U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:58 PM

86 posts, read 56,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
This is similar to information I was given yesterday by a career coach who volunteers his time once a week giving advice. He has had years of experience and is still working as a consultant for companies. He said to find articles on companies that state they are growing. They don't necessarily have to have a job opening advertised. He said to send them an email ( you can call the company for the hiring manager's name - I have) stating you would love to help them grow and explain how you can do that in your email. You show you are taking the initiative by doing this. I been sending in resumes and feels like they go into a black hole. He also said about 20% of people get jobs that way. The other 80% network and use other methods, like reaching out. It seems like you have to get creative these days.
Thanks for the response. I have heard that on several occasions by well qualified people. However, it seems to not be a popular outlet in this thread. Then again, I don't personally know these CityData users or their qualifications, or lack thereof But then again, I was the one who ask for their advice

I agree. When submitting a application for many jobs, it's probable that you're sending it into a black hole. You're qualified, but so are 30 other guys. It's a gamble.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:51 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,934,902 times
I usually follow up with h.r after an interview. I have learned to do it only once. I have followed up a little too often in the past and I was blocked.

I understand what you mean. I would not have had most of my positions without a referral.

I would say continue. You never know. Everyone is different. You have to be open-minded and flexible.

Yes, ghosting does exist. They say the unemployment rate is low but no one tells you the competition is fierce.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:00 PM

8,959 posts, read 8,406,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACareerChaser View Post
Exactly! They are dismissing qualified candidates by purposely being obtuse.

There is too much competition for jobs forever me to end my job searching efforts at submitting an application.
So are they dismissing qualified candidates, or is there too much competition from other qualified candidates? These seem to be contradictory statements.

Quote:
I agree. Like I stated, my intentions was to further show how I can be an asset to the company. There is so much competition for jobs who even knows if your resume would be looked at, let alone your cover letter.

Yeah, I am qualified, but so is 50 other guys. How can I show that I want it more than these 50 other guys? How can I show I am more innovative than these other guys?

But when you go the extra mile in expressing your interests, people are puzzle as to why are you doing so?
You seem to be settling on the too much competition factor.

As a hiring manager too much qualified competition isn’t my problem. It simply gives me more choices. I will review resumes and cover letters fairly, and conduct unbiased interviews. That means not making decisions based upon people who email me and lobby for the job.

You seem upset that there isn’t an end run around the process that you can work to your advantage. That is simply the reality of life. If sending hiring managers direct emails had a tremendous payoff, everybody would do it, and you would be in the exact position you are in now.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:37 PM

903 posts, read 654,335 times
Quote:
Do employers respond to emails? As part of my job search, I email employers to further let them know I am interested in working for the company. So my question to anyone who does hiring: do you answer emails of people seeking employment? If so, what tips do you have! I have had some email me back, but for others, nothing. The last time I was job searching was in 2016 and I was looking to make a career change into education. I emailed several people then, but only one responded. I don't know if they are swamped with emails, or just work in general or decided to leave the hiring process to HR. I'm not entirely too sure.

I don't care for calling employers because many note in fine print to not call, if they are interested in me, they will call me. I don't want to be seen as a nuisance.
Yea. Id answer it. Depending on your qualifications, Id probably schedule a lunch. Whats the field youre looking to move to?

Old 07-31-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ForksSC View Post
Yea. Id answer it. Depending on your qualifications, Id probably schedule a lunch. Whats the field youre looking to move to?
Thank you! However, would you say that is more applicable to tech-engineer related jobs? I'm not in that field.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 PM

326 posts, read 116,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Employers here are full of clueless millenial managers who play childish games and ghost qualified candidates. It is tough to find a job here because of that crap/
I actually saw a news story the other day on this... except the roles were reversed. Apparently someone had accepted a position with a company and then for whatever reason didn't show up and didn't give the employer any notice. The employer was upset about having his time wasted.

Is this the "ghosting" that people talk about?

My biggest question is how is that any different from what employers do on a daily basis to potential candidates? They interview candidate and never contact them again not even with a "thanks, but we're going with someone else."

LOL

Old 07-31-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
I actually saw a news story the other day on this... except the roles were reversed. Apparently someone had accepted a position with a company and then for whatever reason didn't show up and didn't give the employer any notice. The employer was upset about having his time wasted.

Is this the "ghosting" that people talk about?

My biggest question is how is that any different from what employers do on a daily basis to potential candidates? They interview candidate and never contact them again not even with a "thanks, but we're going with someone else."

LOL
It is no different. But employees are learning that, just like the company, they should have their own interests at heart.

That's something I would advise against though. What if the company opens up a position in the future that he/she would really like? I try to be mindful of that. That is why I am not taking any ol' job just to "ghost" an employer when something better comes along I can stay where I am at for that- with a two weeks notice, of course

Old 07-31-2018, 09:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 2,926,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As a hiring manager I delete unsolicited contacts like this without comment or reply. If I receive enough from a person that I recognize their name/email address, I set my filters to delete the message before it hits my inbox.

We post all openings, and all applicants need to go through our HR application system. I don’t have the time or inclination to deal with people who want to work for me if. I don’t have a position open.
Yep. Even if I had time and inclination to assist some strange emailer chances are I can't be of much help other than forwarding their message to HR. A couple of agencies I worked for got these cold contacts fairly frequently. Usually the emailer had no clue about what they could even do, only a vague idea of the work they were interested in, no idea what positions might be available and even less about the qualifications necessary to be eligible for them. A waste of time for everyone. I expect someone who has done their homework about such careers also knows who to contact in the first place.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:34 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
In large organizations, people need to work through the process. A hiring manager may not even have the flexibility to respond. It also can come across as a pest.

This may work a lot better at small organizations that have more flexibility.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:00 AM

40,218 posts, read 15,184,892 times
Folks, remember that rude comments and personal attacks can earn you an infraction and temporary suspension of posting privileges. This thread has been cleaned up and numerous inappropriate posts deleted. The thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or