Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 08:14 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times

Advertisements

In 20 years of interviewing, I have never been asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
It popped up the first time, recently.

What is the right response to the interviewer, so you can make it to the next round? I would like to be prepared for future interviews with other companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 10:11 PM

674 posts, read 607,718 times
Just give a "motherhood and apple pie" answer: be in a position with more responsibility so I can contribute more, be a team lead, be a subject matter expert, etc etc.

The real answer I'd like to give: have my own place in the Maldives and snorkel or scuba-dive all day long.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:37 AM

669 posts, read 581,372 times
Hopefully retired.��

Old 07-23-2018, 06:56 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
When I was young, I was told that employers wanted people with drive and motivation, so you would say that you saw yourself as a manager in 5 years. Now I am being told that employers want people who will make a lifetime commitment to the current position. So I do not really know what they want to hear.

I'm pretty sure that "working somewhere else" is a wrong answer.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 AM

86 posts, read 123,169 times
My answer usually is,"my goal right now is to find a position at a company where I can grow and take on new challenges over time. Ultimately, I’d like to assume more management responsibilities. But most importantly, I want to work for an organization where I can build (or continue to build) a career."

Old 07-23-2018, 09:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
This is the problem, people trying to guess what the employer is looking for instead of just answering honestly. As a hiring manager (that doesn't use that question) I'm looking for red flags. There is no reason you can't answer such questions honestly while avoiding any red flags. You can be honest (not lie) while still not revealing 100% of your goals, by being more general. For example, saying that you want to grow and take on new challenges over time, assume more management responsibilities and build a career. You didn't say where.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:09 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
In 20 years of interviewing, I have never been asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
It popped up the first time, recently.

What is the right response to the interviewer, so you can make it to the next round? I would like to be prepared for future interviews with other companies.
Quote honestly, if you don't have an honest answer, then you're not really doing a job you like and you're in the wrong field.

While that might be the case for most of us, including myself, it's also not good...

Old 07-23-2018, 10:50 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Just give a "motherhood and apple pie" answer: be in a position with more responsibility so I can contribute more, be a team lead, be a subject matter expert, etc etc.
This ^ (using all the modern buzzwords and phrases), plus including something that makes it clear you are talking about the company you are interviewing and involving yourself with. It's not just being a better version of you, but being this you at that location, with them. It still all goes back to the company. Keep everything circulating back to them and helping them become better.

I disagree with the previous poster. This interviewing nonsense doesn't have to be completely real or genuine. Due to the goofy questions many times, they often lead the conversation into a land of PC and psychology whereby you have to fudge reality to complete the interviewing process.

Be always ready for these kinds of questions, and in a mode of being creative.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I'd like to say, "Oh, I don't know. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" But of course that's not the right response.

Most of what's been suggested here are very good options.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:36 PM

80 posts, read 50,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancojewel912 View Post
My answer usually is,"my goal right now is to find a position at a company where I can grow and take on new challenges over time. Ultimately, I’d like to assume more management responsibilities. But most importantly, I want to work for an organization where I can build (or continue to build) a career."
Yeah, just give a fluffy BS response like that.

It's like when you are asked what your greatest weakness is, you say that you are a little too detailed, or something like that where it isn't really a weakness.

Give stupid answers to stupid questions asked by lazy and/or incompetent interviewers.

The best interviews I've been on have involved a skills test and specific questions related to the job itself to judge competence. If you are in a field where hard skills matter and you get the fluff questions, realize that you are either dealing with an idiot or he really isn't interested in hiring you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search