U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 PM

25 posts, read 10,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
This thread is about headhunters, not recruiters. They aren't the same thing. Those who work at staffing firms and companies are recruiters. Headhunters get commission when they get you to take a job through them.
The post the user responded to mention staffing agency recruiters, this why he agreed. Some staffing companies are notorious for posting fake jobs and leading people on. This is what many people are talking about in the thread. Doesn't matter if its a recruiter or a headhunter. Both lead people to empty opportunities at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 02:09 PM

799 posts, read 740,861 times
Exclamation When Headhunters Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
...Those who work at staffing firms and companies are recruiters. Headhunters get commission when they get you to take a job through them.

Not quite.

Both 'Recruiters' and 'Headhunters' are paid in commissions. Unless they are self-employed, where they receive and keep the entire recruitment fee.

For the higher-ranking Executive Search firms it is not uncommon for the 'headhunters' to be receiving a base salary plus commission.

Paul.........

Old 08-05-2018, 02:40 PM

2,078 posts, read 609,278 times
Head hunters don't really exist anymore. I know people in C-suite level positions who get automated e-mail solicitations from everyday recruiters. The position level is CMO paying $300k and they say "If interested please apply at iCIMS blah blah blah"

Ummm I'm pretty sure this is not how high level execs are supposed to be recruited

Old 08-08-2018, 12:51 PM

299 posts, read 137,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It kind of makes you feel in demand and wanted and even better to turn them down. I remember being unemployed and having to have them turn me down!
Not really if you are an older worker. Watch the movie "A Family Man".

Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 PM

652 posts, read 246,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It kind of makes you feel in demand and wanted and even better to turn them down. I remember being unemployed and having to have them turn me down!
It's a double edged sword. On one hand, it's nice knowing I have career-security. On the other, many of these recruiters don't freaking listen and just want to push me into roles that they know damn well are not what I'm looking for.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:27 PM

112 posts, read 43,806 times
LOL it's a numbers games with headhunters.

For every job that is available to be filled there are about 100 headhunters and 1000 applicants.

I think that sounds about right. Each headhunter has to compete with the other 99 headhunters so they are going to screen out everyone in the 1000 available pool who has a pulse.

Sometimes, actually most of the time, I hate headhunters. We are just like a number to them. We are just like a piece of bait they use to catch a fish. I'm an anchovy or sardine used to catch a bigger fish, the company, to these headhunters. If me as the bait doesn't work, they simply take me off and use one of the other 999 baits that are available to them. But I guess to companies the headhunters are are also a number and a piece of bait as well.

Ah the circle of life in business. So poetic.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:24 PM

299 posts, read 137,162 times
A friend of mine hates headhunters. He's in a high demand job. Recently one of them made a lunch appointment with him and she blew him off. She sent him an email the next day apologizing and asking to reschedule and he said no thanks.

Last edited by milesfive; 08-08-2018 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 02:07 PM

112 posts, read 43,806 times
I just talked to a recruiter from Robert Half. He was the assistant vp in their office and division director.

He does a skype with me and asks me why I had so many jobs why I left my last job. Basically a 2 minute judgment by this guy who is supposed to know who is the best qualified candidate according to his clients. It's not like he had extensive working experience in companies.

At the end of it he says he will take a look at the opportunities that he has available and then will call me back if he sees anything. I say wait didn't you contact me because you did have something you are working on? Why don't you tell me about that one. He says you may not be a good fit for that one blah blah blah. He basically didn't like me for xyz reason and decided I'm not worth it.

When the recruiters are gone from this planet and get real jobs that's when the working world will be about 30% better than what it is now. These leaches don't provide any service to the job market. Instead companies who choose to use their services, and that's a lot, are held hostage to their judgment and supposed eye for talent. This is why companies are saying they can't hire the right people for the job because of these clowns.

Last edited by bobdog357; 08-09-2018 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 02:27 PM

6,804 posts, read 11,798,375 times
Low unemployment rate. You're not the only one getting contacted by recruiters out of the blue.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:26 PM

86 posts, read 57,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog357 View Post
I just talked to a recruiter from Robert Half. He was the assistant vp in their office and division director.

He does a skype with me and asks me why I had so many jobs why I left my last job. Basically a 2 minute judgment by this guy who is supposed to know who is the best qualified candidate according to his clients. It's not like he had extensive working experience in companies.

At the end of it he says he will take a look at the opportunities that he has available and then will call me back if he sees anything. I say wait didn't you contact me because you did have something you are working on? Why don't you tell me about that one. He says you may not be a good fit for that one blah blah blah. He basically didn't like me for xyz reason and decided I'm not worth it.

When the recruiters are gone from this planet and get real jobs that's when the working world will be about 30% better than what it is now. These leaches don't provide any service to the job market. Instead companies who choose to use their services, and that's a lot, are held hostage to their judgment and supposed eye for talent. This is why companies are saying they can't hire the right people for the job because of these clowns.
Oh man, I hate them. They are notorious for fake listings. In addition, they love to lead you on about positions then ghost you. Then contact you again and do the same. They are unprofessional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or