U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:05 AM

2 posts, read 923 times

Advertisements

I need to work at least part time. Live in Leander, will go as far as North Austin. Lifelong profession is childcare; would love to try something new. Not Uber, etc. Ideas or offers? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 03:39 AM

662 posts, read 223,907 times
Hospital? Walmart? Did you check the job boards such as indeed.com?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:30 AM

86 posts, read 56,611 times
How about Food & Beverage? When I was in undergrad, I use to enjoy working as a banquet server for a temp agency. You work when you want to and the work is fun, in my opinion. We would work banquet events for mostly luxury hotels, convention centers, schools, and catering companies. Most times there is free food involved, sometimes you can get an hour plus break depending on the event, but what I really like is the fun atmosphere you get with a lot of the events, especially weddings!

Or you can work at a restaurant as a server or hostess. Or how about take some bartending classes to become a bartender. And of course, you can work retail. I would go with a position like cashier because it's never boring. Retail was one of my jobs in undergrad, I will tell you "zoning" will bore you to death. Imagine 8 hours constantly folding clothes, organizing clothes by size, and putting back returns. But mostly, the first two! Spending most of your work day folding and organizing the same clothes over, over, and over again. I would rather stick to cashiering.

But like the previous poster stated, check out indeed. Get inspired to transcend into something new! Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2018, 08:55 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,307,295 times
Use www.indeed.com.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 AM

2,243 posts, read 942,711 times
If you have any sports teams/venues near you, I often see the elderly working part time there during games and events.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:24 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,307,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
If you have any sports teams/venues near you, I often see the elderly working part time there during games and events.
They're working event security, which is what I do.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:19 PM

21,177 posts, read 11,797,310 times
Quote:
good suggestion. For a few years, I had a (very small) share in season tickets for the local baseball team. It was fun to see the same usher each time we went, and she got to know everyone in her section, even those of us who only came to a handful of games each year.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:26 PM

1,863 posts, read 718,513 times
Try substitute teaching. It is an easy, mostly sit down job with low pressure. You can work full time or part time. You get 3 months off in the summer, a week off for Thanksgiving, two weeks off for Christmas and New Year's, and a week off in March for Spring Break.

Becoming a certified substitute teacher is fast and easy. It would be best to have a Bachelor's degree but if you don't then you could still work for a region such as Region One, Two, Three, etc. in Texas where you don't need to have a degree. These regions train teachers and substitute teachers and provide them to school districts.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:00 PM

86 posts, read 56,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Try substitute teaching. It is an easy, mostly sit down job with low pressure. You can work full time or part time. You get 3 months off in the summer, a week off for Thanksgiving, two weeks off for Christmas and New Year's, and a week off in March for Spring Break.

Becoming a certified substitute teacher is fast and easy. It would be best to have a Bachelor's degree but if you don't then you could still work for a region such as Region One, Two, Three, etc. in Texas where you don't need to have a degree. These regions train teachers and substitute teachers and provide them to school districts.
I agree! You can pick and choose the schools and grades you would like to work with. In addition, you work when you want. With some companies like Source4Teacher, you only need to work 4 days out of the month to continue employment with them. Also OP, you can do substitute clerical if you don't want to work with kids.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:53 AM

662 posts, read 223,907 times
Quote:
And live theater performances! Usher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or