U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 06:45 PM

4,194 posts, read 2,488,898 times

Advertisements

I am going to be 51 next month. I have a good retirement coming in now. The jobs I have been looking at are short term, but more physical labor than mental labor.
I need to also focus on jobs for short term, less potential injuries.
Age discrimination is very obvious in government contracting where I work. There are people we work for that have no clue to the work, and yet wont pay for someone at our age that can do both the job and manage it, when a younger kid who just graduated can manage it for significantly less using us as guidance. I wont intentionally let someone fail when it can be financially a burden on everyone.
Didnt mean to digress, but looking for a job at my age means Lowes/Home depot..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 08:54 AM

6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
Quote:
yet wont pay for someone at our age that can do both the job and manage it,
Yep. They'd rather pay for less -- and GET less. Than pay more and get more.
They'd rather pay less, and provide a lesser quality product or service, and (at least potentially) lose customers -- than be better from the start. Oh, well....

That's why finding great employers who will pay for excellence -- and recognize the excellence that some experienced workers can provide -- are so rare.

Head in the sand or not -- I'm not conceding to consider someone over 45 -- an "older" worker. That's ridiculous. Just as is referring to someone over 55 as "older" as a pejorative. And the excellent experience they offer and work they can do? What of that?

Old 08-27-2018, 05:46 PM

1,580 posts, read 824,872 times
I would advise anyone "older" looking for work, to seek a government job. I don't mean contracting, but working for an actual government entity. They are less discriminatory in their hiring practices.

At 50, I couldn't get a private employer to give me the time of day. But I had lots of interviews for government jobs.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:00 PM

17,267 posts, read 10,194,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I would advise anyone "older" looking for work, to seek a government job. I don't mean contracting, but working for an actual government entity. They are less discriminatory in their hiring practices.

At 50, I couldn't get a private employer to give me the time of day. But I had lots of interviews for government jobs.
What kinds of positions?

I'd apply if I could, but I have zero job skills that I'd think would be marketable for those types of jobs. I'm thinking engineering, accounting, medical, etc. I don't have any good skills, just what I've been doing mostly manual type labor.

I recently got rejected for a job I interviewed for, the first time in my life I've not gotten a position after someone working at the job recommended me. Supposedly I was 'overqualified,' which probably means I'm too old and costly. I knew it was a long shot, since those interviewing me were at least 15-20 years younger except for the hiring manager, and the people I'd be working with were mostly out of college. It is what it is, at least I still have a job.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What kinds of positions?

I'd apply if I could, but I have zero job skills that I'd think would be marketable for those types of jobs. I'm thinking engineering, accounting, medical, etc. I don't have any good skills, just what I've been doing mostly manual type labor.

I recently got rejected for a job I interviewed for, the first time in my life I've not gotten a position after someone working at the job recommended me. Supposedly I was 'overqualified,' which probably means I'm too old and costly. I knew it was a long shot, since those interviewing me were at least 15-20 years younger except for the hiring manager, and the people I'd be working with were mostly out of college. It is what it is, at least I still have a job.
I am not sure where your interests are, but yes, lots of gov jobs in accounting (that is my background). Since you would be a newbie to the field, the pay might not be what you are used to, but you need to calculate benefits as part of your salary (which are better with the government). There is great mobility once you are in, too. You can move from agency to agency, etc., all while still being with the same employer.

Don't feel badly - my degree is in General Studies - not exactly a goldmine, lol! You will gain the skills you need. In the meantime, take what you are interested in and maybe sign up for on-line classes while you are searching.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 PM

I am looking at government jobs too. We shall see. I dont need any benefits, as I am retired military.
But labor jobs arent my cup of tea anymore.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:16 PM

17,267 posts, read 10,194,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I am not sure where your interests are, but yes, lots of gov jobs in accounting (that is my background). Since you would be a newbie to the field, the pay might not be what you are used to, but you need to calculate benefits as part of your salary (which are better with the government). There is great mobility once you are in, too. You can move from agency to agency, etc., all while still being with the same employer.

Don't feel badly - my degree is in General Studies - not exactly a goldmine, lol! You will gain the skills you need. In the meantime, take what you are interested in and maybe sign up for on-line classes while you are searching.
My degree was also in General Studies, but am studying for a Masters in Quality Assurance. It's something I started before and don't know if it's even going to do anything for me, but am too far in it to quit.

I'm ok with a lower salary as long as the benefits and security are there. I just don't have any real skills now so will have to figure it out.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:51 AM

6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
TSA is always hiring....somewhere.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
TSA is always hiring....somewhere.
Nothing wrong working there. Of course the left and media love to differ.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:10 PM

Steve, keep looking - it takes longer to receive an official job offer, but once you are in, you are in (assuming you do a good job, etc.). Patience is a must - they can drag their feet doing the background checks, etc.

Suburban Guy, keep going with your Masters! I don't know, QA sounds like something that is very much needed! Don't quit!

Selhars, very true! I hear the pay is not bad, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search