Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 05:57 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
???

No, asking your established network whom YOU have helped before for a good word, a contact name or to vouch for your work is called "using your network to help gain employment." It is networking and written about extensively in business publications.

Puts people on the spot? Isn't that one of the reasons why people network with each so that they can help each other out when it is needed? If you're "putting people on the spot", then you're not networking correctly and probably haven't provided any value to the other party. Networking is a give and take process, not a one-way street.
oh ok well you made it seem like you was just contacting old coworkers and asking if their company was hiring. So since that is not the case I am surprised they are not reaching back out to you after you helped out in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 10:03 AM

345 posts, read 252,159 times
I can totally relate to the OP. I worked for the same company for 19 years. In 2014 I was notified that I was being laid off and that I had 2 weeks to find a job within the company. I had a good reputation and always had good performance reviews. I moved up 3 times while I was there. I had given a lot of advice to quite a few people at the company over the years. I supported them and encouraged them when they were ready to take the next step in the company. I contacted a few of these people who had open positions and explained that I was being laid off in 2 weeks. Not one of these people helped me. One person told me, "I'm sorry I already have interviews scheduled". There were sales people who covered the state I lived in and I asked them to keep their eyes open for jobs. I never heard a word from them. I was brought up to believe that if you help others you will get the same in return. I used to believe that, but as the years go by the only person you can really count on is you.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:31 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
I can totally relate to the OP. I worked for the same company for 19 years. In 2014 I was notified that I was being laid off and that I had 2 weeks to find a job within the company. I had a good reputation and always had good performance reviews. I moved up 3 times while I was there. I had given a lot of advice to quite a few people at the company over the years. I supported them and encouraged them when they were ready to take the next step in the company. I contacted a few of these people who had open positions and explained that I was being laid off in 2 weeks. Not one of these people helped me. One person told me, "I'm sorry I already have interviews scheduled". There were sales people who covered the state I lived in and I asked them to keep their eyes open for jobs. I never heard a word from them. I was brought up to believe that if you help others you will get the same in return. I used to believe that, but as the years go by the only person you can really count on is you.

Why didn't you just make it seem like you wanted to take on a new challenge instead of telling someone you were laid off? Most people don't respond well to that type of news and made try to avoid you. Plus you said you were being laid off in two weeks which probably made the person very uncomfortable.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Why didn't you just make it seem like you wanted to take on a new challenge instead of telling someone you were laid off? Most people don't respond well to that type of news and made try to avoid you. Plus you said you were being laid off in two weeks which probably made the person very uncomfortable.
These people already knew that I was being laid off, and when I called them they asked me when my last day was. News like that travels fast in an organization.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:33 PM

757 posts, read 1,093,864 times
Quote:
These people already knew that I was being laid off, and when I called them they asked me when my last day was. News like that travels fast in an organization.
People are laid off all the time usually due to no fault of their own. I think one can do more damage to their career search when they use cutsie statements like "I'm looking for a new challenge" as opposed to just being honest, especially in niche industries.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Ain't that the truth. Never again will I help others in their career search. You're on your own.

miles5, how did you get your next gig? Was it a better, same or worse opportunity then you were laid off from?

Old 05-20-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Ain't that the truth. Never again will I help others in their career search. You're on your own.

miles5, how did you get your next gig? Was it a better, same or worse opportunity then you were laid off from?
I got my next gig by applying online. It's half of what I was making and the company culture is horrible, but the benefits can't be beat. The thing about this job is once I leave at 4:30 I'm done. I have no company cell phone or laptop, which was strange at first, but I feel like I have so much freedom now. I can do so much more but most employers can tell I'm old, so I am making this work for a couple of years and I think I can retire.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I got my next gig by applying online. It's half of what I was making and the company culture is horrible, but the benefits can't be beat. The thing about this job is once I leave at 4:30 I'm done. I have no company cell phone or laptop, which was strange at first, but I feel like I have so much freedom now. I can do so much more but most employers can tell I'm old, so I am making this work for a couple of years and I think I can retire.
At least you can retire...I think I'll be working for the rest of my life and will need to request time off to die

I also think this is the new normal for older workers. Where one's income used to increase with accomplishments and senority, it seems to be going in the other direction.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
...and to your point, isn't this often the case? "Just be your own boss". Sounds simple enough. Open a consultancy business and the business will just magically come.
The phrase "be your own boss" is deceptive and false.

Employees have one boss.
Consultants/entrepreneurs have multiple bosses - each client/customer is the boss.

The only people who "are their own boss" are the independently wealthy.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:30 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,310 times
I get your frustration. Some people are only ‘friends at work’ and when you part ways, they forget about you. Some talk a good talk, but they were just being friendly. Some just don’t want to vouch or help anyone because they see you as competition. A few years ago, I had a so-called good friend who would never share any of her job hunting secrets. She kept getting interview after interview and I didn’t understand what she was doing. She would suddenly be in a new long-term assignment. I thought she had a secret, special resume, but it was about her networking skills.

Networking extends beyond a former co-workers.

If you went to college/university, have you kept in touch with former classmates and alumni? Do not underestimate the potential power of this peer group.

Are you a part of any clubs where meet people with similar interest unrelated to work, like skiing, running, golf, charities... whatever?

Are you a member of any professional organizations? Are you active in them, attend meetings, and get there early in order to network?

Did you ever take any trainings or coursework outside of your employer where you met other people in your field? Did you connect with them and remain in touch?

Have you tried attending professional networking meetings or free talks on relevant topics where you can meet other professionals?

Are you on LinkedIn? If so, you can look at job postings and LinkedIn will show you if someone in your network works at that company. You can then start a conversation to ask questions and for a referral to at least get an interview. That way you’re not putting the bulk of your job search work on them. I have better success when I already have a job of interest in hand.

Sometimes its networking with people who don’t know you well, but with which you have something in common that will yield you the results your looking for.

It’s frustrating, but try to cast a wider net if you haven’t already. Forget the flakes. Similar to sales, you have to keep contacting and meeting people until you reach success. I hope something works out for you soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search