Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:35 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The first interview was with HR and they asked about start dates. I didn't give them a specific date because there's no telling how long a hiring process will take. However, I did say I would need at least two weeks to put in a notice, plus another week or two for the moving process.

I've always been told that it's better to apply for jobs and worry about the details later. Sometimes you get a call right away, but sometimes it takes months to even get that first interview. I applied for this job on March 15 and got a call on March 20 for the first HR interview.
Stop getting tied up on the interview process. You are past that point. Counter the start date and move forward from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 12:38 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Well, if you did say you would need at least two weeks to put in a notice, plus another week or two for the moving process, and they sent you a letter with two weeks date, then just remind them what what you said.....you need three weeks.

What are you really concerned about?
-- That they'll rescind the offer if you can't start in two weeks?
-- That you'll pihss them off. That they'll concede and give you the 3 weeks -- but now think you're difficult and so you're starting off on the wrong foot, or with the wrong impression.

Start dates are negotiated all the time. At this time you've said nothing that warrants the "what should I do." The answer to that is obvious.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:35 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
So here's what I did:

1. Stated that I would like a start date of June 11 or sometime in the middle of June. I explained that I need time to put in a two weeks notice, need time to pack up, need time to find a place to live in Nashville, etc.

2. Asked for a slightly higher salary. Even an extra $3000 will offset the cost of owning and maintaining a vehicle.

We'll see what they say.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
OK....so now you're also still negotiating salary....yes, please do keep us posted.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:07 PM

406 posts, read 624,029 times
Quote:
So here's what I did:

1. Stated that I would like a start date of June 11 or sometime in the middle of June. I explained that I need time to put in a two weeks notice, need time to pack up, need time to find a place to live in Nashville, etc.

2. Asked for a slightly higher salary. Even an extra $3000 will offset the cost of owning and maintaining a vehicle.

We'll see what they say.
I think that was a good move.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:38 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Their response will tell you 50% of what you need to know.

50% of moving to a new area is how you are valued and treated at your employer.

If they come back with "Yes" and "OK" we'll give you $5k extra then it is showing they are in it for the long haul.

My employer came back with almost $10k more than I asked. In addition I got a good bonus in my first year rewarded for my hard work which I have mentioned previously is why I'll be staying at least 5 years. It is very easy to get loyal employees just choose right and treat them right.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
So here's what I did:

We'll see what they say.
So what did they say?

Old 05-18-2018, 08:54 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
So what did they say?
They said they could work with me on the start date, but aren't budging on salary. They said that they want to keep my salary in line with other people in the department, within the salary range, etc.

I think I'm going to pass.

If this position were in Knoxville, Chattanooga, or a city with a lower cost of living, it would be a no brainer to accept.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:45 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
They said they could work with me on the start date, but aren't budging on salary. They said that they want to keep my salary in line with other people in the department, within the salary range, etc.

If this position were in Knoxville, Chattanooga, or a city with a lower cost of living, it would be a no brainer to accept.
Makes sense under the circumstances. They may not be thinking about the idea that you can get away without a car now, so to them, the salary goes further than it really would for you with adding in a new, big ticket item expense every month.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:

I am happy that you brought it up. You made the best choice. It always good to ask things during the negotiation phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search