Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:01 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,478,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I hoping Robert Half lands me a contract position with JP Morgan. Cool thing is he told me the manger there likes working with employeees who lack experience
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 03:10 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,478,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We post jobs first on our own website then Linked-in and other sites, but those all have links back to our website, which is the only way to apply. The difference is that if you click the link from Linked-in or another site that is carried through your application to our system. As a hiring manager I will know that you came from Linked-in rather than directly to our site. That can actually make a difference in some cases with all else being equal between two strong candidates. The fact that you went to our site implies that you were looking for a job with us. When it came from another source like Linked-in, it means that you were looking for a job. I would not make a decision on whether to interview based on that, but if the interview confirms it, I would much rather hire someone that really wants to work for us.
I find that to be a strange factor to consider. I look for employment based on the job being offered. I research the company after I receive a request for an interview. I often wonder if employers are seeking employees who can successfully perform the job.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:28 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,113,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Awesome. I did visit a recruiting company Robert Half last week and he did say he would try to get me into JP Morgan. He said most likely a contract job but I don’t care just get me anything and I’ll work with it.
I am in the financial services industry. The banks often hire people through contract-to-hire, instead of direct hire. The FTE offers are really awesome, when you take into account bonus and benefits. You have to make a high salary request, when they offer you the job. I went high and let them knock me down.

At a different bank, I was offered base salary nearly the same as my hourly rate. The bonus added another 10-15%. On the tech side supporting retail banking, non-mgmt VP roles are typically $110k-139k+ base for data, cyber-security, or IT work in low cost of living areas.

If you are on the investment banking side, those numbers may be around $125k-159k. In NYC, the numbers may be another $20k higher.

The hourly rates may be the same at a bank vs other companies, because it's the agencies that control your pay.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:53 AM

2 posts, read 863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We post jobs first on our own website then Linked-in and other sites, but those all have links back to our website, which is the only way to apply. The difference is that if you click the link from Linked-in or another site that is carried through your application to our system. As a hiring manager I will know that you came from Linked-in rather than directly to our site. That can actually make a difference in some cases with all else being equal between two strong candidates. The fact that you went to our site implies that you were looking for a job with us. When it came from another source like Linked-in, it means that you were looking for a job. I would not make a decision on whether to interview based on that, but if the interview confirms it, I would much rather hire someone that really wants to work for us.

But this approach wouldn't work unless the company is quite well known. For people to search for job openings for a specific company on their website I think the company has to be a big brand or at least well known in the particular industry or niche.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:03 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,113,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannacote View Post
But this approach wouldn't work unless the company is quite well known. For people to search for job openings for a specific company on their website I think the company has to be a big brand or at least well known in the particular industry or niche.
If I see the LinkedIn job ad, I usually click on the company name to go to their company profile. Their company profile will have a link to their company website. I navigate to their career section and apply there. I hope that helps.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:03 AM

602 posts, read 504,275 times
I think a good analogy would be applying to a university via the Common App vs. applying through the school's website. Neither would likely be seen in a negative light, but there might be slightly different impressions on you're shopping around for a job/college vs. looking to work/attend at a particular place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search