U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:08 AM

85 posts, read 61,846 times

Advertisements

I have been asked that many times. Its never made sense outside of the interviewer is fishing for how long they can expect you on that job.

Sometimes, I just want be snide and answer, "In five years I hope to be interviewing you for your next promotion." but that probably wouldn't go over well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 02:55 AM

39 posts, read 6,234 times
Quote honestly, if you don't have an honest answer, then you're not really doing a job you like and you're in the wrong field.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:37 AM

2,477 posts, read 706,691 times
There is no correct answer to this question. This means every answer is wrong.

This question is used to weed you out, because every answer is wrong.

If they're hiring for a position that they want you to stay in for a long time or a dead-end job, any talk about getting promoted or talk that makes you sound ambitions means you get rejected.

If you say you are just getting experience here so you can get a job at a more famous company, you'll get rejected.

If you say you hope to be in your current position, then you get rejected for not being ambitious.

This is how I would answer: "I don't know. If I knew what lied ahead in 5 years, I'd be getting rich from the stock market. What I do is keep learning, and keep adapting to new trends as they are made known. You never know what will happen, but at least you can be on top of things as they do happen."

Old 03-09-2019, 08:38 AM

2,477 posts, read 706,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelchecks View Post
Quote honestly, if you don't have an honest answer, then you're not really doing a job you like and you're in the wrong field.
And if you give an honest answer and they don't like it, you get rejected.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:17 AM

556 posts, read 629,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACareerChaser View Post
My answer usually is,"my goal right now is to find a position at a company where I can grow and take on new challenges over time. Ultimately, Id like to assume more management responsibilities. But most importantly, I want to work for an organization where I can build (or continue to build) a career."
Address the need you are interviewing for.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:30 AM

42 posts, read 11,742 times
If I didn't need the job that badly, I'd answer the question as follows:

"Not here, because I won't be here in 5 days, much less 5 years. I won't work for you. Why? It's because the question you just asked me is stupid and has nothing to do with my ability to perform the job that I applied for. Asking me possibly the most overused interview question rather than instead expending mental energy on developing an original question tailored for the job advertised makes me think that you are a lazy and stupid person, and I avoid working for lazy and stupid people."

Old 03-09-2019, 12:59 PM

3,804 posts, read 1,389,055 times
Glad I never been asked this silly question on a job interview

Old 03-09-2019, 03:01 PM

6,897 posts, read 7,303,124 times
Quote:
If I didn't need the job that badly, I'd answer the question as follows:
Yeah.
But the problem for me is I don't waste my time interviewing for jobs I don't want (that badly).
If I go on an interview, I WANT the gig.
So, unfortunately I don't expect I'll ever I'll be in a position to really tell interviewers what I think.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:25 PM

4,357 posts, read 8,005,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
In 20 years of interviewing, I have never been asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
It popped up the first time, recently.

What is the right response to the interviewer, so you can make it to the next round? I would like to be prepared for future interviews with other companies.
Who the hell asks that question to someone that's been working that long?

Everyone should know that you're going to get a canned answer to that question. And rightfully so - it's a canned question. Never actually been asked. But if I was asked that today (also been working for 25 years), I'd make up a story like:

"When I was younger, I had a 7-year business plan with my childhood buddy. We pulled it together in high school and were working towards it in college. Well, after dinner one night before we graduated, he was killed by a drunk driver".

At this point, I would lean in a bit and look the interviewer in the eye and say:

"So ever since then, I decided that while having a plan is nice, life is more about being able to adapt to curveballs".

Old 03-14-2019, 02:45 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,707,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
In 20 years of interviewing, I have never been asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
It popped up the first time, recently.

What is the right response to the interviewer, so you can make it to the next round? I would like to be prepared for future interviews with other companies.
Hopefully alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or