U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 PM
 
86 posts, read 59,694 times
Reputation: 96

Advertisements

It's just one of those days where I am not positive at all about my job search. This weeks has been silent, nothing, but silence. No phone calls, no emails, not a single sign someone is interested in me. It's tuff because I am in a financial rut, I need a breakthrough. This year has been the hardest year of my life. Every since my birthday (literally!), things has been going down hill. Initially, I thought it was a blessing in disguise, a push, a sign that there is better to come. But, it's not. My life keeps going downhill. I am tired of these constant headaches. I literally don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2018, 09:12 PM
 
669 posts, read 232,269 times
Reputation: 1162
I feel for you...really. I am looking but fortunately I am still employed. Keep at it....you WILL find something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 09:52 PM
 
3,460 posts, read 2,231,575 times
Reputation: 6142
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
It really hurts OP I know. I've been there so many times, invested so much time and effort in an interview, only to be told no thanks (or sometimes it was just crickets). You think you nail it and you cogitate for weeks and weeks about why you didn't get it. I know it doesn't help me when I do that but I do. It's easy for some people to move on but I'm not one of them. What I have been trying to do lately is tell myself their loss, or it wasn't meant to be. That works now because I am employed (or let's say underemployed). When I was unemployed for 15 months those tactics didn't work.

I wish you the best in your search, and know that the majority of us on this forum can relate to this story.
I know a guy who has been successful in sales for many years. I asked him what he thought he did which was most useful to a successful sales career. He told me, that after giving a client a proposal, he pre-planned to begin working on the next sale or lead, and to not wait by the phone or e-mail waiting to hear the outcome. Presents the proposal and puts in the calendar the date to follow-up, and then focuses on the next sale. He said early in his sales career he didn't do that. He would wait to hear an answer and felt he couldn't do anything else because he was either sure he got the sale and felt he wanted to wait for the outcome. He learned not to do that.

My point to this is looking for a job is the same thing. You continue to focus on the next thing, because waiting to hear something is more stressful than the actual interview. He had this system down, because he was doing this every day as his job. Most of us if we don't want in sales don't have this kind of experience. We submit and hope to hear something. His example I think is a lesson to work to get out of this mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 03:27 AM
 
5,685 posts, read 5,987,641 times
Reputation: 4439
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I know a guy who has been successful in sales for many years. I asked him what he thought he did which was most useful to a successful sales career. He told me, that after giving a client a proposal, he pre-planned to begin working on the next sale or lead, and to not wait by the phone or e-mail waiting to hear the outcome. Presents the proposal and puts in the calendar the date to follow-up, and then focuses on the next sale. He said early in his sales career he didn't do that. He would wait to hear an answer and felt he couldn't do anything else because he was either sure he got the sale and felt he wanted to wait for the outcome. He learned not to do that.

My point to this is looking for a job is the same thing. You continue to focus on the next thing, because waiting to hear something is more stressful than the actual interview. He had this system down, because he was doing this every day as his job. Most of us if we don't want in sales don't have this kind of experience. We submit and hope to hear something. His example I think is a lesson to work to get out of this mode.
Great advice. However, the challenge lies in why we need the job. While I am not a lover of money, it is essential to survive.

I take solace in the fact that I am not the only victim of ghosting and rejection. It hurts and makes me angry but it is not going to get me a job. The only solution is to keep finding opportunities and apply. That is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 06:14 AM
 
2,158 posts, read 1,889,260 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancojewel912 View Post
It's just one of those days where I am not positive at all about my job search. This weeks has been silent, nothing, but silence. No phone calls, no emails, not a single sign someone is interested in me. It's tuff because I am in a financial rut, I need a breakthrough. This year has been the hardest year of my life. Every since my birthday (literally!), things has been going down hill. Initially, I thought it was a blessing in disguise, a push, a sign that there is better to come. But, it's not. My life keeps going downhill. I am tired of these constant headaches. I literally don't know what to do.
I've been there. Living with relatives and not being able to bring in money or show you're doing something for yourself. Things have gotten better but there's still room for improvement.

The best advice I can give is hang in there. No matter what, stay positive, even if the worst is in front of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 11:57 AM
 
86 posts, read 59,694 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I've been there. Living with relatives and not being able to bring in money or show you're doing something for yourself. Things have gotten better but there's still room for improvement.

The best advice I can give is hang in there. No matter what, stay positive, even if the worst is in front of you.
Thank you! I will try to stay positive. I hope something comes my way soon. It's been a bunch dead-ends so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 01:30 PM
 
714 posts, read 787,959 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancojewel912 View Post
It's just one of those days where I am not positive at all about my job search. This weeks has been silent, nothing, but silence. No phone calls, no emails, not a single sign someone is interested in me. It's tuff because I am in a financial rut, I need a breakthrough. This year has been the hardest year of my life. Every since my birthday (literally!), things has been going down hill. Initially, I thought it was a blessing in disguise, a push, a sign that there is better to come. But, it's not. My life keeps going downhill. I am tired of these constant headaches. I literally don't know what to do.
I empathize. Iím not a fan of this job hunting process either, but Iím learning that it ebbs and flows. Seems like things are going smoothly than nothing. Then suddenly thereís some interest again. The waiting after interviews no fun either. Iím always analyzing how I did afterwards, ahhhh. Anyway, the key is to keep applying and hopefully, the interviews will begin to materialize.

If you are getting to a place where finances are getting tight, are you able to take on a part-time job that will still allow you to job search? I know some people advise against it, but unless they are paying your bills for you, you have to do what you have to. Stressing over money is going to have an affect on you when you speak to recruiters and interview. You can also make hasty decisions because you reach a point where you just need any job. So, if you can, consider something part-time. Iím saying this as someone not above walking into a retail store and taking on part-time hours myself because Iíve done it before.

Try to rest this weekend and take care of yourself. If thereís a free event going on in your area, go out and attend it if youíre up to it. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves that we are more than our employment status and definitely more than what some random software says. Get some ice cream, go to a carnival, visit a street fair, take a walk, or stay in with a good book. Just do something just for you. You deserve that.

Wishing you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 03:12 PM
 
5,685 posts, read 5,987,641 times
Reputation: 4439
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
I empathize. Iím not a fan of this job hunting process either, but Iím learning that it ebbs and flows. Seems like things are going smoothly than nothing. Then suddenly thereís some interest again. The waiting after interviews no fun either. Iím always analyzing how I did afterwards, ahhhh. Anyway, the key is to keep applying and hopefully, the interviews will begin to materialize.

If you are getting to a place where finances are getting tight, are you able to take on a part-time job that will still allow you to job search? I know some people advise against it, but unless they are paying your bills for you, you have to do what you have to. Stressing over money is going to have an affect on you when you speak to recruiters and interview. You can also make hasty decisions because you reach a point where you just need any job. So, if you can, consider something part-time. Iím saying this as someone not above walking into a retail store and taking on part-time hours myself because Iíve done it before.

Try to rest this weekend and take care of yourself. If thereís a free event going on in your area, go out and attend it if youíre up to it. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves that we are more than our employment status and definitely more than what some random software says. Get some ice cream, go to a carnival, visit a street fair, take a walk, or stay in with a good book. Just do something just for you. You deserve that.

Wishing you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 PM
 
86 posts, read 59,694 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
I empathize. Iím not a fan of this job hunting process either, but Iím learning that it ebbs and flows. Seems like things are going smoothly than nothing. Then suddenly thereís some interest again. The waiting after interviews no fun either. Iím always analyzing how I did afterwards, ahhhh. Anyway, the key is to keep applying and hopefully, the interviews will begin to materialize.

If you are getting to a place where finances are getting tight, are you able to take on a part-time job that will still allow you to job search? I know some people advise against it, but unless they are paying your bills for you, you have to do what you have to. Stressing over money is going to have an affect on you when you speak to recruiters and interview. You can also make hasty decisions because you reach a point where you just need any job. So, if you can, consider something part-time. Iím saying this as someone not above walking into a retail store and taking on part-time hours myself because Iíve done it before.

Try to rest this weekend and take care of yourself. If thereís a free event going on in your area, go out and attend it if youíre up to it. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves that we are more than our employment status and definitely more than what some random software says. Get some ice cream, go to a carnival, visit a street fair, take a walk, or stay in with a good book. Just do something just for you. You deserve that.

Wishing you the best.
Thank you! Since frequenting this forum, I learned not to hold out for jobs. I am always applying for jobs and have never let an interview stop me. But, there are interviews that I thought really well, and I just assume that it was the job God had planned for me. However, I didn't get them, lol. I've learned my lesson- wish for the best, but prepare for the worst (a rejection in this case).

Yes, I'm not above that. I was met with an unforeseen financial situation while job searching. So now I am adamant about finding a job with a good salary so I can get out of this financial ruckus. I have enough for bills right now and that's it.

Thank you again! I will try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 07:38 AM
 
1,908 posts, read 745,647 times
Reputation: 4095
Never get excited about getting the job until you get the offer letter. Also, it is not possible to know how the job will turn out just based on interviews. The job may turn out to be a nightmare no matter how great the job seems from interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top