Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 11:45 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times

Advertisements

The best way to ace an interview is to do it and practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 03:20 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Almost 25 years ago, we were in the process of moving across state. I was still at my job Monday through Friday, then spent the weekends moving. I received a response to a resume I sent out, and explained that I needed a day's notice to interview, since I was seven hours away. No problem...the HR offered to meet with me on a Sunday afternoon. I appeared at the office at the designated time, and the HR proceeded to dictate some letters. I successfully read them back (I take shorthand). The VP that I'd be working for was "old school"...he disliked transcription equipment and dictaphone machines and the candidate for the job MUST take dictation. He also wanted a secretary who was "easy on the eyes". I was hired on the spot, with a very generous salary offer. The VP, turns out, was a charming older gentleman, and I worked for him for years before he retired.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:46 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Only has happened to me in residential construction, but it is the norm.

Best system ever. No resume, no real interview, just a simple call or meet up, talk about your skills and what you have been up to, and a great, see ya tomorrow and we will try you out for a few days. Also, pay is pretty much out in the open and talked about like it is no big deal.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:55 PM

23 posts, read 31,539 times
Surprisingly, yes! I couldn't believe it when it happened.

My manager later gave me some information about the circumstances and i pieced together the rest. It came down to being the right fit at the right time. When you have a core team that is past the forming and storming stages it is really hard to find people that are a cultural fit for that group AND have the technical qualifications to do well at the job. My manager was searching for months (job came open due to a retirement on the team) and when my application joined the pool HR put in a good word for me (i kept email correspondence for months asking politely for updates and whether i could do anything from my end). At the interview my manager basically had 30 mins to make a decision and he didn't want to spend another 6 months looking for the right candidate again, so i think this led to the offer on the spot.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:02 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
I doubt that I could get a job today, I know I couldn't/wouldn't put up with the silly ass questions HR asks. Back when I was young, you put in an application which pretty much was your name, address, age, and SS #. Then you talked to the foreman and he decided if you could do the job or not. Not some HR person that never did the job and follows some handbook on how to hire people.

When I lived in Alaska back in the early 60's if you showed up at a jobsite looking for work the boss would say " You must not want the job because you didn't bring your lunch box with you". They hired everyone and then weeded you out after they saw what you could do.

I think companies lose a lot of good people because of the way they hire today. Sad.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:07 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
M Division and Nodpete, I agree with your posts completely.

Honest to G-d there are interviews taking place today where the person isn't even asked about their actual SKILLS.
Sure a person can make a point to convey that info.....but the questions themselves are not about skills. It's all
"tell me about a time when you.....," or "what would you do if...."

A RESUME can be a lie and say anything to get you past the key word search programs and to the interview. And if a person does that and s/he is asked only BS personality questions which we all know you can make up stories for that also.....that person can BS their way to the job.

No wonder we sometimes observe people on the job and wonder, "How the he11 did they get hired?"

Last edited by selhars; 07-30-2018 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 01:13 AM

86 posts, read 123,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
M Division and Nodpete, I agree with your posts completely.

Honest to G-d there are interviews taking place today where the person isn't even asked about their actual SKILLS.
Sure a person can make a point to convey that info.....but the questions themselves are not about skills. It's all
"tell me about a time when you.....," or "what would you do if...."

A RESUME can be a lie and say anything to get you past the key word search programs and to the interview. And if a person does that and s/he is asked only BS personality questions which we all know you can make up stories for that also.....that person can BS their way to the job.

No wonder we sometimes observe people on the job and wonder, "How the he11 did they get hired?"
I agree! The last few interviews I have been on included these types of questions. I don't think it shows anything besides the ability of a person to think on their feet.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:17 AM

86 posts, read 123,207 times
I have been hired on the spot during my undergrad years working retail and F&B. As a working professional, the answer is no. Every interview requires multiple steps these days. I wish I can land an interview that would result in me getting hired on the spot. *Wishful thinking

Old 07-31-2018, 01:38 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
^^ I hear ya!

Old 08-02-2018, 05:12 AM

4,968 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Almost 25 years ago, we were in the process of moving across state. I was still at my job Monday through Friday, then spent the weekends moving. I received a response to a resume I sent out, and explained that I needed a day's notice to interview, since I was seven hours away. No problem...the HR offered to meet with me on a Sunday afternoon. I appeared at the office at the designated time, and the HR proceeded to dictate some letters. I successfully read them back (I take shorthand). The VP that I'd be working for was "old school"...he disliked transcription equipment and dictaphone machines and the candidate for the job MUST take dictation. He also wanted a secretary who was "easy on the eyes". I was hired on the spot, with a very generous salary offer. The VP, turns out, was a charming older gentleman, and I worked for him for years before he retired.
The secretaries at one of my IT jobs were also very "easy on the eyes". Apparently, that was a qualification to get hired as a secretary. They all looked like models. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search