U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 11:46 PM

902 posts, read 909,886 times

Advertisements

This agency is silly, but it's so you don't:

- Go to another agency, potentially, to play the "who will present me at the highest salary?" game.

- Apply to the position yourself, outside of the agency. The agency can't represent you then. "Who would do that?" you think. People are stupider than you think.

Just tell them you are interested, but need to know the name of the company before you agree to an interview. Be straight up and tell them if they can't provide that, then you will NOT put yourself up for consideration for this role. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 09:32 AM

300 posts, read 107,721 times
I agree with all other posters who have said to not proceed further. This does strike me as shady.

Another idea would be to offer to go through a phone pre-screening or interview, but even that is likely giving more than you'd want to in this situation. They should absolutely be willing to give you basic details about the company and the job - basic information like expected dates, salary ranges, work environment, etc.

If the recruiter isn't telling you because they don't know, run. If the recruiter does know and isn't telling you for another reason, also run.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:45 PM

1,541 posts, read 399,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampoid13 View Post
I get contacted by a recruiter for a position I might be interested in. Same type of work and a little closer to home, but don't know the salary range yet. They want to interview me this week if possible.

Naturally I ask for more details before wasting my lunch break one day on an interview for a company I may or may not want to work for. She won't say anymore about it other than they are a manufacturing company and where they are located. No name, no hints as to what they produce, nothing about the size of the company or how well established they are. Just wants to know if I'm interested in interviewing with them. Is it too much to ask for a little more information before committing to an interview?

Recruiters are such a pain in the butt sometimes.
Headhunters, these are headhunters. They get paid a commission when you get hired.

Anyone who says they don't know the salary is lying. Recuiters and headhunters know what the salary range for the position is. It is one of the first questions headhunters ask the employer.

If they won't tell you the salary range, then it is going to be a low paying job and a whole host of other problems about it.

Always insist on the name of the company telling them, "I need to know to make sure I wasn't already submitted". That usually gives you the name. But in general, it is best to avoid headhunters because they lie to the candidates and they lie to the employers. They are like realtors, because they are on commission. A realtor will sell you anything and a headhunter will talk you into taking any job telling you stuff about it that is so untrue it is laughable.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:15 PM

12,258 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Yeah this is typical practice and the reason they don't list the clients name should be obvious - if you knew then potentially you could contact the company directly, if you bypass the recruiter and go directly to the company the recruiter loses his commission.
Headhunters aren't all bad (although many of them are), make them work for you, not the other way around. Their commission is usually based on the salary paid so the more you get the more they make. The last one I used years ago got me a good job and negotiated a sizable sign-on bonus paid to me. This of course applies to professional highly skilled jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search