Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 11:22 AM

10 posts, read 8,252 times

Advertisements

i tried indeed.com in the past but don't think it amounted to anything. monster.com when i tried it years ago just seemed data mining my email info.

there's another one i just found called appropriatejobs.com but scamadvisor has it as a low trust rating.

can i get some recommendations as an adjunct with my craigslist jobs search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjyiz28 View Post
i tried indeed.com in the past but don't think it amounted to anything.
IMO, Indeed is about as good as it gets for finding opportunities, but the opportunities it brings are only as good as the keywords you give it to search with.

Instead of searching by job title, search Indeed with some skill you possess. If you are terrific at using the Acme 9000 widget forge, search for "widget forge" OR "Acme 9000." This will give you more opportunities than you would get by searching for job titles.

Also, set up email alerts with your Indeed searches. Specify the absolute outer limit for the number of miles you would be willing to commute or move for the new job.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If you are terrific at using the Acme 9000 widget forge, search for "widget forge" OR "Acme 9000." This will give you more opportunities than you would get by searching for job titles.
A few hours after I posted this, I realized I needed to make it clearer. There is a lot of power in the advanced search features of Indeed. More specifically, in these 4 fields of the advanced search...
With all of these words
With the exact phrase
With at least one of these words
With none of these words
The best way to get the site to bring you relevant job opportunities is to include the skills you want to use in your desired job in your search. If you find you're getting a lot of irrelevant jobs, you can exclude jobs that contain other words that are in the jobs you don't want to do.

For instance, if you want a job where you can run the Acme 9000 widget forge, but not a job that involves running the BrandX widget forge, add "BrandX" to the field next to "With none of these words."

Old 05-18-2018, 06:36 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Craigslist seems bottom of the barrel - to me - for job searching. I tried it for awhile, but was disappointed in the offerings and positions posted.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:53 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Craigslist seems bottom of the barrel - to me - for job searching. I tried it for awhile, but was disappointed in the offerings and positions posted.
That's what I used to think about indeed and then I saw a Indeed TV commercial and was like

Old 05-20-2018, 04:34 AM

669 posts, read 582,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
IMO, Indeed is about as good as it gets for finding opportunities, but the opportunities it brings are only as good as the keywords you give it to search with.

Instead of searching by job title, search Indeed with some skill you possess. If you are terrific at using the Acme 9000 widget forge, search for "widget forge" OR "Acme 9000." This will give you more opportunities than you would get by searching for job titles.

Also, set up email alerts with your Indeed searches. Specify the absolute outer limit for the number of miles you would be willing to commute or move for the new job.
Excellent info! Never thought to search my skills...

Old 05-24-2018, 11:42 AM

10 posts, read 8,252 times
thanks!!. ill give indeed a try. ill still try craigslist for job listing as well though since that's where i have gotten vast majority of my jobs.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Depends on your field!

simplyhired and indeed are great for most fields.

dice, net-temps are great for tech jobs.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:27 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Depends on your field!

simplyhired and indeed are great for most fields.

dice, net-temps are great for tech jobs.

Not sure about indeed since I been receiving scam calls after applying to jobs on their website

Old 05-29-2018, 02:47 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Not sure about indeed since I been receiving scam calls after applying to jobs on their website
Everyone gets scam calls. The scammers do something similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb1r_uKOew4

Instead of the kid above looking for modems, they look for live people, play their scam script.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search