U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:05 PM

708 posts, read 776,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post

I appreciate it. I finally got the date and time for the other opportunity.

I will follow up on this one on a Monday.
Good luck, goodlife!

I have a second phone interview Friday with a company. Was kind of surprised when I was originally contacted and didn’t think it was anything serious. So we’ll see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 01:25 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,930,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Good luck, goodlife!

I have a second phone interview Friday with a company. Was kind of surprised when I was originally contacted and didn’t think it was anything serious. So we’ll see how it goes.
Good luck!

Old 08-07-2018, 02:31 PM

25 posts, read 10,354 times
You're welcome goodlife36 and please keep us updated.

Also, good luck to you mangomadness!

I am wishing you all the best of luck!

Old 08-09-2018, 05:15 AM

10,613 posts, read 13,141,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Rec View Post
Job Hunting is one of the most stressful experiences I ever had. It just shows how much of how we value ourselves is tied up with our job position, salary, the material things we have, etc. So when we're out of commission, we feel our lowest.

There have been times where I didn't want to get out of bed. I felt I had nothing to live for. There had been times when I would stress about what others thought about me. Did they think I was lazy, unambitious, pitiful? Look at my cousin, he landed a new job traveling and making great money, he just scored a new Mercedes, but I am still here-jobless. Look at my classmate, she just made the 40 under 40 list, what have I done? Nothing!

These are all the emotions I felt, plus many more.

Just know when you are at your lowest, there is no where else to go, but up. Even if progress won't come the next day, or next week, or even the next month. Just know that it is coming. Persistence will pay off.
Persistence does pay off. I just got a new job in my previous industry I have many years experience in. I had been applying for 2 years, had few interviews and got rejected for those I went on. I actually got a job through a job fair. Last place I thought I would get one. I did not even want to go as I thought it would be a waste of time. I figured I will miss every shot I dont take and got dressed and showed up. Im over 40 also and seemed to be the oldest there too.

I noticed there were only a handful of people there also, despite it taking place in the middle of Manhattan. This was also surprising to me. Maybe things are improving in the favor of us job seekers, even if its just a little.

Hope everyone gets the job they are looking for. Keep at it and capitalize on every opportunity.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Persistence does pay off. I just got a new job in my previous industry I have many years experience in. I had been applying for 2 years, had few interviews and got rejected for those I went on. I actually got a job through a job fair. Last place I thought I would get one. I did not even want to go as I thought it would be a waste of time. I figured I will miss every shot I dont take and got dressed and showed up. Im over 40 also and seemed to be the oldest there too.

I noticed there were only a handful of people there also, despite it taking place in the middle of Manhattan. This was also surprising to me. Maybe things are improving in the favor of us job seekers, even if its just a little.

Hope everyone gets the job they are looking for. Keep at it and capitalize on every opportunity.
Awesome. All the best!

Old 08-09-2018, 11:35 AM

25 posts, read 10,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

Congrats! I have had more than a fair share of rejections from interviews. In my last job search, I am almost embarrassed to tell you how many no's I received until I stumbled upon a yes. However, when I look back at it, some of those companies I wouldn't have wanted to work for. Some of those positions, I wouldn't have wanted to be in because quite frankly, the work would have bored me to death. I need a challenge in my life.

I was becoming so overwhelmed in my job hunting that I was applying for positions I wasn't interested in. Not to mention, the pay was terrible! I got called in for one interview. Then I looked back on the company's website to see how much the pay was. There was no way I could taken this job because in the end, I would quit it when something better comes along.

The hardest part was explaining this to my family. Everyone wants to know why are you unemployed for so long! What is wrong with you for you not being able to obtain a simple job! There is these accusations of you being lazy, unprosperous, etc! But in the end, I knew what was I was doing. I knew what my goal was. And quite frankly, it is none of their business. I am not asking them for anything, what so ever.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:28 PM

I am frustrated and overwhelmed. I do not understand why h.r does not find out the interviewer's schedule before they call. I potentially have four interviews next week but two are pending. I am grateful but you guys know how it goes.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:47 PM

86 posts, read 56,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am frustrated and overwhelmed. I do not understand why h.r does not find out the interviewer's schedule before they call. I potentially have four interviews next week but two are pending. I am grateful but you guys know how it goes.
Good luck on the interviews!

I agree. I had someone from HR ask me would I like to come in on the 7th or 8th of this month. This was all via email. I replied that the 7th would be great for me. However, she sent me an email confirmation for an interview on the 15th of this month, lol. It was one of those last resort jobs. The pay wasn't great at all. I'm sure I made comparable when I worked as a server.

Even though I would get interviews, I found myself always frustrated because most of the times, it was for jobs that I did not want. It was for jobs with bad pay that I wasn't desperate enough to take.

And not to mention, interviewing is tiresome. It comes to a point where we are tired of interviewing. We are just ready to sign are hiring papers.

Wishing you the best goodlife!

Old 08-09-2018, 06:04 PM

That is how I feel. You put so much effort to prepare and they forget about you as soon as you are gone. I wish some of these companies' websites were more user friendly.

One is requesting something I find ridiculous. I am not doing it. I will wait to hear the outcome tomorrow.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:54 PM

1,991 posts, read 864,637 times
Just got my Masters degree and I have an appointment with Robert Half recruiting company to see if I can get an interview for this position.

It sucks having a Masters with only 2 years of work experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or