Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 09:23 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times

Advertisements

Hi:

Should I only put down my accomplishments for each job on my resume? I start off with a few sentences describing what I did while employed there and then add a few accomplishments with bullet points.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 10:38 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,713 times
I've gone back and forth with this. It depends on your industry.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:18 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
Should I only put down my accomplishments for each job on my resume?
No. Whatever you've been doing even if you didn't enjoy it or it didn't turn out well.
Often what didn't turn out well offers us the best lessons.

This is the point in all the threads about having gaps.
There are no gaps.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No. Whatever you've been doing even if you didn't enjoy it or it didn't turn out well.
Often what didn't turn out well offers us the best lessons.

This is the point in all the threads about having gaps.
There are no gaps.
I wasn't referring to gaps. I was questioning, for each job that I've had, should I skip the brief description of what I did and only just list what I accomplished.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:27 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,243 times
Exclamation Accomplishments

Quote:
Hi:

Should I only put down my accomplishments for each job on my resume? I start off with a few sentences describing what I did while employed there and then add a few accomplishments with bullet points.

Thank you.

Your Profile paragraph should go a long way toward letting Resume Readers know what you do within the nature of your industry, a hint of what you have accomplished (not bullets but reference to inventing new processes or discovering new products or cost saving or building sales teams or Process Improvement, etc.) and how long you've been doing it.

The Profile paragraph orients and pre-closes the Resume Reader toward the job for which you are seeking.

If what you do/did is/was industry specific (like being a Chemical Engineer) then noting briefly with each job what you do/did is helpful so the employer will know you are/were involved in similar/same processes as those of the employer's company.

Speak briefly to this so it is clear you have a same/similar background but don't go on and on or you leave no room for questions from the employer.

Then list three or four meaningful bullets.

If you are a more common person, doing mainstream stuff like SCM, Purchasing, Production, Management, Sales, etc. then only include a brief sentence or so that orients the Resume Reader to your particular professional niche/industry and then stop and list a few bullets that are reflective of the points of the job description, the job for which you are applying.

Measurable achievements/accomplishments that do not mimic what is expected of you in the new job are not of value, so don't list just any accomplishments, list ones that can help the Resume Reader visualize that the successes/achievements/accomplishments you have executed in the past can reasonably be expected to be duplicated for the new employer.

Accomplishments that mimic the new employer's industry/company are the 'proof' you can do the job that is expected of you at the new company.

Paul......

Old 07-08-2018, 05:52 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
I wasn't referring to gaps.
Neither was I.
I apologize if using that 'leaving things off' example confused you.

Quote:
I was questioning, for each job that I've had,
should I skip the brief description of what I did and only just list what I accomplished.
Again... No.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Neither was I.
I apologize if using that 'leaving things off' example confused you.

Again... No.
I appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search