U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2018, 05:11 AM
Status: "Gaining Stability." (set 9 days ago)
 
5,684 posts, read 5,930,974 times
Reputation: 4432

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
goodlife, I understand your frustration. I was rejected for three jobs that I absolutely knew I could do. Jobs that I had really wanted at the time. Not even mentioning all of the other rejections in one form or another, just the ones that really got to me.

One rejected me before I could even get home from the interview! I spent two hours there and not even 30 minutes later, I got a rejection. I had spent over a week, including 3 days straight of prepping for that interview, up late at night going over responses, technical skills, and any behavioral questions that could come up. Yet, I was an immediate reject. I was absolutely crushed behind it.

Another job, I was told I was the top candidate. I impressed all of the interviewers. All told me about my being a great fit, explained how I would work great with the team given my skill set. We even talked further about the industry and general conversation. I expected to get an offer the next week. Instead, they disappeared on me. I was hurt with that blow also. I finally received an official rejection email only last week!

I took a basic part-time job just to feel like I was capable of working at something. But I left my mornings and early afternoons free in order to keep applying, to keep interviewing, and to keep doing career growth activities.

The company that just gave me an offer moved so quickly, I was stunned. Even with three rounds of interviews. No goofy gap questions, no skepticism on my skills or character for having job hopped at one point, no questions on my non-linear background, no ghosting. A night and day experience from others before.

I haven’t worked in my field for over a year. Yes, I was in school, but I wasn’t working. I don’t know why you feel your Master’s degree isn’t worth getting. I won’t tell you different as I have a different background from you. I will say, before starting my Master’s degree program in 2015, I was making minimum wage plus commission for originating mortgages. In 2018, I’ve been offered more salary than I have ever made, even pre-2008 and before the dot com bust. The Master’s degree pursuit and achievement played a significant role in that.

To wrap up, I understand your feelings of discouragement, but you can’t give up. Take a temp job if you have to - you don’t want to be in a place where you are “desperately interviewing.” Leave some room to keep applying and interviewing for what you really want if you can. Your job is out there.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I am happy that you secured a great opportunity.

It has been tough for a very long time. Lots of hurt and a great deal of loss. I am just tired. I am ready to get on with my life and stop being a vagabond.

I feel terrible about putting my Master's on hold. I do not want to incur debt I cannot pay. I need to secure employment first.

Temporary employment is not ideal. I do not want to do this. It is challenging to interview while working on a temporary assignment. I have to keep trying and present myself as I am. I do not want just a job. I am looking for longevity and growth.

In the interim, I am trying to focus on doing things I enjoy with people of like mind.

Thanks again, I am encouraged.

Last edited by goodlife36; 08-27-2018 at 05:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2018, 02:15 PM
 
708 posts, read 776,590 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I am happy that you secured a great opportunity.

It has been tough for a very long time. Lots of hurt and a great deal of loss. I am just tired. I am ready to get on with my life and stop being a vagabond.

I feel terrible about putting my Master's on hold. I do not want to incur debt I cannot pay. I need to secure employment first.

Temporary employment is not ideal. I do not want to do this. It is challenging to interview while working on a temporary assignment. I have to keep trying and present myself as I am. I do not want just a job. I am looking for longevity and growth.

In the interim, I am trying to focus on doing things I enjoy with people of like mind.

Thanks again, I am encouraged.
Well, I’m going to wish you luck. For what it’s worth, I didn’t blaze through my Master’s program. It took me 3+ years. I dropped classes in the middle of a term twice and then had to skip a term completely. Then I dropped to one class a term vs two. No blazing through here.

I came to know two people who both had to drop altogether. One was like you and needed employment; the other had family matters come up that required whatever attention wasn’t given to her FTE.

The one who needed employment actually found a job within 3 months of dropping from school. I ran into him while I was going to class one evening and he told me all about it. I just spoke with him again last month because his company had a job that sounded interesting and I was going to seek a referral. He gave me the heads up and I passed, but he let me know that he was returning to school this Fall.

Point being, school will still be there whenever you’re ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 03:19 PM
Status: "Gaining Stability." (set 9 days ago)
 
5,684 posts, read 5,930,974 times
Reputation: 4432
It has been the one bucket list item that has alluded me. It is a huge accomplishment. Some of the people I went to college with have multiple graduate degrees. Sigh! I have a few months before my start date. 40+ is really the new 20. Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Up Yonder
260 posts, read 463,299 times
Reputation: 227
Chiming in with my 2 cents, Goodlife. You aren't alone. Glad to see some success stories here about people getting jobs. Quick backstory: I have a background in radio broadcasting/freelance reporting. Looking for jobs as a communication specialist. Also have office and customer service experience. Was laid off from my full-time job in May after doing customer service for department stores for 5.5 years. Not what I wanted to do, but kept a roof over my head. Looking to move from my area because nothing in my field and there really aren't a lot of good paying jobs here. Although, I do still send out resumes here for a few jobs. I have been concentrating on Raleigh, NC, which has a ton of jobs. I have a career coach and some contacts and took a trip down there the beginning of May. I really like the area. Sending out resumes and letting my connections know of the jobs I am interested in. I haven't even been contacted for an interview and my resume has my cousin's address on it (she lives in Raleigh).

I know things are picking up nationally but it is frustrating for me. Can't give up. I really don't want to go back to doing customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 08:38 AM
Status: "Gaining Stability." (set 9 days ago)
 
5,684 posts, read 5,930,974 times
Reputation: 4432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
Chiming in with my 2 cents, Goodlife. You aren't alone. Glad to see some success stories here about people getting jobs. Quick backstory: I have a background in radio broadcasting/freelance reporting. Looking for jobs as a communication specialist. Also have office and customer service experience. Was laid off from my full-time job in May after doing customer service for department stores for 5.5 years. Not what I wanted to do, but kept a roof over my head. Looking to move from my area because nothing in my field and there really aren't a lot of good paying jobs here. Although, I do still send out resumes here for a few jobs. I have been concentrating on Raleigh, NC, which has a ton of jobs. I have a career coach and some contacts and took a trip down there the beginning of May. I really like the area. Sending out resumes and letting my connections know of the jobs I am interested in. I haven't even been contacted for an interview and my resume has my cousin's address on it (she lives in Raleigh).

I know things are picking up nationally but it is frustrating for me. Can't give up. I really don't want to go back to doing customer service.
Thanks for chiming in. Our situations are more similar than you think. I just made the big leap myself. I've been looking remotly for two months with my new address. I've gotten hits for hard to fill roles and slightly above entry level positions. I am either not qualified or overqualified. It is so frustrating because I am in the mecca for my field. I have had interviews for two positions I am interested in. One is on hold. They other I am waiting on a decision.

There isn't much available at the moment. I am now considering temp work. It is tough when you do not know anyone. I love it here so I have to figure it out. I am home.

I seriously considered Raleigh. I visited last year but decided against it because I did not think it was right for me. While there are lots of opportunities in my field, I believe the competition is even more fierce. Jobs are not in the burbs.

I've learned the address means they do not have to worry about travel costs. However, they know where you are from. I have not been able to make it to most hiring managers.

No hits with a local addess is really bad. Raleigh is super popular. People are moving there by the truck load.

If you are in a hard to fill role, you can write your your ticket. If not, it is going to be tough. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Up Yonder
260 posts, read 463,299 times
Reputation: 227
[quote=goodlife36;52931095]

I seriously considered Raleigh. I visited last year but decided against it because I did not think it was right for me. While there are lots of opportunities in my field, I believe the competition is even more fierce. Jobs are not in the burbs.



Yes, that is how it feels. Lots of jobs in that area but probably a few hundred applying for the same job. I looked up churches in the area before I went down in the spring just to see what they were like and one had a job support group. I have made a few contacts and they are super nice. They volunteer their time. I definitely need a job before I move. Like you are saying now, maybe a temp job. BTW, if you don't mind me asking, where are you now? I live in Pennsylvania, near Scranton. Tried to make it work here but I don't see things getting any better. Never really wanted to stay but family issues cropped up and then I did get a job in my field. I am grateful I am still doing the freelance reporter job to keep my skills sharp I also look at Philly and that would be good too but COL is too high and really don't want to deal with snow much longer.

Just feel like I am floundering. Glad I can come on here and vent for a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 06:28 AM
Status: "Gaining Stability." (set 9 days ago)
 
5,684 posts, read 5,930,974 times
Reputation: 4432
Wow! They offer a support group? That is awesome. I inquired about a church close to me but they do not allow you to visit outside of service or bible school. I need to look further. I have signed up for Meetup. It is very active here.

I experienced the same in my hometown. It has been extremely hard. I am not sure if I would have done it had it been a choice.

I am just not marketable. It does not matter where I live. I recently met a bunch of young people who are all employed in niche type jobs. They will never have any issues. What does any ordinary middle-aged woman do?

I feel sad right now. I do not expect to be selected for this position. It would be great inspite of the low pay.

I have to just keep plucking away.

When I visited Raleigh, I went to a musuem. I do not recall the name. The museum was so so but the grounds were extraordinary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Up Yonder
260 posts, read 463,299 times
Reputation: 227
You are marketable! We all are. We just haven't found the right opportunities yet. For some, it seems like they come a lot easier. For others, we have to keep checking haystacks and under rocks. It takes a lot of hard work and time but it will be worth it in the end. Have faith and believe in yourself!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Status: "Gaining Stability." (set 9 days ago)
 
5,684 posts, read 5,930,974 times
Reputation: 4432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
You are marketable! We all are. We just haven't found the right opportunities yet. For some, it seems like they come a lot easier. For others, we have to keep checking haystacks and under rocks. It takes a lot of hard work and time but it will be worth it in the end. Have faith and believe in yourself!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 05:14 PM
 
17,256 posts, read 10,183,539 times
Reputation: 28775
I feel for you guys.

I know what it's like to suffer the crushing blow of rejection, despite our best efforts and things that are out of our control.

I am somewhat fortunate in that I still have a job, but it never hurts to always look for something better. But as I get older, I'm stuck. The older you get, the harder it gets to find a job, so if you lose the one you have, it's very stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top