U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:51 PM

17,270 posts, read 10,194,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Steve, keep looking - it takes longer to receive an official job offer, but once you are in, you are in (assuming you do a good job, etc.). Patience is a must - they can drag their feet doing the background checks, etc.

Suburban Guy, keep going with your Masters! I don't know, QA sounds like something that is very much needed! Don't quit!

Selhars, very true! I hear the pay is not bad, either.
Thank you! I'm glad you mentioned government and I will definitely start to look into that. I'm just looking for something stable for my twilight years. I figure I can give about 10 more years of hard, good quality work, and then I'll take my chances with whatever I have saved and social security and move to a cheap country overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 09:21 AM

1,580 posts, read 824,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thank you! I'm glad you mentioned government and I will definitely start to look into that. I'm just looking for something stable for my twilight years. I figure I can give about 10 more years of hard, good quality work, and then I'll take my chances with whatever I have saved and social security and move to a cheap country overseas.
Sounds like a good plan.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:45 AM

10,287 posts, read 4,865,859 times
Quote:
I would advise anyone "older" looking for work, to seek a government job. I don't mean contracting, but working for an actual government entity. They are less discriminatory in their hiring practices.

At 50, I couldn't get a private employer to give me the time of day. But I had lots of interviews for government jobs.
Interesting - I was pretty happy at my current part time job but I bought my late aunt's house which now puts me 35-45 minutes away and the job is 12 hours a week at $12 an hour. To me it was just a paycheck but I do my job well and I enjoyed the work most of the time. Little to now contact with agents or clients. Now they are trying to turn it into a career position which I am not interested in at all including wanting us to meditate for 15 minutes a day and come up with a mission statement. WTH? I have never been able to meditate and I don't have much creativity in me - those are not my gifts.

I updated my resume but it's not easy finding a part time office job where you don't have to work every day and where you don't deal with the public. I am 63 and must work for at least another year or two but I'm really nervous about the whole job search and interview process. I found my current job because my niece works there and I filled in on occasion when someone was on vacation.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:57 AM

6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
Quote:
Selhars, very true! I hear the pay is not bad, either.
You're joking, right?
Although, I suppose what one considers "not bad" is relative.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:07 PM

58 posts, read 29,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Don't overlook Central and South America. Lots of expatriots move to those regions in retirement because of low COL and affordable health care. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2018, 05:36 AM

662 posts, read 223,253 times
Quote:
I would advise anyone "older" looking for work, to seek a government job. I don't mean contracting, but working for an actual government entity. They are less discriminatory in their hiring practices.

At 50, I couldn't get a private employer to give me the time of day. But I had lots of interviews for government jobs.

I need to do that....

Old 09-07-2018, 05:38 AM

662 posts, read 223,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
So much to say as a previous insurance agency owner...that business is a "throw the S against the wall and see what sticks" model. They want you to take all the risk and of course profit off of any written business when you leave.

It's a very tough business. 80% of new agents fail because after you get done writing your friends and family, the REAL challenge starts which is finding a consistent source of new clients.

The insurance industry is decades behind the times when it comes to recruiting and nurturing producers.

BTW, every insurance recruiter and their Mother contacted me when I listed my resume on the job sites. When they saw that I have insurance experience, they thought they would see if I would take another risk on my dime.
Thank you for your input. Much appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search