U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 07:52 PM

1,991 posts, read 874,555 times

Advertisements

Why can’t companies just tell applicants if they need or cover letter or not? It seems that even recruiters can’t be consistent cause some will say it’s good to write one while others will say none is needed.

Here in NYC I think the MTA is the only company/organization that does a good job of only asking for a resume with follow up questions related to the job to see how many you can reply yes to.

Frustrating to think that all the work you put into them and half probably don’t even got noticed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 08:30 PM

9,049 posts, read 8,459,188 times
I put cover letter as a requirement on every job I post. I read every one as well. No ambiguity.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I put cover letter as a requirement on every job I post. I read every one as well. No ambiguity.
I respect that and I also respect recruiters on LinkedIn who are straightforward about it. Just feel that company websites aren稚.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 AM

3,416 posts, read 5,218,032 times
I was a successful 3rd party (ie I was not employed by the employer) recruiter for many years. I've never read a cover letter. Cover letters are usually nothing but meaningless subjective 'fluff.' You're a team player, your skills match my job description, you're looking for a stable employer, your salary requirements are flexible etc is all fluff. Who has time to read all that fluff?

A 3rd party recruiter is looking for things like: skills (both depth & breadth), special training in a skill, years of stable employment, past employers, career progression, periods of unemployment, degrees and universities, current location, legal work status etc.

If you feel the need to include a cover letter or the employer requires a cover letter:
1. Avoid all salary requirements
2. Never bad mouth your current or a past employer
3. Put all job-related important facts on your resume not your cover letter
4. Assume your cover letter will not be read by the initial screening person or system
5. Do not include references in a cover letter or anywhere (your references may be a better job fit than you)

If the employer is interested in you, you will probably be asked for references somewhere during the hiring process. Always make every reference knows that you are using them as a reference. Pre-qualify every reference ie. If XYZ company calls you, what are you going to say about me? If your reference hesitates, don't use them as a reference. Some of my most favorite conversations were references who just couldn't wait to backstab you because they held a deep grudge against you. I would always ask a reference "Would you hire him/her?" The answer better be an unqualified "yes."

Old 08-10-2018, 06:50 AM

2,078 posts, read 610,748 times
It's 2018. No more cover letters. If you have to write a cover letter it means you're not getting the job. (Talking private employers here)

For certain government employers, cover letters are probably also a waste of time. I doubt they are read. I know an HR guy in City of NY he hasn't read any cover letters since he started the job 5 years ago.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:51 AM

Looks like my point was proven. Two recruiters and two different outlooks on cover letters.

What I致e decided to do is write cover letters for the sector I want to work in (Healthcare) but not write letters for sectors that are main priority (finance etc). I値l just submit a resume to those unless specifically asked!

Old 08-10-2018, 07:57 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,954,358 times
That makes sense. Cover letters should be written for an industry that you are trying to break in. I have a generic one I use when asked. I customized one for a sector I was trying to get in to. No sale. How do you compete when there are applicants who have worked their way up ? I looked at a recent hire's profile. Her experience is in line with the position. The only thing I had going for me is I work in the same industry that is so vast.

They have administrative residencies but I think they are looking for people in their twenties that graduated from a brick and mortar school. Not interested.

If financially feasible, try for a lower level job to gain experience or volunteer for a few hours in your desired field. The door is closing. I am going to the library now to apply to some more jobs. Sigh!

Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
That makes sense. Cover letters should be written for an industry that you are trying to break in. I have a generic one I use when asked. I customized one for a sector I was trying to get in to. No sale. How do you compete when there are applicants who have worked their way up ? I looked at a recent hire's profile. Her experience is in line with the position. The only thing I had going for me is I work in the same industry that is so vast.

They have administrative residencies but I think they are looking for people in their twenties that graduated from a brick and mortar school. Not interested.

If financially feasible, try for a lower level job to gain experience or volunteer for a few hours in your desired field. The door is closing. I am going to the library now to apply to some more jobs. Sigh!
I知 trying to break into the risk and compliance industry. I have an MPA. Would you write cover letters?

Old 08-10-2018, 11:45 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,954,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I知 trying to break into the risk and compliance industry. I have an MPA. Would you write cover letters?
Yes, but it is not going to get you interviews. H.R is most concerned with experience. If you are pursuing a field with plenty of applicants then you may be in trouble. Competition is fierce. I would focus on your resume. Does it match the job description? Make sure you can explain it. Do not rest on your Master's. If all is equal, it may give you an edge but it is not likely the rep will call to discuss your coursework.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Yes, but it is not going to get you interviews. H.R is most concerned with experience. If you are pursuing a field with plenty of applicants then you may be in trouble. Competition is fierce. I would focus on your resume. Does it match the job description? Make sure you can explain it. Do not rest on your Master's. If all is equal, it may give you an edge but it is not likely the rep will call to discuss your coursework.
Right. Currently I知 networking with people who are passing along my resume. I have an appointment with an recruiter on Monday. Another recruiter contacted me on indeed but I got no response and will wait till Monday.

I know experience is everything which is why I知 seeking entry level positions. Kind of insane how even entry level jobs have strong experience needs. Why even call it Entry level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search