U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:54 PM

263 posts, read 766,767 times

Advertisements

So I think I've got a good strategy going forward now.

Today I had 2 more interviews. One of which as I suspected would went really well and is for a company that fit my experience and career great. It's pretty much the kind of scenario I was looking for. They want me to come in for the day and work with them as kind of a final "test" to see what I know, etc. I'm okay with this and I've done it before in my field.

I only had 1 in person interview with the company who has said they will be sending me an offer. I'm flattered but I'm also a bit shocked that I didn't get to do more of the whole office "meet and greet" and get introduced to other coworkers I would have steady interaction with.

So I think I've come up with a strategy now.

I'm going to ask the company that is planning to make me an offer if I can come back for a second interview so I can get a chance to meet some of the other people I will be working with and reporting to and get to know them. Since it is a project management job I think this is a reasonable request and a good idea anyway to see how we mesh.

I'm guessing that by making this request it will also buy me some more time. Especially if they have to find an opening in everyone's schedule. So hopefully this will give me until at least the end of next week to do my trial work day at Company B, and some more time to decide who I want to work for.

I have 2 more interviews scheduled that I am going to follow through with, but I basically told the recruiter trying to set me up with more that he only has an open window of Mon, and potentially Wed or Thurs next week and that obviously the trial work day takes priority. At this point I'm not going to be continuing to actively seek out anything new myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Are the 8 to 10 interviews with hiring managers? What is your line of work? Unless you know someone, it is unusual to apply, interview and get hired in two weeks. Good for you.
All of them have been actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
What is your line of work? Unless you know someone, it is unusual to apply, interview and get hired in two weeks. Good for you.
I do Industrial Design/Design Engineering with a Product Development focus. Most of my experience has been in the Furniture, Architectural Interiors, and Store Fixture Industry.

Frankly I'm pretty stunned that this is happening. I'm used to it taking months to get in front of someone for a relevant opening, and this will probably be the 1st time ever in my 14 years as a professional that I am NOT dealing with a relocation to find work. I'm in Long Island, NY so there's obviously a lot going on here, but I didn't expect there to be this much opportunity.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:02 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,315,105 times
My only hesitation with that would be.....(it may not be what you said, but it could be what THEY hear) that it could be taken as YOU want to try THEM out to see if YOU really want to work there. It could be seen as you not being sure you want to take the offer. HR people I think would take affront to that.

HR people just want to get someone hired. Yeah the right person, but they also what to be in the driver's seat about the process. I think they'd misconstrue your intention.

Quote:
I'm going to ask the company that is planning to make me an offer if I can come back for a second interview so I can get a chance to meet some of the other people I will be working with and reporting to and get to know them. Since it is a project management job I think this is a reasonable request and a good idea anyway to see how we mesh.

I'm guessing that by making this request it will also buy me some more time. Especially if they have to find an opening in everyone's schedule. So hopefully this will give me until at least the end of next week to do my trial work day at Company B, and some more time to decide who I want to work for.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:47 PM

So it worked out pretty well in the end. I did end up accepting the job from the company that made me the first offer. It took them about 5 days to give me an informal offer and I asked if they would be okay with giving me an answer the following Mon. That gave me enough time to figure out where I stood with the other companies I was considering.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:58 PM

Glad it worked out for you.
Juggling offers -- with interviews that are in various stages of the process -- can be maddening.

Any more you can update about your situation?
Have you started yet? Did the other job prospects fall through with no offer?
Is this a place you're willing to stay for the foreseeable future?
I don't recall if you said whether this was your preferred job, or just the first to come through.
Congrats!

Old 08-22-2018, 07:51 PM

I started the new job on Monday.

In the end the job that I considered to be the most appealing to me based on fit and previous experience and potential to build upon my skill set, etc. didn't move forward. They wanted me to come in for a "trial work day" (which they would have paid me for at least) and when I told my recruiter to press them for scheduling that because I had a pending off they didn't move forward.

I did however end up using the time to get in front of two other companies, one of which was an intriguing option until I had a 2nd interview and met with the hiring manager to find out exactly what his expectations were (the 1st interview was with 2 of his employees).

The job I took was my 2nd choice, but I'm mostly optimistic about it. I think the more I learn that I will be a good fit for it, I'm just worried at this point about frequent long work hours (salaried so no overtime) and stress. Push comes to shove I can always look again if I'm just not happy there after a year or so.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:54 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,210,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm not in HR but I'm weighing in anyway....

It won't be received well.
1) HR people/bosses/interviewers seem to take it personally when they are not your first choice.
So, unless you think they'll wait for you to choose them -- I wouldn't mention other interviews at this stage.
So in your fantasy life of working in HR or being a hiring manager, this is what you would think? Sorry, but this isn't useful information.

HR and Hiring Managers are like banks. They see money come in and out all day long. They don't take it personally when you take money out, and they don't like you better when you put money in, because it is just a daily business transaction to them.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that they care if you take an offer or not. They have spent months interviewing people and have a list of people to consider for each job opening. If you turn them down, they just move to the next person on the list. Unless you truly have some specialized skill and is in hot demand in the industry, otherwise, they aren't even going to remember you.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:08 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,210,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
I started the new job on Monday.

In the end the job that I considered to be the most appealing to me based on fit and previous experience and potential to build upon my skill set, etc. didn't move forward. They wanted me to come in for a "trial work day" (which they would have paid me for at least) and when I told my recruiter to press them for scheduling that because I had a pending off they didn't move forward.

I did however end up using the time to get in front of two other companies, one of which was an intriguing option until I had a 2nd interview and met with the hiring manager to find out exactly what his expectations were (the 1st interview was with 2 of his employees).

The job I took was my 2nd choice, but I'm mostly optimistic about it. I think the more I learn that I will be a good fit for it, I'm just worried at this point about frequent long work hours (salaried so no overtime) and stress. Push comes to shove I can always look again if I'm just not happy there after a year or so.
I'm glad things worked out for you.

The "trial work day", I consider that a red flag. They should be able to determine from your resume, how you interview, references, education and I presume a portfolio for your industry to extend an offer. Otherwise, it is a bake off to try you out on Monday, and then others for the a day for the rest of the week. This trail work day stuff is a sign of poor management and not respectful to applicants.

As for workings lots of overtime without pay, make sure at the new job you set a schedule and stick to it. If work is over at 5 PM, then make sure you leave promptly and don't linger unless it is a true urgent matter. Even if you have to use the time past 5 PM to prepare for something tomorrow, better to take it home and do it there, because if you routinely give the expectation that you are available past 5 PM, you will end up being delayed all the time and given work very late in the day that is needed for the next morning.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:57 PM

Well eastcoastguyz, I don't know why you apparently have a bone to pick with me.

I said a hiring manager likely wouldn't take it kindly if s/he thought you were delaying your decision so you could consider other offers.

Fishbrains is a hiring manager and said I (selhars) "is largely correct."

"Hearing that you need a week or so, then you are going to weigh my offer with severL others, doesn’t give me great confidence and I would not be inclined to cater to you very much......Typically I want an acceptance within 48 hours of extending the offer."

Old 01-30-2019, 11:47 PM

39 posts, read 6,326 times
If you are the only viable candidate, I would be willing to wait a week. I would also repost the job immediately to start gathering applications for the possibility that you accept a different position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search