U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,244,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Um, you do realize a lot of this is a test, right? They know that applicants who really want the job as offered, under the conditions they must or choose to offer it, will find a way to jump over whatever hurdles are put in front of them. They know they'll probably get a lot of applicants and that they'll run the gamut from someone who only really cares about the taxpayer-pool salary, the relative job security compared to the private sector, the transferability from agency to agency, the pension plan and health coverage to the few applicants who have determined that they want THAT job for some altruistic service-oriented reason.

The ones who are most determined to meet whatever idiosyncratic requirement they put up are probably the ones worthy of their attention. The ones who persevere, put the dumber stuff into perspective, and don't get sidetracked by trivia. Kind of weeds out the chaff wouldn't you say?

And BTW, you eliminated yourself...they didn't have to do anything, waste a second, lift a finger. Now I call that efficient.
Actually the way it works is a long drawn out application and hiring process makes you lose the top candidates in your pool.

The very best won't tolerate it and also won't be on the market long enough to get through it.

They are also finding out, which won't matter much for government, that businesses that sell products or services to the public are losing sales when they have these types of hiring practices. They basically upset the candidates (who are also customers), and they stop buying their products, tell people they know etc.... In one study a company attributed many, many millions of dollars in lost sales because of their over drawn out hiring process. Virgin Media was losing 5 million dollars a year in revenue because of their inefficient hiring process and how they where treating the candidates.

Last edited by High Altitude; 07-11-2018 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 04:39 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,122,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
State!? Try applying for FEDERAL job...geez the inanity of it all.

How some people I've seen with federal jobs made it through the process I'll never know.
Honest to G-d, it sometimes leaves me speechless.
Federal was the worst experience I've had applying for a job. I gave up at the point I was required to fax a copy of my resume (in addition to uploading it) to one fax number, then fax a copy of my transcripts to another number.

Why, why, why, does anyone require anything to be faxed anymore?

Old 02-27-2019, 10:58 PM

39 posts, read 6,111 times
The two public agency employers I have worked for both had some elaborate application processes, but turned out to be well worth the effort, as I spent 17 years at one with 5 promotions, 9 years now at the 2nd with two promotions.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:28 PM

2,424 posts, read 693,558 times
The private sector is ridiculously broken.

* No entry level jobs except for Mcjobs and sales jobs, that require no experience. Career changers and recent grads are locked out.
* People get discriminated against for being older, being out of work, demanding actual market salaries, etc.
* Job applications that are horrifically long and ridiculous requirements in the job posting. "5 years experience in Windows 10"

Old 03-04-2019, 04:10 AM

662 posts, read 223,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wered View Post
If you can't handle dealing with the bureaucracy of the application and hiring process you would never be able to deal with actually working there.
Actually...my attitude and frustration has improved. I attended a workshop on how to better understand the process of applying for a State job. All...positive, helpful and very informative! Worth the 3 hours invested!
I still am curious as to why applying for a job is not automated but I can adjust.

I do belive that I have a shot at landing a State job. The process is straightforward.

As for my “defeatist” attitude that was pointed out to me.....I am an upbeat, positive glass half full kind of person for the most part. I do understand how my comments could have been interpreted. I am at a point in my life that has reevaluated that my work-life balance needs a kick in the pants. And a change in venue. Thus, my challenge.

Good conversation and input on my thread. Thanks for playing!

Old 03-07-2019, 04:09 AM

UPDATE...I applied! Took two tests for two different positions. Received two As! Very encouraged that I CAN do this!!

Mystery solved....all of you kicked me in the pants! When I started this thread last summer I was sad and dreading the idea of looking for a new job. I need to do this. I am no longer happy doing what I do. Which does make me sad.....but life moves on.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:01 AM

8,800 posts, read 13,294,168 times
I also played the test game back in the day for the State of Illinois...

Shortly after I graduated I decided to try for an Illinois Forensic Scientist position. I had to take a 2 hour or so test downtown at the State of Illinois Building. It was based on pattern recognition, grammar, and surprisingly very little chemistry like Chem 101 level chemistry not even full on general/organic/analytical. Anyways I got an A rating and got put on a list for chemistry. Since I was a biochemist I also took the test for DNA. I came back a different day (no choice) and took what was basically 3/4 the same test and 1/4 bare bones don't even need to be a science major biochem questions. Once again I scored an A rating and got put on the list.

In the end nothing. The list expired after 1 year and they invited me to come back 2 more times to retake each exam so I could be put on the lists again. No thanks.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I also played the test game back in the day for the State of Illinois...

Shortly after I graduated I decided to try for an Illinois Forensic Scientist position. I had to take a 2 hour or so test downtown at the State of Illinois Building. It was based on pattern recognition, grammar, and surprisingly very little chemistry like Chem 101 level chemistry not even full on general/organic/analytical. Anyways I got an A rating and got put on a list for chemistry. Since I was a biochemist I also took the test for DNA. I came back a different day (no choice) and took what was basically 3/4 the same test and 1/4 bare bones don't even need to be a science major biochem questions. Once again I scored an A rating and got put on the list.

In the end nothing. The list expired after 1 year and they invited me to come back 2 more times to retake each exam so I could be put on the lists again. No thanks.
I understand that this may be my fate too but I have to throw my hat in the ring to find out. I am sorry that this happened to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or