U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,757 posts, read 54,390,602 times

Advertisements

No, because they are just scanning Linked-in for keywords and sending out random emails to people. They are not even looking at any details. This was admitted to me by a recruiter when I responded that the job would be a cut in pay for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 08:35 AM

85 posts, read 61,581 times
Yeah, it does feel good. Particularly when things have been quiet for awhile.

Though what can stink is spending an hour on the phone with one, thinking things are progressing nicely and you get the "I'll run this up to my boss and see if he has anything" line... IE " I've decided your not a great fit and I don't want you to be totally crushed or come across as a jerk, so I'll give you a little bit of false hope to keep your spirits up"

lol

Old 08-01-2018, 08:51 AM

8,788 posts, read 13,277,872 times
Not really I recently changed my cell # so I no longer have to listen to staffing agency recruiters offer me $15 an hour no benefits and have to tell them politely to get bent.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:16 AM

2,053 posts, read 595,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, because they are just scanning Linked-in for keywords and sending out random emails to people. They are not even looking at any details. This was admitted to me by a recruiter when I responded that the job would be a cut in pay for me.
Yeah they have no idea.

I made a fake LinkedIN profile to test the theory and have hundreds of recruiters inboxing that account daily. Real people at the company are sending connection requests as well.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:29 PM

798 posts, read 737,342 times
Exclamation When Headhunters Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Depends on your definition of "Head Hunter"? It's not uncommon for recruiters to be mistakenly thought of as a headhunters.

That's for sure.

Paul......

Old 08-01-2018, 03:36 PM

1,884 posts, read 801,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That doesnít happen to me. Itís always calls or when a position is available. Maybe for low skilled positions.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:35 PM

672 posts, read 706,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Not really I recently changed my cell # so I no longer have to listen to staffing agency recruiters offer me $15 an hour no benefits and have to tell them politely to get bent.
I RUDELY tell them to get ******.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:05 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,196,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It kind of makes you feel in demand and wanted and even better to turn them down. I remember being unemployed and having to have them turn me down!
This is like being the lonely housewife who enjoys being visited by the door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman. He is there entirely for self-interests just like the headhunter. No, a salesman calling doesn't make me feel wanted. Headhunters are on commission just like any other salesman, they aren't there to save you. They spend most of their time looking for work for themselves, and they do this by contacting people who are out of work who they pretend to be interviewing them about places they have worked. What they are really doing is building their leads database of contacts to call to pitch them a stack of resumes they already have.

To be clear. Headhunters are those search firms that get paid a commission like 20% of your annual salary paid for by the company who hires you. A recruiter is someone who works in HR for the company or for the staffing firm. And when headhunters do have a job requirement in 2018, it is because no one else wants the job and for good reason, it is below the market in salary and/or it is a terrible company to work for. So the headhunter lies to you, lies to the company, and tries to get you in there for a low salary.

The headhunters are scum that advertises jobs that simply don't exist just so they can get people who worked at the kind of companies they are trying to do business with. That is a horrible thing to do to people who are unemployed by getting their hopes up and wasting their times. I've seen on a forum where someone who worked at one of those places explained how they worked and it was worst than the rumors. Not surprising really, with all the technology now there is no need for headhunters.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,196,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACareerChaser View Post
Tell me about. Even though I work at a staffing agency in coordination/recruiting. I remember interviewing for Office Team, a couple of days before graduating, for an position within the office. They ended up hiring internally. But, they kept calling me about positions that end up falling through. I don't know what happen with any of them. The next time they would call me there was no mention of the previous prospective position

Since that experience, I will never consider external employment with a staffing agency. I will work internally, though. I love the field. I am only in my 20's, but one of my goals is to start a staffing agency.
This thread is about headhunters, not recruiters. They aren't the same thing. Those who work at staffing firms and companies are recruiters. Headhunters get commission when they get you to take a job through them.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:30 PM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Most of it is blind solicitation, not internal recruiters with real jobs to fill looking for expertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or