Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 2,839 times

Advertisements

Recently I met a prominent member of upper management at a very large, premiere organization. We talked briefly for approximately 60 seconds and the manager had mentioned that they did not have any current openings but that they would take my resume in the event that something were to open up.

Something has opened up. It is exactly what I want in a position in an industry I would love to get into. And the fact that it is with one of the largest organizations in the industry is even better.

The manager hasn’t contacted me about the position. However, if one was in this position I assume that you would be extremely busy I am sure that it is not at the top of your head to contact someone you met very briefly months ago.

I have already submitted an application and followed up with the HR contact.

Should I contact the hiring manager I met in passing? If so, when? How do I word it?

I have asked some of my peers and a have gotten an even 50-50 response of "yes - contact them!" and "no - they said they'd contact you!".

I am not sure what to do. I want this. I feel like I would be an excellent fit and meet all of the desired criteria in a candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 01:50 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Hmm, you are probably going to get a range of answers here, but here's one:

I probably wouldn't contact someone I had only spoken with for 60 seconds. You have no way of knowing whether they were merely being polite with their suggestion about sending in a resume, passing time in a civil way. They might fall back on this sort of comment all the time but not mean much by it. Not saying they were being dismissive, just neutral. Frankly, if they did feel you were something they really hoped for, they probably would have done something to make it happen...given you a contact, introduced you to someone who hires for them, created an opportunity, and followed up later.

Consider that if it's the perfect job for you, you are perfectly positioned for it, and you are a great candidate, you don't need their involvement. You are your own best advocate. Contacting them might make it awkward....if they don't remember you they might feel uncomfortable by a vague sense of obligation. That you were being too presumptuous. Hard to say....some managers want this quality in their employees.

Other people would feel just the opposite....grab hold with both hands and milk that little 60 seconds into what you want.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:51 PM

14 posts, read 84,939 times
I would contact the hiring manager.

If it's a large company it could be easy for your resume to fall through the cracks, and I wouldn't rely on some HR drone to recognize your qualifications. There is probably a lot of competition, so you should take every edge you can get to help you stand out - and a word from the hiring manager could be big.

I would also think that showing some initiative and letting them know how much you want the position would be considered a good thing in most cases.

When? I would say about a week after you contacted HR if you haven't heard anything further.

How to word it? Just off the top of my head:
'I saw you had an open position and applied online, but since we had connected briefly a few months ago I wanted to follow up with you directly to reintroduce myself and share a little more about my background.'

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to reach out to hiring manager to discuss your background and his needs for the position.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
As I hiring manager at 3 places it has always been my experience that any calls from potential applicants are immediately referred to HR, with no discussion. That is not always the case, but it's a gamble, since in this situation the hiring manager could be annoyed by you bothering them. As for this case of the "prominent member of upper management" I would take what was said as a polite brush-off, I'm sure he has no idea who you were after that brief meeting.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:58 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
I would contact him very politely and casually. You don't haves lot to lose. If he doesn't respond or brushes you off, don't push it though. You don't want to cross the line into being annoying. Sending him one message doesn't cross that line IMO

Old 04-19-2018, 01:15 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
Absolutely, you should contact him or her. In your shoes, I would have done it already. Remind the manager when and where you met, and indicate that you have already applied for the role. Briefly explain WHY you want to work there and how you will be an asset to the company.

You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. However, only contact the manager once. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2018, 06:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randoms47 View Post
I would contact the hiring manager.

If it's a large company it could be easy for your resume to fall through the cracks, and I wouldn't rely on some HR drone to recognize your qualifications. There is probably a lot of competition, so you should take every edge you can get to help you stand out - and a word from the hiring manager could be big.

I would also think that showing some initiative and letting them know how much you want the position would be considered a good thing in most cases.

When? I would say about a week after you contacted HR if you haven't heard anything further.

How to word it? Just off the top of my head:
'I saw you had an open position and applied online, but since we had connected briefly a few months ago I wanted to follow up with you directly to reintroduce myself and share a little more about my background.'

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to reach out to hiring manager to discuss your background and his needs for the position.
I agree with this. If you get no response or get shunted to HR, so be it. Don't be annoying, but take a minute to (briefly, succinctly, politely) contact the person.

Looks like you'll probably get 50/50 on this thread, too!

Old 04-20-2018, 09:14 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,330 times
Considering that the application submission process is best described as a deep, dark black hole, I would use every edge to get into the mix.

I'm not sure I would wait a week to make contact but I agree with what randoms47 said.

Having a conversation with a hiring manager will usually produce better results, especially if you had any previous contact. Just my opinion.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:21 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
If I have this correct:
-- you ran into/met a prominent member of upper management at a very large, premiere organization -- who said "they would take my resume in the event that something were to open up.."

SO, did that person indeed "take your resume" -- did you send in to THAT PERSON later or you SUBMITTED the resume to the company?

-- Now you see a position has opened up, or been posted.

So you're asking -- do you contact that upper level manager? did you get his/her contact info? Would this be a cold correspondence just based on you brief conversation?

If that's your question? Then yes, reach out....either you won't hear back from HIM/HER directly, that person could forward your email to the hiring manager....and might say be sure to look at this guy/gal.

Can't hurt.

To me it really all depends on how and when you met the executive...was a real (memorable) contact was made -- or was it a casual "I'd really like to work at you company....yeah kid, send in your resume, see yah next time, elevator door closes kind of thing."

Even if the exec didn't mean it, I'd still get to the person and send in something like what random347 suggests in post #3.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:34 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,713 times
I would not focus on this position alone. I know it seems perfect but more than likely you will not get it. I've been there and done that. My current position was not at the top of my list (in that I didn't think I would get in) but I did. Typically when you see the perfect position that is not the one you get. Keep your eye out for multiple opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search