U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 08:22 AM

225 posts, read 98,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisei View Post
[...] those automatic-renewal contracts [...]
...with minimum intervall times of 24 months

I recently got rid off all of mine. 1&1 offers internet without automatic-renewal by the way. Also, I found out, many times a move abroad is a valid reason to get out of these contracts. Can't say if it actually works well when trying to do it. You know how that fine-print thing tends to work out in Germany...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 09:46 AM

28,521 posts, read 62,235,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisei View Post
...the best places are for someone with an economics degree and some accounting/finance
...it's pretty much a question of which states are most favorable.
Why are you limiting yourself to government jobs? And County level at that?

I'd suggest focusing on German (and EU) multi-national corporations with US executive presence.
Your language skills and social/soft experience might be your best attribute.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:53 PM

161 posts, read 63,958 times
For several reasons:

I'm 46 and my work experience from Germany isn't of great relevance in the US, so I won't be working in those areas

I've worked in different positions in different industries and as a result have never had career progression

I've pretty much never used my degree, so don't have much relevant work experience related to my studies

I am a military veteran, so would have some sort of preference with the federal government and at least some state governments, and

Knowing German at the worker bee level at the US subsidiaries of German companies isn't a big advantage (everything gets translated into English back in Germany, something I did for the last company I worked for).

There would be two small, but perhaps crucial advantages (one of which you noted):

Familiarity with the German business culture and experience working in an international environment

HR would be able to understand my work references from Germany

However, I think those are greatly outweighed by the advantages for public sector employment. It would be a different matter if I was, say, an management accountant with 20 years of experience, most of it international, but I am starting at entry level.

If there are any holes in my thinking, please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or