education.
Maybe that wouldn't show up in a background check, but at some point a co-worker that doesn't like you may overhear something and report it, resulting in an investigation. There is also the chance that the hiring manager or a co-worker competing for a promotion will find something on social media. Is the degree listed on Linked-in, for example? HR and the hiring manager will, in fact scrutinize the applications and the resume if they are considering a person for an interview, and again with even more attention to detail if the person is being considered for an offer.

The Legal Risks of Lying on Your Resume - Shake by LegalShield

Legal Issues for HR & Fraudulent Resumes | Chron.com
People have full control over their resumes as they have not been requested to list everything in most cases. A resume is different from completing an online form or application.

I've worked for over 20 yrs yet I only list the last ten on my resume. Never been a problem. If we get to the background check stage and I'm asked more specific questions, I'll provide that information then. However, I decide what is best to put on the initial resume for a job posting.

Omission is not lying if certain information is not specifically requested. Most job postings say to send a resume. It does not ask to send a resume with every job and every school ever attended listed.

In the OPs case, it is completely true that she has a Bachelor's degree.

Last edited by charlygal; 03-27-2018 at 04:49 AM..

Old 03-27-2018, 07:21 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
Lying is absolutely grounds for termination and sometimes it doesn't happen until years later. Why would you want to spend all that time working with that hanging over your head, knowing you could be found out at any minute? Most professions are small worlds and somebody, somewhere knows about your advanced degree. One day they run across someone in your management chain and you're toast. And that's assuming they don't find out about your omitted degree during your background check.

For myself, I busted my hump for my Ph.D. and I'm not going to hide it. I wouldn't bother applying to jobs that don't call for it because I'd probably get bored. Why short-change yourself?
"Somewhere knows about your advanced degree. One day they run across someone in your management chain and you're toast"

I love these "what ifs" people on this site come up with. Again, describe a situation or how it is even possible this would happen? Why would someone randomly tell your manager that x employee has a masters degree, and how would they know or care what they omitted on a background check? And lets say somehow someone did tell your manager this. They either wouldn't think anything of it or you just lie and say they are mistaken. The only realistic way you could get caught is if your hiring manager or HR found out through LinkedIN or Facebook. And thats even if they cared or remembered. The solution to that is to leave it off those sites or make it private.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:24 AM

There is nothing to get caught over. Unless the job specifically indicates that they WILL NOT accept higher than a Bachelor's degree, then the OP is okay.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:16 AM

The sticky wicket is that I guess I'm stuck putting the Master's on the application IF it specifically asks for highest degree earned/attained.

How can I avoid being seen as overqualified if I have to list it?
The whole point of not putting it on the resume is so I'm NOT ruled OUT for having a Master's Degree.

But then I get jammed by the application.

I suppose the consensus is to keep doing what I'm doing -- leaving it OFF the resume -- but put it on the application, when specifically asked.

That's WHY I asked which do you think hiring people pay more attention to the application or the resume.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
The sticky wicket is that I guess I'm stuck putting the Master's on the application IF it specifically asks for highest degree earned/attained.

How can I avoid being seen as overqualified if I have to list it?
The whole point of not putting it on the resume is so I'm NOT ruled OUT for having a Master's Degree.

But then I get jammed by the application.

I suppose the consensus is to keep doing what I'm doing -- leaving it OFF the resume -- but put it on the application, when specifically asked.

That's WHY I asked which do you think hiring people pay more attention to the application or the resume.
Why do you think a Master's degree will exclude you from being an Admin. Asst.? Based on your background, do you think you should be looking for a different level of positions?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Why do you think a Master's degree will exclude you from being an Admin. Asst.? Based on your background, do you think you should be looking for a different level of positions?

Well if the posting says high school diploma required, associate's degree preferred -- OR -- A.A. degree required/bachelor's preferred.......having a Master's Degree (and experience that fits) -- would be considered overqualified. Would it not?

I had one interview through a friend of a friend before I completely dumbed down the resume. The owner of the company, who knew I was recommended by a current employee, said she was blown away by my credentials. She told me -- "you're just too overqualified, I know you won't be happy, I know you won't stay." I even said, you're so impressed yet you won't hire me. She said she knew I'd be bored and not stay long term. She said I could stay in touch in case she saw something she thought I'd be a good fit for. She at least gave me an interview, because a longtime employee recommended me. We really did hit it off. But she said you're TOO qualified for this job. I can only wonder how many people see Master's degree for an admin asst. position and pass me over?

I think the "you're over qualified" is an unfortunate point of view. Companies are missing out on people who ARE experienced, conscientious, and mature. Not everyone wants the same responsibility they've had for the lat 30 years. But now I can here someone asking is it the degrees or the presumed age that's the hindrance.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Well if the posting says high school diploma required, associate's degree preferred -- OR -- A.A. degree required/bachelor's preferred.......having a Master's Degree (and experience that fits) -- would be considered overqualified. Would it not?

I had one interview through a friend of a friend before I completely dumbed down the resume. The owner of the company, who knew I was recommended by a current employee, said she was blown away by my credentials. She told me -- "you're just too overqualified, I know you won't be happy, I know you won't stay." I even said, you're so impressed yet you won't hire me. She said she knew I'd be bored and not stay long term. She said I could stay in touch in case she saw something she thought I'd be a good fit for. She at least gave me an interview, because a longtime employee recommended me. We really did hit it off. But she said you're TOO qualified for this job. I can only wonder how many people see Master's degree for an admin asst. position and pass me over?

I think the "you're over qualified" is an unfortunate point of view. Companies are missing out on people who ARE experienced, conscientious, and mature. Not everyone wants the same responsibility they've had for the lat 30 years. But now I can here someone asking is it the degrees or the presumed age that's the hindrance.
My point is why are you applying for jobs that asks for a high school diploma or Associates? If a potential employer harps on your degree, they are telling you that you are better than the job they have. Look for something better. Unless you are an Admin to a top executive, does a standard Admin position have the long term earnings potential that you want?

Old 03-28-2018, 10:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I wouldn't rule anyone out for having a Master applying for an admin job. I don't consider them overqualified, because that is not based on a degree. If their work experience is at or below the level of the position they still could be a good employee, and with the advanced degree have potential for promotion in the future. For me the overqualified person is one that has work experience at a higher level. For example, someone who has been an attorney for 5 years now applying for an admin or paralegal position, or someone who has been a store manager at Costco for 5 years applying for a job as cashier at 7-11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search