U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:33 PM

61 posts, read 29,614 times

Advertisements

The other day, a recruiter contacted me, out of the blue, on LinkedIn about Account Executive positions that opened up. The employer is the city daily newspaper here.

I'm supposed to be interviewed next week, and I'm guessing the position involves sales/marketing/advertising. I'm sure this position is legit (I checked out the job posting) but I'm still surprised that I got a message from a recruiter I had never talked to before.

Like the thread title says: what is an account exec? Is it common on LinkedIn for recruiters to reach out to you about a position?

EDIT: is an AE limited to just one thing, like making phone calls all day, to get people to buy ad space in the newspaper? Or does an AE do other things as well?

Last edited by LeeWong; 08-11-2018 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Asked additional question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 11:12 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,199,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeWong View Post
The other day, a recruiter contacted me, out of the blue, on LinkedIn about Account Executive positions that opened up. The employer is the city daily newspaper here.

I'm supposed to be interviewed next week, and I'm guessing the position involves sales/marketing/advertising. I'm sure this position is legit (I checked out the job posting) but I'm still surprised that I got a message from a recruiter I had never talked to before.

Like the thread title says: what is an account exec? Is it common on LinkedIn for recruiters to reach out to you about a position?

EDIT: is an AE limited to just one thing, like making phone calls all day, to get people to buy ad space in the newspaper? Or does an AE do other things as well?
An Account Executive is a combination of sales person, project manager and customer service for each Account assigned to them.

Without seeing the actual job description, the AE at a newspaper is mostly likely the liaison to the client for Advertising Sales. The client might be a large company in the area like Macy's who buys a lot of advertising in the newspaper, or it could be a car dealer who also frequently buys ad space too.

At a newspaper if your role is truly doing Ad Sales, there could be a commission or bonus structure tied to meeting your sales goals. Ad Sales are real sales jobs, where they are keeping in contact with current customers and work on getting new ones. They pitch new ad sales campaigns to a businesses.

Do you have sales experience in your background? Is it on your Linkedin profile? That might be why you were contacted.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:34 PM

61 posts, read 29,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
An Account Executive is a combination of sales person, project manager and customer service for each Account assigned to them.

Without seeing the actual job description, the AE at a newspaper is mostly likely the liaison to the client for Advertising Sales. The client might be a large company in the area like Macy's who buys a lot of advertising in the newspaper, or it could be a car dealer who also frequently buys ad space too.

At a newspaper if your role is truly doing Ad Sales, there could be a commission or bonus structure tied to meeting your sales goals. Ad Sales are real sales jobs, where they are keeping in contact with current customers and work on getting new ones. They pitch new ad sales campaigns to a businesses.

Do you have sales experience in your background? Is it on your Linkedin profile? That might be why you were contacted.

I have little experience in sales, and wasn't very good at it, or cut out for it. But my L/I profile may have "sales" as one of my skills.

Is it possible in this job to be exposed to some of the more interesting aspects of digital marketing?

Old 08-12-2018, 09:04 AM

2,067 posts, read 599,290 times
Quote:
I have little experience in sales, and wasn't very good at it, or cut out for it. But my L/I profile may have "sales" as one of my skills.

Is it possible in this job to be exposed to some of the more interesting aspects of digital marketing?
Yes usually Digital marketing or Tech (B2B SaaS).

You shouldn't interview unless you have solid product, tech, niche or process knowledge that can offset your low natural sales ability (there are some who can sell practically anything)

Old 08-12-2018, 09:41 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
what exactly is an account executive?
A salesman.
But, like in marketing, there will be a better wardrobe and vocabulary.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:56 AM

662 posts, read 223,450 times
And since the recruiter works for the company trying to fill the pisition...don't get too excited. You are part if the numbers game. Sorry. “Recruiters” have not assited ne much.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:08 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,199,734 times
Quote:

That would certainly be a question to ask, because newspapers have been moving more towards online advertising. Other digital marketing aspects might be doing drip e-mail campaigns for the newspaper to engage and increase the subscription base. Or get more impressions and traffic for their website.

Since at the newspaper you would be functioning like their in-house ad agency for the clients, you might be able to use this to make solid contacts with the clients and take a full-time job with them. This is common in ad agencies of people who work on large client accounts to end up taking a position with the client company. So you could take this position with the plan to use it to increase your network.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,468,567 times
If you are selling online content, it's a growing area of the newspaper business. If you are selling paper subscriptions, you may not have a job long. Many city papers have been going through, when their digital transition failed. You have to have a special niche or a national audience to survive.

The tariffs on Canadian newsprint is accelerating the demise of printed newspaper in America. If your newspaper is not politically connected, they won't get the exclusion from the tariffs.

Canadian Newsprint Tariffs and Faster Newspaper Layoffs in America: https://www.google.com/search?q=news...=2110&bih=1025

Old 08-14-2018, 05:07 AM

662 posts, read 223,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
And since the recruiter works for the company trying to fill the pisition...don't get too excited. You are part if the numbers game. Sorry. “Recruiters” have not assited ne much.
I should have proofed before posting! Yikes!

Old 08-24-2018, 04:13 AM

1,203 posts, read 356,225 times
Default Acct Exec

An Account Executive is the person who oversees everyone's work on a client account. This position is in sales and advertising. In sales, once an account has been secured for the company by the sales team, the Account Executive takes over to ensure future business with the client.
In advertising, the Account Executive oversees the ad campaign. They put the ad team together, and have final approval for what is presented to the client. An Account Executive is usually a promotion from Creative Director, since they mostly do the art and handle the music. Copywriters usually stay copywriters if they can't do a storyboard, or put together a music score for the ad.
If the client takes their business elsewhere, it's the execs fault. If the campaign flops, it's the execs fault. If the campaign is a success, it's a win for the exec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or