Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 08:04 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,045,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
A 4-6 page resume!!! Not a chance that I would interview that person. 2 pages at the most and I really prefer to see it on just one.
In today's world with the number of job changes, I don't know anyone other than a new grad who could fit the info necessary on one page. I've seen people where just the certs alone fill half a page.

A single page wouldn't even make the competitive list for a second look, much less interview, where I work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 12:08 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
That's super old school.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:54 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I use a "defining statement" that shows off what I have to offer, rather than what I am looking for. I've always found the "objective" to be imply a bit of groveling.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:32 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
In today's world with the number of job changes, I don't know anyone other than a new grad who could fit the info necessary on one page. I've seen people where just the certs alone fill half a page.

A single page wouldn't even make the competitive list for a second look, much less interview, where I work.
I believe that industry is a major factor here. In the line of work I do, being able to write in a concise manner is a big part of the job. When your job is to prepare written info for executive management, brevity is very important. I have seen resumes from people with amazing credentials and 20+ years of experience that can fit it all onto one page.

Way too many job candidates treat the resume like an all inclusive biography. A half page of certs would be a great example of that. I just want to see enough to see if I am interested in learning more. Anything more than two pages I just ignore.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:11 AM

47 posts, read 37,865 times
The approach most resume experts suggest today is a resume headline.

Here is a website that shows how to write a resume headline:

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ho...adline-2061036

Here are some example headlines:

* Goal-Oriented Senior Accountant with Five Years of Accounting Experience

· Successful Manager of Dozens of Online Marketing Campaigns

· Cook with Extensive Fine Dining Experience

· Award-Winning Editor Skilled in Web Design

· Detail-Oriented History Student with Curatorial Experience

· Army Veteran Awarded for Determination and Strong Work Ethic

· Bilingual Nursing Graduate with Experience in Rural Health Care

· Honor-Roll Student with Tutoring Experience in Numerous Subjects

Old 05-05-2018, 03:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Goal or objective; to make money. Everything else is just BSing, lol. It is an outdated thing, do not even recall when it was ever really "in".

Old 05-10-2018, 06:49 AM

669 posts, read 581,979 times
I left a mission statement off of my resume. Seems obvious and redundant when accompanied by a cover letter.

I apply for jobs via their website. Not the black hole of job boards. I search to find who to direct my info to by name and position esp if the starting point is HR.

I include a conversational style message in my introductory email along with my cover letter and resume attached.

In a recent email I explained why I did not divulge my past income for each of my former employers and I explained why I didn’t. ( commission income is not on the same playing field as a salaried income.). The company online application that was also required to fill out in completion asked for the info. Uh, nope. So I wanted to clarify why this info was left off of it.

Only supplied my college info..I did not supply my high school info. I am an adult.

Am I a rebel? I don’t think so. Additional info offered in my email introduction (not included on my resume) were addressed in the interview. The salary history never came up btw.

My goal is to get their attention to continue reading my info and not just be another boiler plate resume and cover letter. I have been revising my resume to mirror the requirements of the job posting if they apply to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search