U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 11:28 AM

86 posts, read 58,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
I need to start calling people in my industry to start a conversation. Email is okay but calling is better. Waiting for job posting doesn't cut it, you have to do more to have more conversations with people who are in a position to hire.
A lot of employers get annoyed by calling, they even state in their ads. It always along the lines of please don't call due to the number of applicants, if we want you, we will call you for an interview. This is why I am hesitant about calling. I will rather cold-email. Just my opinion. Next option for me would be to network in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:47 AM

Thank you goodlife! I'm always grateful to see you in threads I had an interview with someone who young and wasn't the best at interviewing. The whole time I am wondering how are you judging me, but you are stale at interviewing your darn self. Make no sense. Also, how can they judge someone experience, when you don't have much experience themselves. How does that work?

Another thing I hate is people who are obviously fake during interviews. I went to an open interview on last Wednesday, and the lady was so fake. It was just so awkward in the end for me. The irony is she wasn't even the director of the department! He was in training. Companies will skip offer great candidates because they don't have direct experience, they forget about transferable skills. I mean the job is at an associate level, and they are going to do two weeks of training regardless.

Hang in there. I was feeling like you are last night, as you can see. It will pay off in the end. We have to believe this even when times get hard.

Last night, I got over my hopelessness, and went about emailing multiple people. I'm trying to gain entrance with anyone I can, whether it's the Talent Acquisition Manager, Human Resource Manager or Director, or maybe the actual manager of the department. I'm just trying to get my name out there!

I will do some more over the week-end. I hope it pays off in the end. I always been great at writing content because I am a naturally creative person. Hopefully that talent pays off

Old 07-27-2018, 03:44 PM

2,078 posts, read 613,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACareerChaser View Post
Thank you goodlife! I'm always grateful to see you in threads I had an interview with someone who young and wasn't the best at interviewing. The whole time I am wondering how are you judging me, but you are stale at interviewing your darn self. Make no sense. Also, how can they judge someone experience, when you don't have much experience themselves. How does that work?
I have been interviewed by a guy who didn't even know what the correct answers were to the technical questions he was asking. I decided to give up interviewing seriously for the company and just joke about how the Mets have sucked for the past 10 years and haven't had a hope since before Mike Piazza retired.

I don't know how this society functions anymore. It is all just one big joke.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:38 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,963,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I have been interviewed by a guy who didn't even know what the correct answers were to the technical questions he was asking. I decided to give up interviewing seriously for the company and just joke about how the Mets have sucked for the past 10 years and haven't had a hope since before Mike Piazza retired.

I don't know how this society functions anymore. It is all just one big joke.
Lol! I actually laughed out loud. It is the biggest turn off ever. I also had an interview with a hiring manager that could not explain to me what the job entailed. I have not heard back. That is okay. He was demoted. I get the feeling they do not know what to do with him. Competence is important. It really is regardless of ...

Old 07-27-2018, 04:41 PM

The week has come to a close. I got one viable hit. Hiring managers do not like me for some reason. Next week should be interesting.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:27 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,216,574 times
Put your job searching activities on a schedule. Just like a regular work schedule. And just like a work schedule take breaks to do something you can relax and enjoy. If you are worrying all the time and job searching all the time, that is going to lead to more stress.

Being unemployed doesn't mean you aren't working. Looking for a job is often harder work than working at a regular job.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:35 PM

714 posts, read 783,373 times
Friday interview went pretty well. I’m being referred over to the hiring manager. I just need to know why the on-site interview will be nearly 4 hours?? That’s after a first round 45-minute interview... this isn’t for a consulting position either. Is this the new norm? Interviews are getting longer and longer? How many team members do I need to meet with? Wow. I hope this isn’t one of those “what type of animal would you be?” interviews.

Made some good connections at the networking event. Mostly professional peers, a couple of consultants, and a recruiter. I got a few leads, but I'll see how those will play out.

On a strange twist of fate, one person I spoke to at the event is someone I knew from past professional meetings. As we talked, I asked her how things had been going for her. She mentioned her upcoming job interview this Monday. Why is it at the same place I will be on Tuesday??? For the same job!! I didn’t say anything to let her know that I was also in the running, but it gave me intel.... I know her strengths and weaknesses - thank you LinkedIn! I’m thankful because now I can delve even deeper into being that more prepared in areas where I’m weaker than her and put emphasis on my strengths which are already big pluses.

Of course, I have no idea who else may be in the running as the company has been interviewing candidates for a while, so there’s that caveat, but I’ve never had something like that happen before, kinda crazy. Interesting. I’ll be as prepared as I can be regardless.

Still ready for this search to over with.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Friday interview went pretty well. Iím being referred over to the hiring manager. I just need to know why the on-site interview will be nearly 4 hours?? Thatís after a first round 45-minute interview... this isnít for a consulting position either. Is this the new norm? Interviews are getting longer and longer? How many team members do I need to meet with? Wow. I hope this isnít one of those ďwhat type of animal would you be?Ē interviews.

Made some good connections at the networking event. Mostly professional peers, a couple of consultants, and a recruiter. I got a few leads, but I'll see how those will play out.

On a strange twist of fate, one person I spoke to at the event is someone I knew from past professional meetings. As we talked, I asked her how things had been going for her. She mentioned her upcoming job interview this Monday. Why is it at the same place I will be on Tuesday??? For the same job!! I didnít say anything to let her know that I was also in the running, but it gave me intel.... I know her strengths and weaknesses - thank you LinkedIn! Iím thankful because now I can delve even deeper into being that more prepared in areas where Iím weaker than her and put emphasis on my strengths which are already big pluses.

Of course, I have no idea who else may be in the running as the company has been interviewing candidates for a while, so thereís that caveat, but Iíve never had something like that happen before, kinda crazy. Interesting. Iíll be as prepared as I can be regardless.

Still ready for this search to over with.
That is crazy. Life is crazy. It sounds like you had a very productive week which is great!

Old 08-04-2018, 07:38 PM

Despite the negativity I received in my thread about emailing employers, I finally got a hit! I went in for a brief interview with the Manager on yesterday. It went extremely well. So well that I landed an interview with the Director for Tuesday! I'm hoping this will be the straw that breaks the camel (job hunting) back. I am ready for a new adventure.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:58 PM

6,937 posts, read 7,338,710 times
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or