U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:19 PM

86 posts, read 56,976 times

Advertisements

Do employers respond to emails? As part of my job search, I email employers to further let them know I am interested in working for the company. So my question to anyone who does hiring: do you answer emails of people seeking employment? If so, what tips do you have! I have had some email me back, but for others, nothing. The last time I was job searching was in 2016 and I was looking to make a career change into education. I emailed several people then, but only one responded. I don't know if they are swamped with emails, or just work in general or decided to leave the hiring process to HR. I'm not entirely too sure.

I don't care for calling employers because many note in fine print to not call, if they are interested in me, they will call me. I don't want to be seen as a nuisance.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:45 PM

28,544 posts, read 62,270,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACareerChaser View Post
I email employers to further let them know I am interested in working for the company.
I don't want to be seen as a nuisance.
Are you sending these cold ...or to companies advertising for people?
If the latter... STOP it! They have a process and reasons for doing that.

If the former... there are better ways to cold call prospects
but all of them require actually meeting.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:52 PM

1,714 posts, read 561,192 times
If I don't know the person, or someone I know didn't tell me to watch for a message from someone, I won't even open an email from a stranger with my work email address.

Personally, that's more to be safe from a cyber-security point of view than anything.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:52 PM

9,792 posts, read 17,010,948 times
I assume everyone who applies for a job is interested in working for the company. I would refer you to the Open Jobs listing on the HR page, and tell you to follow the prompts. Are you asking specific questions? What kind of information are you looking for/do you think you are going to get?

Old 07-30-2018, 12:53 PM

9,010 posts, read 8,433,569 times
As a hiring manager I delete unsolicited contacts like this without comment or reply. If I receive enough from a person that I recognize their name/email address, I set my filters to delete the message before it hits my inbox.

We post all openings, and all applicants need to go through our HR application system. I don’t have the time or inclination to deal with people who want to work for me if. I don’t have a position open.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:58 PM

4,102 posts, read 2,959,690 times
Quote:
Do employers respond to emails? As part of my job search, I email employers to further let them know I am interested in working for the company. So my question to anyone who does hiring: do you answer emails of people seeking employment? If so, what tips do you have! I have had some email me back, but for others, nothing. The last time I was job searching was in 2016 and I was looking to make a career change into education. I emailed several people then, but only one responded. I don't know if they are swamped with emails, or just work in general or decided to leave the hiring process to HR. I'm not entirely too sure.

I don't care for calling employers because many note in fine print to not call, if they are interested in me, they will call me. I don't want to be seen as a nuisance.
Who, exactly, are you emailing? Let's say you want to work for Microsoft.....who are you emailing and how do you know his/her email address?

It's a terrible strategy. Nobody wants unsolicited emails from someone looking for a job, especially if they aren't in HR. As someone else said, it would likely get filtered out as junk mail nowadays. If I get an email and don't recognize the person, I won't even open it and absolutely under no circumstances would I open up any attachments they sent.

Apply through the normal channels, it's your best bet if you are applying for something. The evidence is in the fact that you've apparently tried this already and it did not work and you got basically no responses.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:16 PM

Let me clarify a few things. I emailed employers after submitting an application to take the extra steps in notifying them of my interest in the position. I only email those who are participants in the interview/hiring process meaning managers/directors whether in HR or in the actual department. Also let me make not, I just started doing this the second week of July. I have only emailed three employers thus far, most was emailed the end of last week.

I have talked to many Hiring Managers, and a lot of them recommend it. I was just asking for further opinions, but I see this is not popular with some of you on here.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
The evidence is in the fact that you've apparently tried this already and it did not work and you got basically no responses.
Eh, that was in 2016 and I was emailing principals of schools. I did get some reply backs, but not from all, as noted in the initial post. It's a gamble.

Like I stated, I only start doing this early this month and received a reply. Also, most of the emails I sent was just last week- Friday.

I'm just seeking out more opinions on the matter. Some people are for it and other people, like in this thread, are against it.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,855 posts, read 54,552,867 times
That's what the junk mail folder is for. Even after someone has applied, I will not respond, that's what HR is for. As a hiring manager I make the decision and will not be influenced by an email that's outside of our process. Actually I might be influenced negatively. If you want to follow up and make sure your application has been received, email HR, not the hiring manager. Your opportunity to express your interest was in the cover letter, and if selected for an interview, you will have an additional opportunity.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:48 PM

9,792 posts, read 17,010,948 times
Quote:
Let me clarify a few things. I emailed employers after submitting an application to take the extra steps in notifying them of my interest in the position. I only email those who are participants in the interview/hiring process meaning managers/directors whether in HR or in the actual department. Also let me make not, I just started doing this the second week of July. I have only emailed three employers thus far, most was emailed the end of last week.

I have talked to many Hiring Managers, and a lot of them recommend it. I was just asking for further opinions, but I see this is not popular with some of you on here.
It would not have any impact on our hiring process. Your application is sufficient notice of your interest in the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or