U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 01:14 PM

86 posts, read 58,146 times

Advertisements

I know this has been discussed over and over, but how do you deal with job hunting and/or unemployment stress. I am trying to be positive, but somedays it seems like I just can't. Like last week and this week has been complete duds. I know it's Wednesday, but I have yet to see any promising leads on a new job. I been searching for what seem like forever. I know I have been naive when it came to interviews in the past, but I took each experience and learned from them. But I am still at a crossroad. Sometimes I see this experience as a building block for something much greater than I could even imagine. Other times I see it as just an experience, a meanless one, one that just happen in life. You go through it, but you don't get something better, just stay stagnant. SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 01:56 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,961,951 times
I wish I had the answer. The only thing we can do is keep applying and post our resume everwhere. You just never know. I would also expand your horizons and follow up.

There is simply no rhyme or reason. None!

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I wish I had the answer. The only thing we can do is keep applying and post our resume everwhere. You just never know. I would also expand your horizons and follow up.

There is simply no rhyme or reason. None!

Good luck!
I understand and agree. I just feel at this moment, I am a student who is trying to excel, but is getting no where. I have learned from each one of the mistakes I have made in the process. I have since built better resumes and cover letters. I have worked on my interview skills tremendously! I even find myself enjoying them. I have also worked on networking more, reaching out to employers! But yet, I find myself in no better position than I was before. I am open to criticism, open to making myself a better candidate. But, I am still stuck. The jobs I have had interviews with lately have been complete duds. It's either I don't meet the non-advertised requirements/preference, or the job is some basic administrative, robotic work, with low pay. I'm not trying to be picky, but I need something better than what I have now.

I hope by tomorrow, I get out of this funk! I need to be networking like crazy. I have a list of individuals I need to email. So, I'll be resting/getting my mind right for the rest of today.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:55 PM

Keep it up. The best way to counter stress is action.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Keep it up. The best way to counter stress is action.
Thank you!!!

Old 07-26-2018, 10:45 AM

This week and last week have been unprogressive. No promising emails or phone calls! I also notice the lack of professional jobs I am qualified for on Indeed, Glassdoor, and LinkedIn. Hopefully next week will be better. Until then, I have been sending emails to companies I am interested in, starting last night Hey, what's the worse they can say

Old 07-26-2018, 12:47 PM

I am in the same boat. I submitted applications for jobs I am not interested in today. I feel unproductive and depressed.

The job I was interested in is filled. Opportunities are drying up.

Thanks for reminding me. I will submit a general application to a company I am interested in.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 PM

714 posts, read 783,019 times
Stay encouraged, guys. Every week won’t be full of activity from employers. I keep telling myself that anyway.

I’m still waiting to hear from one company I interviewed with last week. I was told they would meet early this week to make a decision so hopefully I’ll hear something soon either way. Trying not to focus much on it, but it was a long interview that went well. It’s hard not to think about it.

I have another interview next week that I’m prepping for. Two hours. I know I’m getting grilled, so yes, I’m prepping now.

Heard from a job I applied to last week. I have a 15 min call with the HR recruiter tomorrow.

Going to a short networking event tonight.

Signed up for a targeted career fair scheduled for early next month just in case I’m still looking by then. Hopefully I won’t be. I haven’t done a career fair in years, but the companies that will be at this particular one intrigued me, so I saved a spot and will go if it still makes sense to do so when the time comes.

I got some rejections as well, but they were all from companies I had only applied to, but not interviewed with.

I’m ready for this to be over with.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Stay encouraged, guys. Every week wonít be full of activity from employers. I keep telling myself that anyway.

Iím still waiting to hear from one company I interviewed with last week. I was told they would meet early this week to make a decision so hopefully Iíll hear something soon either way. Trying not to focus much on it, but it was a long interview that went well. Itís hard not to think about it.

I have another interview next week that Iím prepping for. Two hours. I know Iím getting grilled, so yes, Iím prepping now.

Heard from a job I applied to last week. I have a 15 min call with the HR recruiter tomorrow.

Going to a short networking event tonight.

Signed up for a targeted career fair scheduled for early next month just in case Iím still looking by then. Hopefully I wonít be. I havenít done a career fair in years, but the companies that will be at this particular one intrigued me, so I saved a spot and will go if it still makes sense to do so when the time comes.

I got some rejections as well, but they were all from companies I had only applied to, but not interviewed with.

Iím ready for this to be over with.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:54 PM

You're welcome goodlife36 and thank you mangomadness! I am ready for this to be over as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or