Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:15 AM

184 posts, read 335,946 times

Advertisements

About a week and a half ago, I flew out to a final in person interview. The potential employer required that I purchase my own flight and submit a form for reimbursement. They provided detailed instructions for reimbursement, and assurances in writing that I would be reimbursed for this and other travel expenses like meals. I was unhappy about fronting $1K for a last minute flight but I went ahead and did so, and promptly submitted all my receipts according to instructions.

I just got an email today from their administrative offices, asking for "My W-9" so they could reimburse me. ? I emailed back I did not have one, nor did I expect to, since I'm not an independent contractor or consultant. I flew out for an interview. They responded back with a copy of the form, and told me to fill it out.

I've had to travel for other in-person interviews recently. Those companies paid for my flights and hotel, and I was only required to get reimbursement for meals and ground transportation. They have not required any W-9 forms.

What's up with this? Why do they need a W-9?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 11:39 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,835,048 times
They need a W-9 to add you as a vendor in their payee system. The form can be printed off the IRS website pretty easily. Probably has to do with the amount being greater than $700.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
They need a W-9 to add you as a vendor in their payee system. The form can be printed off the IRS website pretty easily. Probably has to do with the amount being greater than $700.
Yes, but then the OP is going to have to pay income tax on the cost of the travel reimbursement because the company is going to report her to the tax authorities as an independent contractor with a 1099 Misc. form. That's unfair, especially if the OP does not itemize their taxes. I think the employer should more accurately report the cost of travel on their own taxes as a business expense and leave the OP out of it since the OP is NOT an employee or contractor for them but just someone they interviewed. They have the receipts. They don't need the OP's Social Security number and they are just going to use it to report the travel expenses as "income" for OP to IRS and state (if warranted) tax authorities.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yes, but then the OP is going to have to pay income tax on the cost of the travel reimbursement because the company is going to report her to the tax authorities as an independent contractor with a 1099 Misc. form. That's unfair, especially if the OP does not itemize their taxes. I think the employer should more accurately report the cost of travel on their own taxes as a business expense and leave the OP out of it since the OP is NOT an employee or contractor for them but just someone they interviewed. They have the receipts. They don't need the OP's Social Security number and they are just going to use it to report the travel expenses as "income" for OP to IRS and state (if warranted) tax authorities.
Not necessarily correct. a W-9 and a 1099 don't have to run hand in hand. And the Op would not have to pay income tax, since it was a legitimate business expense that was simply offset - there's no actual "income" to tax.

Their payee system may just be set up in this manner. Each "vendor" has a file/profile, in order to complete this, a W-9 is needed.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:18 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,797,060 times
I have *never* been asked for a W-9.
Really crappy thing for that employer to do.
Why are they including you as a "contractor"?

You have no options if you want to get paid back it looks like.
I'd cross them off my list.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:25 PM

41,940 posts, read 36,703,214 times
Not that odd, at my last place everyone who got any check cut for anything had to be in the system.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not that odd, at my last place everyone who got any check cut for anything had to be in the system.
Do they run the system by SS#? I thought Social Security told companies, doctor's offices, etc., that the Social Security number is only for one purpose (Social Security) and it's being misused when it is appropriated for private systems, is a violation of privacy to be the identifying number in private systems, and they should make up their own identification numbers for people.

For employees and actual contractors performing services for the company I can see storing Social Security or TI numbers, but this is a reimbursement of a trip.

Does your last place ask the guy who comes to fix the copiers for his SS number too or do they just pay the bill to the repair service?

Old 05-19-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Not necessarily correct. a W-9 and a 1099 don't have to run hand in hand. And the Op would not have to pay income tax, since it was a legitimate business expense that was simply offset - there's no actual "income" to tax.

Their payee system may just be set up in this manner. Each "vendor" has a file/profile, in order to complete this, a W-9 is needed.
And every payee system has a way to override it for exceptions. Or are you saying every time a company with a system like this pays for ANYTHING ... a janitorial service to come in and clean, new computers for the office, etc. ... that they need this magical 9 digit number or they are helpless to make a payment? Come on, let's get real here. They have no need for her SS number in order to write out a check to reimburse her.

Either the A/P Dept. is incompetent or the company is made up of such cheap chiselers that they have figured out that it will be more advantageous for THEM by a few cents to report the payment as employee income rather than a business expense.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:29 PM

And she wouldn't need to supply a SS# on a W-9

Old 05-19-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And every payee system has a way to override it for exceptions. Or are you saying every time a company with a system like this pays for ANYTHING ... a janitorial service to come in and clean, new computers for the office, etc. ... that they need this magical 9 digit number or they are helpless to make a payment? Come on, let's get real here. They have no need for her SS number in order to write out a check to reimburse her.
Yes, they use the ETIN for those companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search