Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 01:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,804,646 times

Advertisements

It sucks to work with anybody psycho or narcissistic.
Sometimes it is best just to find a job where you supervise yourself and do not have much interaction with the actual boss or other coworkers...even if pay is lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moblue View Post
I was forced to resign a position after 13 yrs of employment. I had 5 minutes to decide if I wanted to be terminated or leave on my own. The supervisor trumped up his own reason for dismissing me. He did not like me the two years I worked for him. He tried to make it very diffiult for me to work. He caused excessive work and in turn forced me to work additional hours as I was salaried.
He had a tendency to hire young females with nice bodies and long legs. In the two years he was there he hired approximately 9 people under the age of 35. After my demise he hired a 34 yr old as my replacement. I am 51.
I am filing suit for age discrimination. I knew my job and knew it well. There was none better.
I am very bitter. I have lost $12000 a year in full time income plus $10000 income I have lost as a result of losing my part time job.
The attorney feels we have a strong case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 11:18 PM

4 posts, read 11,638 times
Thumbs up Malicious References - Rate Your Former Employers, Boss, and Collegues Online

I believe that the best way to get a message across to employers, managers, and colleagues that are abusive and believe that it is okay to give out bad references on employees (preventing them from getting jobs) is to Give Out Malicious References on the Employer, Supervisor, and Colleague.

The Internet is the greatest tool because you can use social networking sites and other forums (like this one) in order to give factual information about what you are going through or have gone through on the job with bullies.

Rating your former employer (say on Facebook or Myspace) is a great way to cause other potential applicants to give pause and re-consider working for that group. Believe me, I have read some scathing reports on the Internet forums about organizations and their inside schenigans from many a disgruntled employee (and I take them seriously in my decision about whether I would apply or accept working there). And, what I found is that one person's Internet tirade about his former employer was verified by a classmate of mine who worked in that same organization (Guess Who?- IBM).

So, yeah - post your tirade anonymously on the web and I bet your former boss, colleagues, and employer will think about malicious references being a two-way street. Then, they will understand that what goes around comes around, too.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:57 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,485,769 times
I had something similar happen to me. I was fired because a young girl was put in charge of us. One day, she sat and threw her head back and yelled out, "I LOVE the POWER!!"
She fired another person, one with a lot of time there left, and then I was fired. No reason. It is an at will state. She covered for the supervisor who was never around. Oh, the supervisor was there when I was hired. But when she finally showed up to work, she came up to me and said, "Oh, who are you?" I laughed and said, "Remember, you hired me?" like it was a joke. She wasn't joking. She was one of those angry, hard, cold people who has the world on her side.
Anyway, once you've been fired, it doesn't matter any more. You say to yourself, heck, life goes on. They may have thought they "won", but they are miserable people. Because people who are content and happy don't have to spread their misery.
Good luck, very little you can sue for these days. Racial discrimation, sexual harrassment, breaking of a defined contract, that is about it. And you have to prove it.
Lawyers want to be paid, so if you sue to get a job back, they don't get paid. If you sue for damages because you were dismissed unfairly, in an at will state, and I quote an attorney, "They can fire you for the color of the sweater you wore to work, and any attorney will back me up on this."

Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 PM

21 posts, read 70,726 times
Default bad references - update

After a long time waiting I finally got "something" in the mail and it was very very pooooooor letter of recomendation that I knew I could never use. I have been very disapointed with my former employer attitude. I was really believing that I will to find someone with a brain in the head. I made copies for a prove to take with me from a book that exactly describes what happened to me and how those rude leaches act and behave and what the outcome of this rude and nasty behaviour is. I went to my former employer higher position person to show him what was happening and why I was treated so badly by the bullies in this company. I was hoping that finally I will get through someones head! He wasn't saying much only advise me to go to the lawyer and that he will contact their lawyer. I told him I really do not want to get lawyers involved that I just want them to appologize to me for the very nasty behaviour they have put me through and give me a very nice letter of recomendation and the letter restricting information given out. He wasn't helpfull at all so I told him to think about it and let me know. Today, when I got home I had a message on the phone to call police department. They have accused me of making harrassing phone calls! Can you believe that! When I came home last night I was thinking that he probably was recording me on the phone and I should have checked it but I wasn't thinking about it when I talked to him (damn)- and now harrassing phone calls!
I called police back and filed report myself for the harrassement they have done to me!
I am just about fed up with this nasty people! It is only proving to me again and again that I worked with the worst people ever!
Apparently, they want to show me how nasty they can be again and again!
Well, I will never use them for references but I just do not understand what would it do to them if they write decent letter of recomendation and do not provide any info to the prospective new employer? I will never work for them so why bother? Are they really so jelaous and scared that I will maybe get a better job then I had there?
Can anyone advice what to do now with the phone harrasement complain (I have to wait for the officer to call me back - then I know more) and what actions I can take to protect myself against these blood sucking evils.
Also, what do you say to the prospective employers when you do not want them to check these references and if you do not want to release name of the former employer?
Also, what do you say when people in my currect job come to ask you questions about your personal life that has been released to them by the management of my current company and they got from my former bad employer.
What a nightmare I have been living since I have been hired to the wrong company!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Do you think filing a lawsuit is going to help you with future employers?

Yes...if someone is blackballing the OPs efforts to get a job...they are screwing with their ability to earn a living.

If they cannot get a job because someone is undercutting them, then it has to be stopped.

So many times, it is only HR verifying dates, but I found this out from a recruiter...that they do call into a department and talk to the supervisor or coworkers and find things out.

Now, we all know this isn't a perfect world, and assuming someone is going to tell the truth is a stretch.

I am having some of my references professionally investigated. I was tipped off by a headhunter. If someone is doing me in, I want to know about it.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVES View Post
After a long time waiting I finally got "something" in the mail and it was very very pooooooor letter of recomendation that I knew I could never use. I have been very disapointed with my former employer attitude. I was really believing that I will to find someone with a brain in the head. I made copies for a prove to take with me from a book that exactly describes what happened to me and how those rude leaches act and behave and what the outcome of this rude and nasty behaviour is. I went to my former employer higher position person to show him what was happening and why I was treated so badly by the bullies in this company. I was hoping that finally I will get through someones head! He wasn't saying much only advise me to go to the lawyer and that he will contact their lawyer. I told him I really do not want to get lawyers involved that I just want them to appologize to me for the very nasty behaviour they have put me through and give me a very nice letter of recomendation and the letter restricting information given out. He wasn't helpfull at all so I told him to think about it and let me know. Today, when I got home I had a message on the phone to call police department. They have accused me of making harrassing phone calls! Can you believe that! When I came home last night I was thinking that he probably was recording me on the phone and I should have checked it but I wasn't thinking about it when I talked to him (damn)- and now harrassing phone calls!
I called police back and filed report myself for the harrassement they have done to me!
I am just about fed up with this nasty people! It is only proving to me again and again that I worked with the worst people ever!
Apparently, they want to show me how nasty they can be again and again!
Well, I will never use them for references but I just do not understand what would it do to them if they write decent letter of recomendation and do not provide any info to the prospective new employer? I will never work for them so why bother? Are they really so jelaous and scared that I will maybe get a better job then I had there?
Can anyone advice what to do now with the phone harrasement complain (I have to wait for the officer to call me back - then I know more) and what actions I can take to protect myself against these blood sucking evils.
Also, what do you say to the prospective employers when you do not want them to check these references and if you do not want to release name of the former employer?
Also, what do you say when people in my currect job come to ask you questions about your personal life that has been released to them by the management of my current company and they got from my former bad employer.
What a nightmare I have been living since I have been hired to the wrong company!

Keep your cool. Do not call that employer anymore. Find an attorney who will take your case. Tell him/her that your former employer said you were harrassing them (after you called about a bad reference letter) and that they were getting an attorney.

Do not let anyone have the original copy of this letter. Let them make copies.

Stay in control. When you lose control, you lose control.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I beg to differ. I had thought the same thing--until it happened to me almost 20 years ago.

There are NO laws that prohibit a former employer from giving out a negative reference as long as it is true and made without malice. Some states have passed laws granting immunity to employers. The reason some companies merely hand out dates of employment is because their legal departments advise them to do so.

There are also a few other questions your former employer may be asked, and they are not obligated to say YES: 'would you rehire' and 'would you recommend this person for this new position'.

There have been some legal cases that successfully sued a plaintiff's former employer for not carrying out references the same way to all former employees...it has to be uniform.

The following links may be helpful:

Job References: Problems for Good References, Problems for Bad References : New Jersey Law Blog

I'm in a job hunt after being fired. I found out that my previous boss is giving me nasty references. Does my ex-boss have a free hand to just say anything? What can I do?

BAD JOB REFERENCES - Slander, and Defamation

How Can I Combat Bad Reference

2nd post:

retaliation/unfounded bad reference by former manager Florida - Labor Law Talk

Well, hypothetically, let's say an employer says Jane Doe stole supplies or money while working there. Without clear evidence, just an accusation, then it can be construed as malice. You see, anyone can accuse anyone of anything. But you have to prove it. And a boss saying it doesn't make it so.
Someone's whole life can be ruined over an accusation.
And yes, they CAN say what they want, but if you catch them...there can be hell to pay. HR departments don't know who has a rich uncle who would take their case free.

You see, it's not against the law, but what a court sees and rules on is different. There is a difference between against the law, and being able to sue.

A loose cannon can only be viewed as such, because if Jane Doe is such a bad employee, it reflects badly on them for hiring her in the first place. And you'd think they'd be happy to get rid of her.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:39 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,663,108 times
Nebulous, go back and read the posts the OP has made on here and tell us you would like to have him/her in your employ.

Good grief.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:46 PM

799 posts, read 2,162,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Nebulous, go back and read the posts the OP has made on here and tell us you would like to have him/her in your employ.

Good grief.
I think she has been bullied around and has no one in her corner and can't take it anymore.

I will ask a question back...Would you like to have been in her shoes?

Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM

266 posts, read 1,106,154 times
You know, I am of the mindset that people deserve a second chance. Okay, maybe they weren't the best employee at the last job, who knows? But they should be able to learn from past mistakes and move on to future employment and hopefully be better this time around.

I think a company should stick to dates of employment and title and not give out disparaging information to employers calling for a reference. You, as the person being spoken badly about, do not have a chance to defend yourself otherwise. There are two sides to every story, unfortunately once a prospective employer gets wind of something bad they will not bother asking you about it, but the job will disappear. And for what? Based on someone's opinion that you're not a hard worker or some other bullcrap they made up because they were mad? What makes their opinion correct?

My last boss was not at work the first 6 months I worked there. After that, she came to work 2 days a week or less and had no idea what I did day in and day out. Often, I would go weeks without interacting with her. How could she possibly speak to someone and tell them her "opinion" of my work? I left on bad terms, so anything she said would just be sour grapes and not the truth.

I have to list the job on my resume, because otherwise I would have a year gap to explain. But I don't put her name down, no way. I list the controller who handled payroll and functioned as the HR person (small company, no HR dept.). I know that he would never give anything other than dates.

Some other companies I've worked at in the past (with good references) have gone out of business, been sold, and one place the entire management and HR staff are gone. So at the moment, none of my last jobs can really be verified. What I do have is relationships with former coworkers and even clients that I have kept in touch with. I use those people for references.

Another strategy whenever I leave a job, I ask customers, supervisors, and coworkers to write me letters of reference (on company letterhead). I keep them in a book, I have about 25 letters that I can pull out if needed to prove my work. Sometimes, providing those letters are enough that the company doesn't even need to call for a reference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search