U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:42 AM

25 posts, read 10,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Me too. Support is support. I recently dropped two so called friends because of their lack of support and interest. Folks are very strange. I called them both out on their behavior and they did not know how to respond. They stopped making sense after a while. No apology. Good riddance.
Some of our associates only have us as friends because of their own personal, self-absorded interests. I have had friends who I was always there for them in their times of need. However, when I needed a person to talk to, they were either uninterested or nowhere to be found. I realized, their friendship with me was not that important. I was just one of their "situational" friends. Its crazy, how many friendships I've formed that are just that, "situational" friendships. I am glad I dropped them all. I rather be a loner, than be in superficial friendships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 11:43 AM

25 posts, read 10,718 times
Also congrats PACareerChaser!

I am sending a congrats to mangomadness on the new interview. I hope you land the job!

Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 PM

263 posts, read 465,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACareerChaser View Post
Thank you! I was hired today. I am so excited. I am glad this is finally over. It has been a long, exhausting journey.

I hope everyone in this thread, in this forum are blessed with great opportunities very very soon!!

I have cried tears of joys today. I been through hell and back starting on the day of my birthday. That was in February, now I am finally seeing some change.

Congratulations! I responded to one of your other posts about contacting employers by email. I hope to have the same good luck as you. I lost my job in May. It's bad but a blessing in some ways. It was a crappy job and not what I wanted to do. Just keeping a roof over my head. Well, I am looking to sell the roof over my head and move to another area with more job opportunities in my field. I have contacts, job coach and recruiter. Nothing yet but keeping up the momentum. I need to do the move for financial and well-being issues. It will be hard, never left the area, but have always wanted to. Family and life issues have kept me here and I did have a job in my field for awhile but was laid off in 2009. Been doing some freelance work in it but nothing that will amount to anything. Wish me luck. I really need it. I know things are better on the job front but it is still hard.

Again, congratulations! Glad to hear some good news for a change.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:18 PM

263 posts, read 465,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Rec View Post
Some of our associates only have us as friends because of their own personal, self-absorded interests. I have had friends who I was always there for them in their times of need. However, when I needed a person to talk to, they were either uninterested or nowhere to be found. I realized, their friendship with me was not that important. I was just one of their "situational" friends. Its crazy, how many friendships I've formed that are just that, "situational" friendships. I am glad I dropped them all. I rather be a loner, than be in superficial friendships.
I hear you on that. Same here. They are only friends when it is convenient for them.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:18 PM

86 posts, read 58,968 times
Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
Congratulations! I responded to one of your other posts about contacting employers by email. I hope to have the same good luck as you. I lost my job in May. It's bad but a blessing in some ways. It was a crappy job and not what I wanted to do. Just keeping a roof over my head. Well, I am looking to sell the roof over my head and move to another area with more job opportunities in my field. I have contacts, job coach and recruiter. Nothing yet but keeping up the momentum. I need to do the move for financial and well-being issues. It will be hard, never left the area, but have always wanted to. Family and life issues have kept me here and I did have a job in my field for awhile but was laid off in 2009. Been doing some freelance work in it but nothing that will amount to anything. Wish me luck. I really need it. I know things are better on the job front but it is still hard.

Again, congratulations! Glad to hear some good news for a change.
Thank you! With emailing employers, you win some, you may loose some. However, the win(s) far exceeds the loss(es). I wouldn't want to work for any employer who have negative thoughts about someone showing initiative. I wish you all the best of luck. My advice, is to put your best foot forward and take all the initiative you can. Job searching is too tough. We can't just leave it at submitting an application. We have to do more.

I totally understand where you are coming from. Like I stated before, I loss nearly everything in February, and have been job searching before then. It's been hard. I went through so so so many rejections from applications, phone screening, written interviews, to actual in person interviews. It was tiresome. I wrote a list of all my rejected interviews and realize I suffered no losses.

As hard as it is, keep your head up! Like someone stated, persistence pays off. Again, I am wishing you all the best of luck. Job searching is stressful, it takes over your mind, body, and soul.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:13 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,975,800 times
Quote:
I am a loner too. People are exhausting. I like acquaintances better. Adults do not know how to act when someone points out their selfish behavior. They were not making sense after a while. Not one apology. They both can go to ... and burn.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:33 PM

714 posts, read 785,636 times
Quote:
Also congrats PACareerChaser!

I am sending a congrats to mangomadness on the new interview. I hope you land the job!
Thank you Stephen_Rec! I appreciate it! I am returning the wishes for success to you as well!

I do relate to what everyone is saying about job search support. I appreciate the ability to relate to others as we go through this. My “situational” friends made themselves clearly known last year when I went through hospitalization and losing my sister... I knew then I couldn’t depend on anyone and when even more happened in my life after that, I realized that I would have to learn to somehow find my strength within and be my own cheerleader and hero.

On the upside, I recently found a couple of professional peers who are in similar situations that I can share with about the job search. I just met them so I’m not pouring me heart out, but I appreciate what it is nevertheless.

As far as the search goes, I’m a little bummed because I’m sure at this point that I didn’t get either of the two top positions I was interested in. One let me know almost right away (we really liked you, but we need more experience). The other ghosted on me. That interview went phenomenally well too. Everything I said was exactly what they were looking for and then some. We went over time and became relaxed, speaking about the industry and changes and so forth. All the right cues, but alas, someone must have been better.

Lots of quick application rejections this week too, lots... at least more time wasn’t wasted...

I did have an impromptu interview with a recruiter today. I do like the position and the company, but of course, we’ll see how that goes. Third-party is always hit or miss and usually more miss for me.

I have two phone interviews tomorrow. The one I mentioned before which is a second round interview; the other is an “exploratory” interview with an HR recruiter. Yay!

I’m staying upbeat, but we’re moving later into the year and that’s not good for project work. Hopefully the search is over sooner than later.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Thank you Stephen_Rec! I appreciate it! I am returning the wishes for success to you as well!

I do relate to what everyone is saying about job search support. I appreciate the ability to relate to others as we go through this. My “situational” friends made themselves clearly known last year when I went through hospitalization and losing my sister... I knew then I couldn’t depend on anyone and when even more happened in my life after that, I realized that I would have to learn to somehow find my strength within and be my own cheerleader and hero.

On the upside, I recently found a couple of professional peers who are in similar situations that I can share with about the job search. I just met them so I’m not pouring me heart out, but I appreciate what it is nevertheless.

As far as the search goes, I’m a little bummed because I’m sure at this point that I didn’t get either of the two top positions I was interested in. One let me know almost right away (we really liked you, but we need more experience). The other ghosted on me. That interview went phenomenally well too. Everything I said was exactly what they were looking for and then some. We went over time and became relaxed, speaking about the industry and changes and so forth. All the right cues, but alas, someone must have been better.

Lots of quick application rejections this week too, lots... at least more time wasn’t wasted...

I did have an impromptu interview with a recruiter today. I do like the position and the company, but of course, we’ll see how that goes. Third-party is always hit or miss and usually more miss for me.

I have two phone interviews tomorrow. The one I mentioned before which is a second round interview; the other is an “exploratory” interview with an HR recruiter. Yay!

I’m staying upbeat, but we’re moving later into the year and that’s not good for project work. Hopefully the search is over sooner than later.
Support is nice even if the people are acquaintances. They gave me what I needed and then some. I am a lot more sensitive than l let on. I was really hurt. I want my future relationships to be with people I have things in common.

The more hits, the better. Second round interview is good. I am finding it hard to get to that hiring manager. Perfect interview? You never know with human beings. Sigh!

Old 08-15-2018, 10:41 PM

714 posts, read 785,636 times
How’s it going for everyone?

I got a call from one of the companies I interviewed with last week. I’m headed to the final interview. The recruiter talked numbers, sent over benefits, start availability, asked about any time off needed, and all the usual information gathering. Nothing is official at this point, though. I’m keeping that in mind.

I also went to the career event today and got serious interest by two companies. I was put in the special pile and flagged in their system for specific openings. Not sure where events will lead with those, but a positive experience all around.

Very thankful for the positive experiences.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:14 PM

Sounds good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or