Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:34 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,306 times

Advertisements

Just looking for people's thoughts on this. I'm unhappy in my role, and I think in my company, but things may be different in a new division. I recently saw a position that's quite similar to mine, in a different division, same city. I applied on a whim (more like, I was in an applying frenzy), and got an email back from the recruiter, and we had a phone interview yesterday. It went well, and I am interested in pursuing the role further.

In order to move to the in person interview stage, I would have to notify my current manager. The recruiter suggested doing this lightly (I guess concern bout this is something she hears a lot).

My manager is what I hate about my job. Too long to get into here. But, I'm committed to doing my job until find something else to get the hell out. If I get the new role, then no problem. If I don't, though, then I've tipped my hand that I am looking - although I could possibly spin that I saw it and explored.

I don't think my manager would be vengeful or block the move - after all, she stole me from my last manager. I'm just worried about exposing the job hunt.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 09:58 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Just say it. If nothing else it tells your manager you are looking for something better and if they want to keep you, they might need to bring more to the table. There is nothing wrong with your boss knowing you are looking at other jobs within the company.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:22 AM

Thanks. I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise. I don't think it would do anything as far as retention....my division has made it clear that's not really their priority.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:26 AM

345 posts, read 252,126 times
If you don't tell your current manager and she finds out it could be worse.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:47 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Most companies have documented policy/protocol on interviewing internally.
If yours doesn't, I'd certainly inform your current manager that you are exploring an internal opportunity since they would hear it from the hiring manager anyways. As a manager, I hate surprises.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:38 PM

Yes, we do have a policy. I am not able to interview without informing her. I'm not questioning whether or not I should tell her - just thinking about longer term implications if she now knows I am looking. (aka, do I want to move forward with the in person interview or not).

jaypee, as a manager, if one of your direct reports informed you of this, and then subsequently did not get the new role for whatever reason, would you chalk it up to a one time thing or would you assume that the person was looking externally as well? Basically, I just don't want to make my day to day working hours more complicated or tense while I am looking for a new role. And my manager is the main reason I want out. I like her very much as a person, and would love to someday catch up with her over a glass of wine, but working for her is no bueno - she is not a good people manager.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:45 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Yes, we do have a policy. I am not able to interview without informing her. I'm not questioning whether or not I should tell her - just thinking about longer term implications if she now knows I am looking. (aka, do I want to move forward with the in person interview or not).

jaypee, as a manager, if one of your direct reports informed you of this, and then subsequently did not get the new role for whatever reason, would you chalk it up to a one time thing or would you assume that the person was looking externally as well? Basically, I just don't want to make my day to day working hours more complicated or tense while I am looking for a new role. And my manager is the main reason I want out. I like her very much as a person, and would love to someday catch up with her over a glass of wine, but working for her is no bueno - she is not a good people manager.
As a manager, I'd like to be able to help my staff reach whatever career goals they have set out for themselves. For the ones that I don't care for as much, I'd certainly try to get them out of my group faster
When I was looking to transfer internally, I would meet the hiring manager under the guise of information gathering so I wouldn't have to tell my current manager anything. Once I decide to formally interview, then I would inform.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:57 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
You canNOT interview for the job if you don't tell her so the only issue is HOW you tell her, and what you say, or DON'T say, to your manager.
1) the boss doesn't have to know you're looking to: get away from her, OR that you're looking outside the company, because if you don't' get this your looking to lave 'cause you can't stand her.

Keep it simple. You've seen and applied for an internal position so you wouldn't be leaving the company….. and that
-- you will be interviewing for -- or --
-- would like to interview for (depending on which fits)

And throw in some BS filler about how it's an great opportunity your excited about. yada yada yada. That's it.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:18 PM

Well, I spoke with the recruiter again today. They want to move forward with interviews, and I am going to go for it. Everyone is telling me not to worry about it, that people move around internally all the time. My old boss reminded me that she can't get too upset since she poached me from him. I even asked our HR generalist her thoughts (I have spoken with her before about my unhappiness in the role) and she said pretty much the same thing, and commended me for pursuing other opportunities.

We were supposed to meet for a 1:1 today, but as usual she blew me off. It's also been a rough day on a few of our projects so maybe better to wait until tomorrow anyway.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Well, I told her, and she took it well. Seemed surprised but wished me luck and said she was supportive of me trying to move along in my career. We shall see. Now for the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search