U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,815 posts, read 54,486,657 times
Reputation: 31118

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Obviously you donít know me......but thanks for the input.

What strangles the process is that they dont accept emailed applications etc. one has to snail mail the info to them. I am only 30 mins from their offices but I doubt that dropping in is acceptable. I have been ďcommission only ď. for over 20years ..making a great income..(6 figures) I am just ready to get off of the road....i see myself working another 5-7 years then retire.......the jobs will be a pay cut but the commute would be heaven.
Your state might have an unusual process, snail mail is rare these days. Both agencies I have worked at currently accept only online applications. Our state also requires online application, and setting up an account with user ID and password. The application requires a letter of interest, resume, transcripts if degree required, and at least one letter of recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2018, 10:51 AM
 
662 posts, read 223,907 times
Reputation: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Your state might have an unusual process, snail mail is rare these days. Both agencies I have worked at currently accept only online applications. Our state also requires online application, and setting up an account with user ID and password. The application requires a letter of interest, resume, transcripts if degree required, and at least one letter of recommendation.
That would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 02:38 PM
 
1,061 posts, read 399,701 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
one has to snail mail the info to them.

Oh hellllllll no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 05:07 PM
 
662 posts, read 223,907 times
Reputation: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Oh hellllllll no
MechaMan...I wish that I could keep giving you kudos on your comments...alas....not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 05:09 PM
 
662 posts, read 223,907 times
Reputation: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Your state might have an unusual process, snail mail is rare these days. Both agencies I have worked at currently accept only online applications. Our state also requires online application, and setting up an account with user ID and password. The application requires a letter of interest, resume, transcripts if degree required, and at least one letter of recommendation.
I live in Illinois...nuff said. Broke, corrupt and all the Governors end up in prison! Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Minnysoda
8,635 posts, read 8,534,348 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Good grief! The hoops and requirement wear me out! I donít have the energy to comply......
If you were in Minnesota I'd give you an interview on spec and it's a one page app.....Don't think you'd be able to hide the defeatist attitude though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:42 AM
 
662 posts, read 223,907 times
Reputation: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
If you were in Minnesota I'd give you an interview on spec and it's a one page app.....Don't think you'd be able to hide the defeatist attitude though
Just wow......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 05:40 AM
 
1,061 posts, read 399,701 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
If you were in Minnesota I'd give you an interview on spec and it's a one page app.....Don't think you'd be able to hide the defeatist attitude though
People in Minnesota in my experience are a bit on the jolly side so your opinion may be skewed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 06:47 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,156 posts, read 2,936,914 times
Reputation: 24193
Um, you do realize a lot of this is a test, right? They know that applicants who really want the job as offered, under the conditions they must or choose to offer it, will find a way to jump over whatever hurdles are put in front of them. They know they'll probably get a lot of applicants and that they'll run the gamut from someone who only really cares about the taxpayer-pool salary, the relative job security compared to the private sector, the transferability from agency to agency, the pension plan and health coverage to the few applicants who have determined that they want THAT job for some altruistic service-oriented reason.

The ones who are most determined to meet whatever idiosyncratic requirement they put up are probably the ones worthy of their attention. The ones who persevere, put the dumber stuff into perspective, and don't get sidetracked by trivia. Kind of weeds out the chaff wouldn't you say?

And BTW, you eliminated yourself...they didn't have to do anything, waste a second, lift a finger. Now I call that efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 07:41 PM
 
662 posts, read 223,907 times
Reputation: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Um, you do realize a lot of this is a test, right? They know that applicants who really want the job as offered, under the conditions they must or choose to offer it, will find a way to jump over whatever hurdles are put in front of them. They know they'll probably get a lot of applicants and that they'll run the gamut from someone who only really cares about the taxpayer-pool salary, the relative job security compared to the private sector, the transferability from agency to agency, the pension plan and health coverage to the few applicants who have determined that they want THAT job for some altruistic service-oriented reason.

The ones who are most determined to meet whatever idiosyncratic requirement they put up are probably the ones worthy of their attention. The ones who persevere, put the dumber stuff into perspective, and don't get sidetracked by trivia. Kind of weeds out the chaff wouldn't you say?

And BTW, you eliminated yourself...they didn't have to do anything, waste a second, lift a finger. Now I call that efficient.
Point taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top