U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:34 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,936,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
My experiences with contract/temp work.

I've seen companies hire contractors and keep them as contractors for 10 years with no intention of hiring them permanently (Lower overhead I guess)

I've seen companies Hire contractors and tell them they have 2 years work of work, only to let them go after 6 months. No explanation given.

Very rarely do I see contractors go permanent or direct. It happens, but in my eyes, its rare.

So unless money is an issue, I would stay away. That's my take anyway.
I agree. I was actually hired. I will only consider as a last resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 05:26 PM

Five interviews and nothing so far. I am only interested in two. I think it is annoying for a recruiter to ask for your salary but he/she does not tell you what the position pays.
Today sucked. I could not find my hiking group.

My first interview pissed me off. How do you learn without opportunity? I meet most of the requirements. I am not getting a call back. Whatever! The other asked a series of questions. I think I did well but I am not interested. Yuck to both. I have no idea what either job pays.

Hiring manager! I do not know what you want. It is such bull. I am really taking a break from this humilating torture.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 PM

86 posts, read 56,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Five interviews and nothing so far. I am only interested in two. I think it is annoying for a recruiter to ask for your salary but he/she does not tell you what the position pays.
Today sucked. I could not find my hiking group.

My first interview pissed me off. How do you learn without opportunity? I meet most of the requirements. I am not getting a call back. Whatever! The other asked a series of questions. I think I did well but I am not interested. Yuck to both. I have no idea what either job pays.

Hiring manager! I do not know what you want. It is such bull. I am really taking a break from this humilating torture.
That's where I am at. Somedays, I just know something great is going to come and this job search is preparing me. Other days, I am sick of all these dead ends I am coming across, like today!

Yes that pisses me off. Somethings are not rocket science, it doesn't require years of expertise. It's ridiculous I have seen entry-level, non-degree, non-professional jobs like hostessing now require 2 years of experience. I'm like man, it's hostessing. You can't be serious!

Go ahead and treat yourself to sometime off, you need it!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:20 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,259,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancojewel912 View Post
That's where I am at. Somedays, I just know something great is going to come and this job search is preparing me. Other days, I am sick of all these dead ends I am coming across, like today!

Yes that pisses me off. Somethings are not rocket science, it doesn't require years of expertise. It's ridiculous I have seen entry-level, non-degree, non-professional jobs like hostessing now require 2 years of experience. I'm like man, it's hostessing. You can't be serious!

Go ahead and treat yourself to sometime off, you need it!

I keep telling myself that something good will come from this job search most of the time. Other times I get completely frustrated and wonder if I will find something anywhere close to what my last position was in terms of salary and suitable to my skill level. So many others that I know who ended up laid off around my age group are underemployed or ended up moving away from the area to find work that met their criteria.

I've put out a lot of applications and have had interviews and everyone is taking their time making a decision. I actually had one company call back and ask me if I am still looking for jobs while THEY decide. I politely said that I was looking at multiple opportunities but was still very interested in them of course. What I really wanted to say was of course yes I put my entire life on hold while one company decides if I am worthy...lol.

I also shake my head at some of the job listings I come across when searching my local area. Entry level food service jobs requiring 2-3 years of experience for 9 bucks an hour?!

Yes, definitely a good idea to take at least a day off during the week from the job search. I try to take off a day and at least take off Saturday.

Good luck to everyone out there

Old 07-18-2018, 04:52 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,858,228 times
Currently, I work at a private preschool as a TA but I'm looking to get my Level 3 Certification and get into the Board of Education. So things are getting better for me but I'm still fighting the good fight.

Hang in there.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:47 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,123,144 times
How's the hunt going?

After going to an interview six weeks ago and being ghosted, I get a rejection with a suggestion that I clean my car before the next interview. I don't have a pickup, not a car. Why does he care if someone has a clean car or not?

When inquiring about an IT related position a discussion about my education came up, which felt was not technical enough. I was asked, "what do geography majors do now that they don't make paper maps to fold anymore?" I explained that they never folded paper maps unless they needed one for navigation if they were doing field work, and today they put all those things on a map into a relational database, complete with a database table with attributes of those things on a map, along with their latitude and longitude, which allows them to query the data the same they would using SQL. He said he didn't want to match wits with me.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 AM

86 posts, read 56,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I keep telling myself that something good will come from this job search most of the time. Other times I get completely frustrated and wonder if I will find something anywhere close to what my last position was in terms of salary and suitable to my skill level. So many others that I know who ended up laid off around my age group are underemployed or ended up moving away from the area to find work that met their criteria.

I've put out a lot of applications and have had interviews and everyone is taking their time making a decision. I actually had one company call back and ask me if I am still looking for jobs while THEY decide. I politely said that I was looking at multiple opportunities but was still very interested in them of course. What I really wanted to say was of course yes I put my entire life on hold while one company decides if I am worthy...lol.

I also shake my head at some of the job listings I come across when searching my local area. Entry level food service jobs requiring 2-3 years of experience for 9 bucks an hour?!

Yes, definitely a good idea to take at least a day off during the week from the job search. I try to take off a day and at least take off Saturday.

Good luck to everyone out there
I understand. I understand. Don't give up, there is something out there for you. We have to search in every depth and crevice to get jobs in this age. Even though it's hard, don't give up! I don't really know what else to say because I am in this with you. I haven't got out yet to learn the purpose of what I been through or if there is even a purpose, just looking back at my past experiences.

Yeah, the last two interviews I have been on, the employers will be taking a while to make a decision. I find that government/city jobs have the tendency to do so. They take forever to call you in for an interview also.

I just went in for an open interview today. It went well with the first manager/director I met, but the second. Gosh, no. I thought she was dismissing me because she quickly noted that the company is looking for someone with xyz experience, which I don't have. But darn, it's not rocket science, it's entry level, and they have two weeks of training for the position anyway. Crazy thing is she's not even the director of the department. She is a director of another department. The other person I interviewed with was a manager of another department, also. But, I still hope I can get a call back. I'm going to email the actual director to try to get my foot in the door.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
How's the hunt going?

After going to an interview six weeks ago and being ghosted, I get a rejection with a suggestion that I clean my car before the next interview. I don't have a pickup, not a car. Why does he care if someone has a clean car or not?

When inquiring about an IT related position a discussion about my education came up, which felt was not technical enough. I was asked, "what do geography majors do now that they don't make paper maps to fold anymore?" I explained that they never folded paper maps unless they needed one for navigation if they were doing field work, and today they put all those things on a map into a relational database, complete with a database table with attributes of those things on a map, along with their latitude and longitude, which allows them to query the data the same they would using SQL. He said he didn't want to match wits with me.
Lol! You were showing off.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:29 PM

Either too much or too little experience. I looked up the LinkedIn profiles of people who have the job I want. The recent hire in my opinion is overqualified. The other was a data entry clerk. I need friends. As soon as I get to my new city, I will be joining meet up groups to network. There is literally no rhyme or reason.

I got another hit on a position that is quite intriguing. I've submitted so many apps that I do not know what is what.

I got another one today with a strange request. They wanted the names of my references and salary info. I sent it but I have not heard back. They treat salary in this state like it is a classified secret. I think I have the right to know what the position pays.

No more apps until next Thursday.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:14 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,123,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Lol! You were showing off.
Not at all. I was trying to make a point that you shouldn't talk down to someone about their major when you have absolutely no clue about a discipline you think should be dismissed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or