U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:28 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,930,974 times

Advertisements

Good luck! It could be worse. You could have zero experience. Congrats on the Master's. I start mine in the Fall. I need a job. I am completely over this search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 10:02 PM

708 posts, read 776,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Just got my Masters degree and I have an appointment with Robert Half recruiting company to see if I can get an interview for this position.

It sucks having a Masters with only 2 years of work experience!
Ha! I had an impromptu Skype interview with Robert Half today. Nothing special. The basic stuff about my background to see if I matched with a position they had. The position sounded interesting so I went with it.

Congrats on the Master’s degree! I just finished mine as well. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Ha! I had an impromptu Skype interview with Robert Half today. Nothing special. The basic stuff about my background to see if I matched with a position they had. The position sounded interesting so I went with it.

Congrats on the Masterís degree! I just finished mine as well. Good luck!
Congrats!

Old 08-10-2018, 04:26 AM

I stood my ground and I was victorious. I am not complying with any ridiculous requests to be rejected or ghosted. They got me once never again.

I have three scheduled for next week all of whom are second round interviews. I am pending one new HR interview. Great company. I am surprised. I applied to a couple of positions. I am not going to hold my breath. I wonder how much they pay. I am hopeful for the two in-person interviews. It is time crunch. The door is closing.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I stood my ground and I was victorious. I am not complying with any ridiculous requests to be rejected or ghosted. They got me once never again.

I have three scheduled for next week all of whom are second round interviews. I am pending one new HR interview. Great company. I am surprised. I applied to a couple of positions. I am not going to hold my breath. I wonder how much they pay. I am hopeful for the two in-person interviews. It is time crunch. The door is closing.
All interviews have been confirmed. The door is really closing. I was only able to apply to one job. I need to create a folder for temp companies that have reached out to me. I would prefer evenings or a job that allowed two days off during the week. I have done all I can do for now. I need to focus on preparing for this move. I want something sweet but I do not have my car. I am not walking in this blazing heat. There is stress and there is stress. This is stress. Good Luck, Goodlife. It is time for you to have one.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:25 AM

Do not ever have multiple interviews when you move. It is hell. Well, they are over. I interviewed well with the one I want. Fingers crossed. Back to the hunt on Friday. Sigh! The well is drying up. It is interesting; we are usually trying to sell ourselves. However, it is also an opportunity for the company to sell themselves. I haven't been interested in some of them. Sometimes, it is the delivery system and sometimes it is the people. The biggest turnoff is when the person interviewing you states things aren't correct.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Do not ever have multiple interviews when you move. It is hell. Well, they are over. I interviewed well with the one I want. Fingers crossed. Back to the hunt on Friday. Sigh! The well is drying up. It is interesting; we are usually trying to sell ourselves. However, it is also an opportunity for the company to sell themselves. I haven't been interested in some of them. Sometimes, it is the delivery system and sometimes it is the people. The biggest turnoff is when the person interviewing you states things aren't correct.
Hang in there.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Hang in there.
I am trying. Sigh!

Old 08-25-2018, 11:43 AM

Congratulations to all that have been extended offers. My search has been a colossal joke. I was hopeful but I cannot say I am completely surprised. I decided to put the Master's degree on hold. Who am I kidding? It would be a waste. Thank God I was able to get rid of my school debt.

I applied for a lower level position in a job I could do quite easily. I was rejected within hours. I wrote a cover letter and stripped down my resume but I guess it was not enough. The place was 10 minutes away. That hurt. I was not given a chance to hope.

The well has officially run dry. There is nothing out there. I had an impromptu interview with an h.r recruiter. It was clear that she has been desperately trying to find someone to fill the position to no avail. I had no idea what she was talking about. There is a reason why certain jobs are hard to fill. I would not want to do that all day.

I have an interview next week for a job that looked good on the surface but now I am not so sure. It is going to be a waste of time unless she is willing to allow me to learn on the job. If not, whatever.

I was really hurt to get a rejection for a position I thought would work. I am glad I followed up. They were not going to send me a rejection e-mail.

I am down to one. She has not responded as of yet. She may decide to never respond.

There are so many directions to go in the blame game. It is draining. I am starting to feel physical pain.

You never know the background of your Uber driver. I met someone with the occupation I wish I had pursued drove because he does not really like his job. The other is a professional in my field with several years of experience as a director and she has been unemployed for over a year. She gave me quite an education. The person also has her Master's.

I guess temping is my only alternative at this point. I got a hit on an interesting prospect. I hope she responds. I am also considering going back to school to get a low level clinical degree to increase my marketability.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:51 PM

goodlife, I understand your frustration. I was rejected for three jobs that I absolutely knew I could do. Jobs that I had really wanted at the time. Not even mentioning all of the other rejections in one form or another, just the ones that really got to me.

One rejected me before I could even get home from the interview! I spent two hours there and not even 30 minutes later, I got a rejection. I had spent over a week, including 3 days straight of prepping for that interview, up late at night going over responses, technical skills, and any behavioral questions that could come up. Yet, I was an immediate reject. I was absolutely crushed behind it.

Another job, I was told I was the top candidate. I impressed all of the interviewers. All told me about my being a great fit, explained how I would work great with the team given my skill set. We even talked further about the industry and general conversation. I expected to get an offer the next week. Instead, they disappeared on me. I was hurt with that blow also. I finally received an official rejection email only last week!

I took a basic part-time job just to feel like I was capable of working at something. But I left my mornings and early afternoons free in order to keep applying, to keep interviewing, and to keep doing career growth activities.

The company that just gave me an offer moved so quickly, I was stunned. Even with three rounds of interviews. No goofy gap questions, no skepticism on my skills or character for having job hopped at one point, no questions on my non-linear background, no ghosting. A night and day experience from others before.

I haven’t worked in my field for over a year. Yes, I was in school, but I wasn’t working. I don’t know why you feel your Master’s degree isn’t worth getting. I won’t tell you different as I have a different background from you. I will say, before starting my Master’s degree program in 2015, I was making minimum wage plus commission for originating mortgages. In 2018, I’ve been offered more salary than I have ever made, even pre-2008 and before the dot com bust. The Master’s degree pursuit and achievement played a significant role in that.

To wrap up, I understand your feelings of discouragement, but you can’t give up. Take a temp job if you have to - you don’t want to be in a place where you are “desperately interviewing.” Leave some room to keep applying and interviewing for what you really want if you can. Your job is out there.

Last edited by mangomadness; 08-26-2018 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or