U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 06:05 PM

9 posts, read 2,640 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working as an administrative assistant -- doing the usual payroll, financial, budgeting tasks at present, but I have a long and varied career history working with computers, web design, customer service, and all kinds of specialized software, including my current job where knowledge of scientific terminology and concepts is often needed. Also I've had extensive work history in academia.

I want to find a new job, and unfortunately a lot of the better paying jobs in my city are in the medical field -- hospitals, medical colleges, etc. What would someone recommend that someone like me do, in order to have a chance at clerical jobs in the medical field when I don't have any prior experience in that area? Say, working in a doctor's or dentist's office or hospital. What kind of training or certificate can I get that would help fill in the gap on my resume? I see a lot of jobs I think I could do well at, but then I see "medical office experience preferred" and get discouraged :-(

Any suggestions or insight on medical office work would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 06:27 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 9 days ago)

9,500 posts, read 3,645,114 times
It would take about 6 months to get a Certified Medical Assistant I think. They do a lot of things with patients but are also trained in office procedures. My ob/gyn has CMAs that work in his office, taking blood pressure, weight, etc. also working with medical records. Many CMAs work in doctor's offices. Note: A CMA and CNA (Certified Nurse Assistant) are two different things.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:22 PM

86 posts, read 56,246 times
I agree with PriscillaVanilla! But I also saw number of them that doesn't require a CMA, but just knowledge of medical terminology, especially for a Clerical Coordinator. Would you be interested in enrolling in such class? Another option is is to still apply, but get your resume in the hand of an actual hiring manager or the person who does the interviewing/hiring in that particular medical/dental office! Linkedin is your friend with this one. I usually google "hiring manager x hospital, or talent acquisition x hospital", and get results. Or you can simply find the establishment on Linked and see who is employed there, use the filters of course to find the people you need. From there, try to find out their email, you may have to guess or find someone who can help. Lastly, after getting the email, write a kick a*ss cv/message to them! State your experience, your accomplishments in similar positions, and most importantly, what you can do for them!

Old 07-25-2018, 07:28 PM

The jobs I am looking at don't involve patient contact or doing procedures, but are rather strictly clerical jobs with duties similar to what I do now, except in a medical environment. So yes I would be interested in taking a medical terminology course but do you think online credit courses are taken seriously? (I'm not sure I have the time or money to actually physically attend a medical terminology program...) I'm guessing medical coding is something I would need to look into as well.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:16 PM

86 posts, read 56,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDay123 View Post
The jobs I am looking at don't involve patient contact or doing procedures, but are rather strictly clerical jobs with duties similar to what I do now, except in a medical environment. So yes I would be interested in taking a medical terminology course but do you think online credit courses are taken seriously? (I'm not sure I have the time or money to actually physically attend a medical terminology program...) I'm guessing medical coding is something I would need to look into as well.
I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem at all. It's just medical terminology, it's not something that requires hands on experience, just memorization. No employer would care if it was taken online, just as long as you have it under your belt. That's just my experience in regards to Clerical Coordination positions at hospitals. But like I said in the other post, just apply and reach out to the hiring manager and/or those in charge of that designated office

Ex:

https://appvault.com/jobs/21599/sjch...l-coordinator/

A listing for a similar position at a hospital in my area.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:34 AM

1,859 posts, read 715,844 times
Quote:
This is Health Care Administration. Certainly online courses from accredited colleges and universities are taken seriously. It doesn't matter if the courses are taken directly at the school or online. It is the accreditation of the school that matters not on how a student obtains the credit.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Health Care Administration and earned that degree entirely online. My degree was taken seriously by everyone that I came in contact with.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the advice. I am not sure I am really looking to get a bachelor's or master's degree to be a clerical worker in a doctor's office though... surely that can't be necessary?

Old 08-06-2018, 10:21 AM

25 posts, read 10,371 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I am not sure I am really looking to get a bachelor's or master's degree to be a clerical worker in a doctor's office though... surely that can't be necessary?
It is isn't necessary at all. Like others have stated, you may only need a course in medical terminology or perhaps a MA certificate. I am going with the former. Just my experience working in the health industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or