Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:01 AM

86 posts, read 122,677 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

I had a phone screening with a recruiter on Thursday. I thought it went pretty well, there was one question that I stumbled on and had to recollect. He said that the HR Manager would be in contact with me. Well, low and behold, I got a rejection emailed yesterday, and my application status was changed to Not Hired. And it was a job I really wanted smh. But anyway, I wonder who does the rejecting? Is it the recruiter or HR? It looks to me, HR because of the time it took to be rejected. But geese, what's the point of the phone screening with a recruiter if HR is going to reject you?! Yeah I do understand that they screen to see if your experience is related to the job duties of their open position, but then again, I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 05:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,227 posts, read 80,442,347 times
Not all companies operate the same way. In our case the recruiter, HR and the hiring manager all have the opportunity to reject. Ultimately, though, it’s the hiring manager, who has the ability to override the recruiter and HR if they can justify an interview for someone who may not meet 100% of the requirements.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not all companies operate the same way. In our case the recruiter, HR and the hiring manager all have the opportunity to reject. Ultimately, though, it’s the hiring manager, who has the ability to override the recruiter and HR if they can justify an interview for someone who may not meet 100% of the requirements.
Thank you. I emailed the recruiter as to why was I rejected from the job. He stated they needed someone who's three plus years of X experience, even though they didn't list that and stated the applicant at the minimum needed under a year of experience.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,227 posts, read 80,442,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancojewel912 View Post
Thank you. I emailed the recruiter as to why was I rejected from the job. He stated they needed someone who's three plus years of X experience, even though they didn't list that and stated the applicant at the minimum needed under a year of experience.
It's unfortunate that some employers will mislead people in the job description.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I emailed the recruiter as to why was I rejected from the job. He stated they needed someone who have three plus years of X experience, even though they didn't list that. The ad actually stated the applicant at a minimum needed under a year of experience.
Edit, too many mistakes in the original post. This rejection has left me with a headache, smh.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:20 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,171,182 times
Quote:
So a low performing person with X years experience qualifies but an amazing performer with X-.5 years doesn't.

What a great system this company has.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:14 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,454,874 times
Quote:
Hello to all,

I had a phone screening with a recruiter on Thursday. I thought it went pretty well, there was one question that I stumbled on and had to recollect. He said that the HR Manager would be in contact with me. Well, low and behold, I got a rejection emailed yesterday, and my application status was changed to Not Hired. And it was a job I really wanted smh. But anyway, I wonder who does the rejecting? Is it the recruiter or HR? It looks to me, HR because of the time it took to be rejected. But geese, what's the point of the phone screening with a recruiter if HR is going to reject you?! Yeah I do understand that they screen to see if your experience is related to the job duties of their open position, but then again, I don't understand.
I am sorry. I guess it varies. It doesn't matter anymore. Learn from it and move on. If you really want to work there, apply again at a later date. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,454,874 times
Quote:
I do not think it is true. Check out Linkedin and see.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:52 AM

34,882 posts, read 30,990,556 times
Just depends on the company.

In some companies, HR has a lot more power. In others, they basically act as a passive passthrough to management.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not think it is true. Check out Linkedin and see.
Yeah, I was suspicious! I tried to find the LinkedIn profile of the person who is currently in this position to no avail. I'm sure their experience would have told a different story. I mean come on, I have five years of experience, it would not have been that big of a challenge working in a larger facility than what I'm use. Smh. Many people HR backgrounds at the hospital were similar to mine when comparing past roles as well as the sizes of their facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search