U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 05:59 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,939,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blancojewel912 View Post
I had mentioned it before, that I was rejected Tuesday for a job that I've been wishing for. I did not meet the unadvertised requirements, although I have more than enough experience in XYZ, I did not have enough experience doing Y solely. That doesn't even make since to me, but whatever. I am 7 months into my job search looking for a better opportunity, I don't want to be underemployed. I recently have had some devastations happen to me that has caused my life to be in a turmoil, so I can't take any old salary (I can keep my old one for that matter). I need to support my family. I am newbie so I have made a lot of mistakes in my job search, but I am learning from each of them. I hoping that soon and very soon something good will come through. Most of the jobs I have been rejected from, with the exception of one, I can list many cons about the position and the company, so I am sure something better is coming. I hope this week. Crosses fingers.

I can relate on so many levels. I like your approach and attitude. Unfortunately, I would be happy to take any of the positions I've interviewed for. The locations are ideal. The pay quoted for one is less than I made at my previous job but I would be more than comfortable in my new state. Wow! This cost of living thing is really serious. The other was really low but I could still achieve my goals. I have no idea what the other pays.

The advantage of tribulations is that it puts things into perceptive. You just have to keep reminding yourself. I was a little too stressed yesterday and my body let me have it. I cannot allow that to continue.

I applied to quite a few places yesterday. I am taking a break until Thursday. I mean it this time. Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 06:21 AM

10,614 posts, read 13,157,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I can relate on so many levels. I like your approach and attitude. Unfortunately, I would be happy to take any of the positions I've interviewed for. The locations are ideal. The pay quoted for one is less than I made at my previous job but I would be more than comfortable in my new state. Wow! This cost of living thing is really serious. The other was really low but I could still achieve my goals. I have no idea what the other pays.

The advantage of tribulations is that it puts things into perceptive. You just have to keep reminding yourself. I was a little too stressed yesterday and my body let me have it. I cannot allow that to continue.

I applied to quite a few places yesterday. I am taking a break until Thursday. I mean it this time. Lol!
Taking a break is a good thing to do if you can. Stress has a way of creeping over us even for headstrong types that will slam a fist on the table proclaiming how nothing will knock us down (D. Scott raises hand) I felt way better after the break of getting my resume done. My hours at the job got reduced for the Summer so I have more time and motivation to move forward. I hope you, blancojewel and everyone on here can win this thing by the Fall!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 PM

86 posts, read 56,727 times
Quote:

Haha thank you! Keep your head up! When you have been job hunting for a while, desperation starts to kick in and you're willing to accept anything. Would you mind accepting a part-time job until you can land the job you want? You can go to one of those temps companies and work a few per diem jobs to get your mind off the stress of job hunting? It is a great alternative to earn some extra cash, and quit when you want to because in the end, you make your own schedule/work when you want.

I agree with the second paragraph. Thats why I created a list of jobs I been rejected from, listing the pro's and the con's, many of the jobs i did not want and was only taking them for the money. I can also add with many of them the pay was mediocre! It helps me not to fret on these miss opportunities. I am just hoping something better comes along. This is the perfect timing because I am down on my luck, and I don't need to go anywhere, but up!

Go ahead and give yourself a break. Spend some time doing activities that you enjoy, live in the moment! The job search will always be there. I HOPE SOMETHING COME YOUR WAY SOON! Wish I had magical powers. I'd be wishing something great can hit us!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Taking a break is a good thing to do if you can. Stress has a way of creeping over us even for headstrong types that will slam a fist on the table proclaiming how nothing will knock us down (D. Scott raises hand) I felt way better after the break of getting my resume done. My hours at the job got reduced for the Summer so I have more time and motivation to move forward. I hope you, blancojewel and everyone on here can win this thing by the Fall!
Thank you! I wish the same for you also! Sometimes I need people to vent to, this board helps!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Lol! That tickled me. I appreciate it. I hope you are able to meet your career goals as well.

There was some promising activity today. We will see. I just realized I applied for the exact same position 12 years ago. How incredibly sad.

I did try to do something more analytical. It just never worked out. I guess my strengths are more client oriented. It is funny because I am not a people person at all.

I was invited to apply to a position today. I applied via LinkedIn but she mentioned another website. I did not put my resume on this job board but I will look into it.

I am done for now. I am starting to feel the pressure behind my eyes.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blancojewel912 View Post
Haha thank you! Keep your head up! When you have been job hunting for a while, desperation starts to kick in and you're willing to accept anything. Would you mind accepting a part-time job until you can land the job you want? You can go to one of those temps companies and work a few per diem jobs to get your mind off the stress of job hunting? It is a great alternative to earn some extra cash, and quit when you want to because in the end, you make your own schedule/work when you want.

I agree with the second paragraph. Thats why I created a list of jobs I been rejected from, listing the pro's and the con's, many of the jobs i did not want and was only taking them for the money. I can also add with many of them the pay was mediocre! It helps me not to fret on these miss opportunities. I am just hoping something better comes along. This is the perfect timing because I am down on my luck, and I don't need to go anywhere, but up!

Go ahead and give yourself a break. Spend some time doing activities that you enjoy, live in the moment! The job search will always be there. I HOPE SOMETHING COME YOUR WAY SOON! Wish I had magical powers. I'd be wishing something great can hit us!
I am a huge proponent for temp work. I've done it. Fortunately, I do not have to do that now. I will revisit down the line if I have to. I just want to get on with my life to be honest.

I relish stability. I've been on this merry go round for 5 years. I am done.

I wish the same for you. Magical powers. Nice.

Are you trying to change fields? I recommend posting your resume everywhere. LinkedIn and Indeed.com are hot now. I got the contract to perm hit from careeebuilder. You never know.

I cannot tell you how much anxiety I felt over my linkedin photo. I actually like it. I like quick apply with Linkedin and Indeed.com.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I am a huge proponent for temp work. I've done it. Fortunately, I do not have to do that now. I will revisit down the line if I have to. I just want to get on with my life to be honest.

I relish stability. I've been on this merry go round for 5 years. I am done.

I wish the same for you. Magical powers. Nice.

Are you trying to change fields? I recommend posting your resume everywhere. LinkedIn and Indeed.com are hot now. I got the contract to perm hit from careeebuilder. You never know.

I cannot tell you how much anxiety I felt over my linkedin photo. I actually like it. I like quick apply with Linkedin and Indeed.com.
I understand the former!

I'm still in my 20's so I am looking for an opportunity, rather its in my field or a similar one. I am not being

too choosey, I love anything that includes operational management, solving operational problems, so that

includes a broad spectrum of jobs. I am a creative person, who likes to think outside of the box, and I am,

now, applying to jobs that will allow me to do so. I can't stand doing robotic work, but will doit if everything

else fails. Oh yes, I have been Indeed and Linkedin! I don't see the latter helpful in my field as much as it is

in IT/engineering, and the likes. I find people to treat Linkedin as a social media site, and it hasn't taken me

anywhere as far as networking goes. But, I still use it for research purposes and finding jobs. I am big

fan of indeed! Even though I haven't gotten a job yet, I feel I am so much closer!! I been on two interviews

(today and last Thursday) (very mediocre pay, no pay increase)and love the experience. I am getting better

with them, I am no longer nervous, and actually confident about what i bring to the table!! With that being

said, I hope something good comes along for all of us!

Old 07-17-2018, 04:01 AM

Great, good luck!

I have two later today. I find that each interview is a learning experience. My confidence is also increasing. I am still baffled by how this woman found me. I actually started to apply on Sunday but stopped because of a question on the app. I get an e-mail from the recruiter. She found me on a website I did not post my resume on. I am confused. Great job but the field part and the location are not ideal. We'll see. The other would be a great next step in my career.

I am going to find more places to advertise myself. It is always better when they come to you.

All of the companies are so interesting and they provide an invaluable service. I am little concerned about the management team at one of the companies. I think the hiring manager was demoted and he seems a little scattered. I have not advanced thus far so it does not matter.

So far no break, that is a good thing. Lol! Today is hiking day. Yay! I love it. It is a couple of hours to disconnect and explore God's splendor.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Great, good luck!

I have two later today. I find that each interview is a learning experience. My confidence is also increasing. I am still baffled by how this woman found me. I actually started to apply on Sunday but stopped because of a question on the app. I get an e-mail from the recruiter. She found me on a website I did not post my resume on. I am confused. Great job but the field part and the location are not ideal. We'll see. The other would be a great next step in my career.

I am going to find more places to advertise myself. It is always better when they come to you.

All of the companies are so interesting and they provide an invaluable service. I am little concerned about the management team at one of the companies. I think the hiring manager was demoted and he seems a little scattered. I have not advanced thus far so it does not matter.

So far no break, that is a good thing. Lol! Today is hiking day. Yay! I love it. It is a couple of hours to disconnect and explore God's splendor.

Good Luck! I hope you get both! Heck, I hope you get more interviews! This is definitely progress, and you'll get a job in no time. Enjoy your hiking trip also!

Old 07-17-2018, 12:31 PM

85 posts, read 61,743 times
My experiences with contract/temp work.

I've seen companies hire contractors and keep them as contractors for 10 years with no intention of hiring them permanently (Lower overhead I guess)

I've seen companies Hire contractors and tell them they have 2 years work of work, only to let them go after 6 months. No explanation given.

Very rarely do I see contractors go permanent or direct. It happens, but in my eyes, its rare.

So unless money is an issue, I would stay away. That's my take anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or